2017 2.3 Ecoboost engine oil dipstick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 2.3 Ecoboost engine oil dipstick

FExEB

Reaction score
City, State
European Union
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer, 2.3, XLT
Hey guys, new to the forum. I need your help, please. I am a little bit confused about the engine oil dipstick so I need to ask: which one is the correct maximum oil level on the dipstick, the end line of the hatch OR the upper hole?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Without seeing the actual item, I'm guessing perhaps the upper hole. Where is the current level showing?
I just looked at the Owner's Manual and it shows you how to read the dipstick. The 3rd printing shows it on page 279.

Peter

Hi Peter and thank you for the welcome wish.
The manual shows the upper hole. But, please have a look at the attached links. Each one of them indicates the opposite.

Check Oil Level 2011-2019 Ford Explorer 2016 Ford Explorer Limited 2.3L 4 Cyl. Turbo

So...?!?

Engine oil dipstick from manual.JPG

As far as I can see both the Manual and the link for the 2016 Ford Explorer Limited show the top hole as the 'Full' mark. The other video is for the 2006-2010 Explorer and doesn't apply in this case.

Peter

As long as it reads in the middle or at point B your good!

Hi guys, I have fresh news, which I hope will be helpful for the others owners of 2.3 ecoboost engine.
After a long research, I came to find out about this forum discussion between focus owners and read it entirely:
Oil dipstick confusion

After this, I performed an oil change, drain the used oil completely (long time drain) and filled in the correct amount of oil stated by the manufacturer in the OM (5.7 qt / 5.4 l). Guess what? The ford focus owners are right: the maximum oil level on the dipstick is the end line of the hatch and NOT the upper hole. The OM is wrong. And when I am thinking that I had before a little bit more than the top hole...:oops: (as I told myself that it is not big deal if I have a "little" bit more than maximum)
I am attaching here an edited picture (by me) which I hope it will be suggestive for others too:
Correct max level.jpg

And offtopic... I have tested two oils, Amsoil 5w30 SS and Redline 5w30 (ester based and with extra anti-wear additives) and by far, I mean with so clear evidence the engine runs smoother, quieter and revs much much easier with Amsoil. Redline may be a very good oil, but not for this engine (it is more viscous and this engine doesn't like it very much).
I apologize for the offtopic, but I hope this info will help.

In the diagram you provided, B would be the upper or top hole and that is the one I was referring to in my posts. Of course, if you hold the dipstick upside down, then it wouldn't apply. :)

Peter

Back