• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid Wiring Question

ctgriffi

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Usually I snap a quick photo on a job like this, so it's a no-brainer to put it back together, but didn't have my phone handy...

So, I pulled this solenoid off my '97 Explorer to bench test it 'cause I'm troubleshooting starting issues. It worked fine on the bench: good solid click on/off, with complete continuity at the main posts when activated. Anyway, I just can't remember where this one wire should be attached... didn't want to do something hasty and then blow a fuse, etc.

Can somebody please confirm if the loose wire in the photo should be on the TOP or BOTTOM terminal?

KgrVK4t.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just looked at mine, go's on the bottom...

Thanks, Pete!

In terms of paying it forward... if you're reading this post because your truck won't start either, make sure to closely examine your battery cables for corrosion, especially at the positive terminal connection. I had to trim back about 3/4" of nasty, corroded cable to find the good copper, then reclamp it it in the battery terminal connector. Started right up easily, after that.

(Also, I need to find a good rubber boot to protect that connector, since it's open to the elements at the moment, which is probably why it failed in the first place.)

In terms of paying it forward... if you're reading this post because your truck won't start either, make sure to closely examine your battery cables for corrosion, especially at the positive terminal connection. I had to trim back about 3/4" of nasty, corroded cable to find the good copper, then reclamp it it in the battery terminal connector. Started right up easily, after that.

(Also, I need to find a good rubber boot to protect that connector, since it's open to the elements at the moment, which is probably why it failed in the first place.)

I doubt adding a protective boot to the terminal connector, assuming you could find one, will help prevent battery corrosion (and may even make it worse). You're dealing with a 21 year old vehicle. Stuff just needs to be replaced periodically and preventive maintenance becomes critical as a vehicle ages.

IMO, The build up of green/blue corrosion is a result of the lead terminal of the battery not sealing properly to the top of the plastic battery case. This causes a small amount of acid to leak out, which then causes the sulfate corrosion. This is very common with lead acid batteries.

A lot of people slow down corrosion with some axle grease, silicone brake grease, or petroleum jelly. Silicone brake grease is most effective but also the biggest PITA to get off later should you want to. The axle grease and petroleum jelly will dissolve off with gasoline/diesel/etc solvents. The jelly is a little too thin for some environments were it'll start to melt away in hot summer weather.

Get all the acid residue off with a baking soda solution first. Just don't use standard silicone caulking (type with the vinegar smell) as it is acid cure which will increase corrosion until it sets.

[QUOTE="koda2000,

IMO, The build up of green/blue corrosion is a result of the lead terminal of the battery not sealing properly to the top of the plastic battery case. This causes a small amount of acid to leak out, which then causes the sulfate corrosion. This is very common with lead acid batteries.[/QUOTE]

I agree..
I like to put some felt on the terminals,plus I have a plastic cover that goes over the battery... OP you can get the battery terminal covers at AAP or ebay...

5IsYo4k.jpg

Back