Lift Options and Bed Extender Clips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Options and Bed Extender Clips

DSteele41

Reaction score
City, State
OKC,OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
4x4
Hello Ford Community, I'm a "Newbie" Thanks in Advance for All the Helpful Information, Before Registering as a Member I have Read a Bunch of Good information thus far :)

I recently bought a 2003 Sport Trac 4x4 as a Fixer Upper so I have some questions

1.) I bought a Bed Extender at a Salvage Yard but its missing 1 Clip of the 2 ; Can You Order Replacement Clips preferably "Screw In" as Opposed to "Pop In" If those are legit options

2.) Also Looking to "Lift the Truck" been doing a lot of Research on Here and Youtube .... Doesnt Seem I can get a "Definitive" Answer on the best route to go.... I Really don't want to spend $2000.00 or more unless its absolutely necessary and is the Absolute Best Way to Go

a.) What is the Best "Lift" Kit Option ? This a Dumb Question but I dont know if I have Struts, Shocks, or Springs or a Combination of both (The Truck looks to be ALL Original OEM)

b.) Is a Torsion Twist Good or Bad ? for a Front Lift ? or is there more options ?

c.) for Rear I was looking a combo of 2" Shackle and addtional Leaf Spring
Can you do both toghether or is it recommended

d.) Wheel Options; Is it better to stay around the 16" Wheel Size or 17" or 18" ?

e.) Once Lifted ( With Best Option)
What is the Biggest Tire Size I can go with I'm looking at 32" from what I've Read
Any Suggestion on the Best Tire Options for this Size

Here are some Pics to get an Idea of what I'm looking to Accomplish

My Truck is Gold Like this and this is my First Option (Basically Not Way over the Top but a Noticable Difference Lift Wise

search

search

search

search

Thank You

Respectfully,

DSteele41

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumping back up to the top...

Thank You Rick

FYI there are a million threads for lifts. I have a 2" TT on the front and the shackles on the back. I am running ~31.5" tire on 17" 3rd gen explorer wheels with 2" spacers. It doesn't rub. The lift is the cheapest at $50 for the shackles plus cost of an alignment. Check out photos on my Flickr 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Next up is the TT plus a 3" body lift for s total of 5" of lift. Body lift is $350ish

Next up the price ladder, is the 4" lift kit, which is really a 3" lift plus 1" TT. Cost is ~$1,500

After that you can combine the 4" lift plus a 3" body lift for 7" of lift

After that it is custom.

I bought a Bed Extender at a Salvage Yard but its missing 1 Clip of the 2 ; Can You Order Replacement Clips preferably "Screw In" as Opposed to "Pop In" If those are legit options

I can sell you the entire vertical piece with the clips and pins. Swapping the entire piece would be easier, and in this case cheaper, than buying the clips - if you can find them. PM me.

FYI there are a million threads for lifts. I have a 2" TT on the front and the shackles on the back. I am running ~31.5" tire on 17" 3rd gen explorer wheels with 2" spacers. It doesn't rub. The lift is the cheapest at $50 for the shackles plus cost of an alignment. Check out photos on my Flickr 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Next up is the TT plus a 3" body lift for s total of 5" of lift. Body lift is $350ish

Next up the price ladder, is the 4" lift kit, which is really a 3" lift plus 1" TT. Cost is ~$1,500

After that it is custom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You @firefly1246
WheelTire1.png
WheelTire2.png
WheelTire1.png
WheelTire2.png
for the Reply

OK.... Just to Clarify and Elaborate a bit more.....

I did alot of research on this and if memory serves me Correctly ; Advice from others say not to go the Full 2" on the TT because my 2003 Sport Trac is 4x4

Is this Accurate ?

Also, Just Yesterday I caught a Good Deal on 265/75/16 Wheel and BIG Tires set; From Research I believe they are 32" - 32.5"
(See Pictures )
Set and was told they may Rub a bit
if I do the 2" Spacer..... Is there a 1" Spacer Option or Would you recommend 2" Spacer

Also 7" is more than I want to do at the moment.... So my though is to do a 1.5" TT (Again because its a 4x4) in Front

and 3" Body Kit ( Do You know How difficult a job that is on the 3" Body Kit ? )

This would be Approximatel 4.5" in Front , Also Does the 3" Body Lift have any Affect on the TT ? as far as putting more pressure on Axles etc...... ?

As far as Rear Can you do 2" Shackles AND add a Leaf or 1 Addtional Leaf Combined Together ?

