• Register Today It's free!

pcv valve?

bradsx

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ex 4x4
i have a 97 sohc 4.0.....how do i replace pcv valve? its way in back of engine. do i just pull off hoses and just pull the valve up ( pry out ) to take off?

thanks!!

Yes, that's pretty much it. While you're at it, it would be a good idea to make sure the hose isn't blocked.

Mine was a 2001 SOHC, assuming yours looks the same, don't just try to pull the valve off the hose. there's a plastic clip/clamp that holds the PCV valve in the hose and supports it. i refer to these kind of clips as "ratchet style" in that they have interlocking opposing teeth. to release them you have to disengage the teeth. i find a small screw driver works best to accomplish this. even with the clip disconnected the valve can be very difficult to remove, as the old rubber hose tends to become stiff.

i also found it easier to disconnect the 2 smaller hoses from the intake manifold before removing the valve. mine had a plastic "T" fitting, which i had to remove from the top of the PCV valve and reuse. it's best to buy a Motorcraft brand PCV valve, as cheap valves can make noise and the plastic "T" fitting fits better on the Motorcraft valve.

Back