Nail in 1 tire --> Told to replace all 4!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nail in 1 tire --> Told to replace all 4!?!?

Runamuk13

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
On my 2011 Limited, there is a small nail in the sidewall of 1 tire which is unfixable (I'm told).
The tire center at a local large warehouse store says I need to replace all 4 tires because:
1) it's an AWD vehicle
2) the tread depth on three other tires is about 8/32nds, the new tire will be about 12/32nds. The difference in tire diameter will raise havoc with the AWD.

Is this true?
Do I really need to replace all 4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tire diameter is critical for any real AWD transfer case. The AWD constantly fights to maintain identical speeds of the front and rear drive shafts.

There isn't much leeway accepted by the AWD, a little difference won't kill the AWD. But a 1/4" difference likely will be very bad.

Check the other three again, for depth, and where in the sidewall was the nail? I have seen a sidewall hole patched on a nearly new tire, it was a tiny hole and no plug was used, or a reaming tool.

If the used tires are all close to the 8/32nds size, a new tire is not the simple answer. I would hunt a rare place that can shave rubber from the tread, and bring the new tire down to the others. Or you could hunt a used tire that matches the diameter needed.

You need to make the tires virtually equal in diameter, in some way.

On my 2011 Limited, there is a small nail in the sidewall of 1 tire which is unfixable (I'm told).
The tire center at a local large warehouse store says I need to replace all 4 tires because:
1) it's an AWD vehicle
2) the tread depth on three other tires is about 8/32nds, the new tire will be about 12/32nds. The difference in tire diameter will raise havoc with the AWD.

Is this true?
The short answer is yes. Don’t mess with the AWD system or you will get to know the “penny wise, pound foolish” saying, next.

I would also be cautious about shaving a tire down. That’s an art and, if not done 100% correctly it will be slightly out of round and cause vibration issues.

Swallow hard and buy four tires and move on. :(

A nail? Unless it's some crazy big nail, it shou,d able to take a patch. Where in the sidewall? Pic?

No reputable shop will repair ANY puncture that is outside of the tread.

If it’s not a viscous coupling AWD (I don’t think it is?) I’d slap a new tire on it and not worry.

I ran MANY sets of tires without rotating them, and the AWD eats the front tires up. I’m sure there was many times the fronts and rears were considerably more than 1/8” difference in tread depth.

Technically that is true but if the other tires have low tread. If the other tires have like 8/32nd then you should be fine but if they are low you could damage the drive train. And no shop will repair if it's on the sidewall

1) it's an AWD vehicle

Is this true?
If your Explorer is AWD then you will have to replace all four tires or find a used tire shop and replace the damaged one with a used tire with similar tread depth. You could could also buy one new tire and have it shaved down to the same depth as the others.

I had something similar happen to me. Seeing the "4WD" system is not a true AWD but transfers power to the rear wheels via clutches in the rear differential, I decided on two new tires. Installed on same "axle" in front since the front tires wear quicker. Kept the good used tire as a spare.

I had something similar happen to me. Seeing the "4WD" system is not a true AWD but transfers power to the rear wheels via clutches in the rear differential, I decided on two new tires. Installed on same "axle" in front since the front tires wear quicker. Kept the good used tire as a spare.

The later Fords don't have AWD anymore, those called "AWD" are truly automatic 4WD. There is a magnetic clutch inside the transfer case, they do not have a viscous clutch like a real AWD TC.

Those A4WD Fords are a little more forgiving of mismatched tires, which is likely why Ford stopped making AWD's, and just abuse the name. I think the last AWD Ford used was the BW4410(pictured below), which began in the 3rd gen Explorer, so maybe 2002-2005 for those. The new A4WD began in those years too(new to fit the new different five speed transmissions).

In the A4WD, you can usually barely feel the transfer case engaging the normally undriven wheels. It's seamless unless there is a significant speed difference of front versus rear tires. In tight turns for example, it will feel like a short glitch or slight clunk etc, most people never notice it when it does happen.

Mismatched tires for the A4WD can affect the TC clutch also, but it should seem okay for a long time, until the clutch would wear enough that it doesn't hold the drive shaft well any longer. That would be a lesser symptom than when an actual AWD viscous clutch wears out. The AWD usually fails locked up, making the vehicle drive exactly like a 4WD locked in full time.