Also is it Recommened to get new Shocks ( The Factory ones look to be OK ) ?

Thanks Again

DSteele41

A body lift is fairly difficult to do. If you aren’t fairly mechanical, or if the underneath is rusty, I wouldn’t try it.

Many with 4wds have done a full 2 inch TT. I went from 2 inches lower, to 2 inches higher with no failed CV axles all the way up until I parked it with 220k.

You can do shackles and an add a leaf. It’ll probably ride like a brick in the rear.

What is the Recommedation for Wheel Spacers I bought the Wheel and Tire Package Above (265/75/16)
I'm trying to determine if I should do a 1" , 1.5" or 2" Spacers around.... One guy I know said do not go beyond the fender because if the tire hits it it will damage it ....Thanks in Advance

I’m not a fan of spacers. I wouldn’t do them unless you need them.

I’m not a fan of spacers. I wouldn’t do them unless you need them.
May I respectfully ask Why?

2 reasons why Im considering
1.) Look of a wider tire ans since slightly lifted would be better for the base to be a bit wider

2.) The tires are rubbing whell well plastic guards

Thanks for reply

I don’t like the idea of 20 more lugs that can come loose and the extra force applied to the factory studs. Many run them without issue.

great deal on the wheels and tires ! i would and plan on doing a body lift to clear the same size tires ,

I don’t like the idea of 20 more lugs that can come loose and the extra force applied to the factory studs. Many run them without issue.

@Mbrooks420
I say this Very Respectfully First, as I'm a very Respectful Person,

I understand your points on 20 More Lugs but let me State as Well I will not be doing any Mudding or "4Wheeling" I bought the Truck strictly because I got a Good Deal on it 1850.00 and a Better Deal on the Wheels and Tires at 700.00 (the Guy I bought them from paid 1800.00 alone for them ; gave me the Receipts )

So with that Said .... I'd like a Your Second Opinion Or Others Second Opinion..... I'm Mostly Just wanting them to stick out a bit not alot and mostly for the "overall look of the Truck" ?? Also Should I go with 1" , 1.25", 1.5" or the full 2" Spacers ??

I was going to buy the 1" , 1.5" and 2" and see which one looked like I wanted and Return the other 2 ( I would clarify with Seller thats OK before I buy All 3)

Elaborate Answers Welcomed and Thanks to all who reply in advance

DSteele41

@delexploder ; Yes a GREAT DEAL at 700.00 they make the Truck Look Alot Better I'll post Pics[/QUOT
@Mbrooks420
I say this Very Respectfully First, as I'm a very Respectful Person,

I understand your points on 20 More Lugs but let me State as Well I will not be doing any Mudding or "4Wheeling" I bought the Truck strictly because I got a Good Deal on it 1850.00 and a Better Deal on the Wheels and Tires at 700.00 (the Guy I bought them from paid 1800.00 alone for them ; gave me the Receipts )

So with that Said .... I'd like a Your Second Opinion Or Others Second Opinion..... I'm Mostly Just wanting them to stick out a bit not alot and mostly for the "overall look of the Truck" ?? Also Should I go with 1" , 1.25", 1.5" or the full 2" Spacers ??

I was going to buy the 1" , 1.5" and 2" and see which one looked like I wanted and Return the other 2 ( I would clarify with Seller thats OK before I buy All 3)

Elaborate Answers Welcomed and Thanks to all who reply in advance

DSteele41

In Regards to "Spacers" the pics are where the Wheels sit WithOut Spacers

If I were doing them I’d probably do 1 1/2s.

Pics with wheels and where they sit Without Spacers

20180630_080006.jpg

20180701_064019.jpg

20180701_064029.jpg

20180701_064048.jpg

20180617_123259.jpg

After that it is custom.

Hey I happen to have a couple of question about lifts. So I’m running a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport (2door) that is 2wd. I’m dying to lift it! Maybe some lift off road trails and sorts for camping. I’m looking to get a 4-6 inch lift. In suspension for the rear I’m going to do a SOA and maybe shackles with of course the extended brake lines and new longer shocks. But I’m not sure what to do in the front. I know I can go with Fabtech spindles and those are a 3.5 inch lift but I need smaller brakes and then brake lines.. but how would I get up to 5inches in the front without doing a TT because it makes me have a stiff ride.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll need the TT for more lift. If you want it to ride well, don’t lift it and put big heavy tires on it. Smaller brakes and bigger tires doesn’t seem like a sound idea, either.

Back