• Register Today It's free!

New trans being installed 5R55s

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
would you replace coolant lines, external cooler, and radiator?
2008 4.0 4x4. 135,000 on odo. No reverse. Broken band. Won't move anymore. I'm concerned about contamination throughout the system including the radiator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can blow the lines out with compressed air.

Would you repace the rest of the items. Since I do a lot of desert and mountain driving I plan on installing a B&M fan cooled external trans oil cooler too. I'm concerned about heat killing my new investment.

I also read somewhere the semi synthetic mercon V is a good choice.

When I called a dealer for a quote on my v8, they said the high price they gave me ($ 5000) included a new cooler.
When I did my tranny on the v6 (reverse band gone, thank you Ford), I bought 2 cans of the tranny flush thingy, used some brass fittings to connect it to lines, and blew the old junk that way. I did it both ways, worked very well. And then I finished with compressed air. Total cost $ 25

Great idea!

I used an empty juice jag on one end to collect the old fluid, flushed the line that way, switched the jag to the other end and used the second can of flush to blow it the other way. Then air compressor.

IMG_7048_zpsmpqy3tdj.jpg

IMG_7047_zpslverwikk.jpg

IMG_7046_zpsgtrgupur.jpg

Extremely clever. Thanks for the great idea. Did you do the same to the cooler too?

Mine does not have the cooler, just the transmission integrated one.

Back