BW4410.JPG

The electromagnetic ball ramp clutch will slip and click when it’s worn out. It’ll still function.

You are unlikely to have any issues. Just buy a tire. Or get 4 good used ones. Or, buy 4 new ones if you’re worried about it.

I’d lose zero sleep over replacing a single tire.

1) it's an AWD vehicle

Is this true?
It's best practice to have all tires the same. on the other hand as long as you only do one I believe you are ok. the differential spider gears will behave like you are turning. if you had two of each size you would not want them on the same axle, for instance 8/32 and 12/32 on the front and 8/32 and 12/32 on the rear will work. if you were to put the same size on the front then the same but different size on the rear you would have torque binding... front and rear axles trying to spin at different speeds...I think!

Thanks for all your responses and explanations. Sounds like I better start saving my lunch money for 4 new tires.

For those of you asking for a picture ....
20210409_115550.jpg

I have a tire plugging kit for my motorcycle. Should I try it on this tire?

Plug that #####, I've plugged dozens like that, and only one has ever leaked from the plug. Do not buy any tire to replace that, find some decent shop if you feel the need, who will patch it from the inside with the nice plug/patch new type of repair.

Note the plugs types, there is only one plug which is self vulcanizing, it seals itself with no glue added. I use that one brand, I've plugged easily 50-75 holes over 29 years. It's on eBay and by Safety Seal, here's a link, for a 60 plug kit, $50;

Thanks for all your responses and explanations. Sounds like I better start saving my lunch money for 4 new tires.

For those of you asking for a picture ....
View attachment 329318

I have a tire plugging kit for my motorcycle. Should I try it on this tire?
Yea definitely not repaiable

Plug that #####, I've plugged dozens like that, and only one has ever leaked from the plug. Do not buy any tire to replace that, find some decent shop if you feel the need, who will patch it from the inside with the nice plug/patch new type of repair.

Note the plugs types, there is only one plug which is self vulcanizing, it seals itself with no glue added. I use that one brand, I've plugged easily 50-75 holes over 29 years. It's on eBay and called Safety something, just look up "plug kit Safety", that should find it.
You cant repair from the inside cause the patch will be on sidewall and will not hold air

Hmmm... that does appear to be too close to the sidewall for any responsible shop to fix.

Yes, you yourself could repair it, but... IMO, I would not trust it. Could it be a fine repair, possibly.

As I see it... do you trust your life on the repair?

I too have plugged a few punctures in this approximate location in my past with no issues. One was on my '89 Mustang 5.0L that I drove like I stole it. Would I do this today? It would depend on how much life was left in the tire. If the tire was going to be replaced soon I would patch it and replace it in a few months. If I was short on cash and/or the tire had a lot of life left in them I would definitely patch it instead of replacing all four tires.

No reputable shop will repair ANY puncture that is outside of the tread.

If it’s not a viscous coupling AWD (I don’t think it is?) I’d slap a new tire on it and not worry.

I ran MANY sets of tires without rotating them, and the AWD eats the front tires up. I’m sure there was many times the fronts and rears were considerably more than 1/8” difference in tread depth.
8/32 on rest of tires isn't a new tire. Happened to me and I bought 4 new tires. Not worth the gamble and I got a killer deal back in late 2019. Tires aren't something I'd gamble my families safety on.

Or an excuse to trade it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An update - - -
While talking with the tire service center, they mentioned "AWD". Upon further inspection, my Explorer is "4WD" according to the emblem on the liftgate. Reading through these posts, it sounds like 4WD is a bit more forgiving on all the tires having similar diameter/circumference.

I'm going try to plug it. I have the Stop & Go plug kit for my motorcycle. It has the plugs that are self-vulcanizing.
I figure I don't have much to lose. I have faith that the plug will not fail suddenly, nor catastrophically. If it fails, it will simply start leaking. The current tire has a slow air leak that will get worse the more I drive it. If the plug leaks, then I'll look at replacing.

I promise to keep a close eye on the tire pressure.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Back