• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Off Road Edition???

kshel699

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have looked at lots, searched the internet, and looked at every 2002-2006 Explorer I can find and the only one I have seen with "off road edition" on it is my dads. It is in the pin stripe on the front of the fenders. Is this something someone has added on or is there really an off road edition. I know my Bronco is an off road edition but it has no badges. It just has quad front shocks, factory rocker guard tubes, factory fender flares and the stock tires are 31x10.50-15. Just not sure why his explorer says it. We see no differences between this one and his last one. His current one is a 2004 XLS 4x4 4.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of that before, but I don't get out much :) Does it have to hooks on the front? What is the axle code?

It has open 3.55 gears and no it does not have hooks.

No such thing as an off-road edition. There was an off-road package. This included tow hooks, a gas tank skid plate and (I believe) stiffer shocks. There were no special pinstripes or emblems. The only visible clue to a vehicle having this option package would have been the tow hooks.

Sounds like some kid added the sticker, just to be "cool"

:ttiwwp:

Pictures, or it "doesn't exist."

Ford has a pretty standard form of decals. Post a picture of your dads decal, this may let us know right away if it was OE. Could have been something the dealer did as well.

Off Road is an option package. This was selected on an Eddie Bauer. I guarantee there were no "Off Road" stickers on it.

OFF ROAD.jpg

I'd love to post a pic, but cant figure out how...

A good way to post a pic is to first upload it to a host site such a photobucket, once you have done that, click on share and copy the image code for forums and boards, and paste the code directly into your post. the image will then show in your post without requiring viewers to follow a link.

My dad ran across a person today who has a 2004 that bought it brand new and his has this sticker too. It appears that for the first part of 2004 they were on all 4x4's. my dads was built october 2003 and the other guys was late 2003 also.

My dad ran across a person today who has a 2004 that bought it brand new and his has this sticker too. It appears that for the first part of 2004 they were on all 4x4's. my dads was built october 2003 and the other guys was late 2003 also.

My guess is that a dealer down there slapped the sticker on it and the other one. It doesn't look anything like a Ford factory decal. Here's a link to the 2004 Ford Explorer brochure.

I suppose that is possible. Definitely not on all of them. Thanks for the input.

A Torsen diff would be a must like on an FX4 package.

Back