1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Looks great good progress

Does it still stall out on cold starts?

Toyo tires are awesome if you get a set built in USA or Japan, the others not so great

Tires are very interesting many times we pay a bunch of extra $$$$ just for a fancy name
Many off brand tires are built right alongside the name brands but are far cheaper
Getting tires off eBay is a good way to go if you can find a shop that won’t charge you $200 to mount and balance them, many shops charge extra now if you don’t buy the tires from them which adds fuel to the fire!
Yes, pn cold starts it takes two starts and two stalls for it to keep it going. After that its fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday was the first time i turned on the lights. I realized that i need to replace the bulbs in the cluster. There are a couple burned out. Just going to replace them all.

/\ You might want to pause on that and do odometer gear at the same time while having cluster out...the teeth are known to go out and or gum up... SEE LINKS

**Pointers.... drop gear level down to 1st and when putting cluster back in you need to tilt top back in first then feed rest in...(it doesn't look obvious that it needs it but it does)
The worm gear just presses on by hand.... push it down until there's a pen tip gap left visible on shaft:
MOTOR W NEW WORM GEAR.jpg

This way you'll have proof to the nay-sayers that the 5.0 is still running at 350K.

/\ You might want to pause on that and do odometer gear at the same time while having cluster out...the teeth are known to go out and or gum up... SEE LINKS

**Pointers.... drop gear level down to 1st and when putting cluster back in you need to tilt top back in first then feed rest in...(it doesn't look obvious that it needs it but it does)
The worm gear just presses on by hand.... push it down until there's a pen tip gap left visible on shaft:
View attachment 425269
This way you'll have proof to the nay-sayers that the 5.0 is still running at 350K.
Is that one gear all that is usually needed?

View attachment 425269
The gear is ordered. Be here in a couple days. $8 can't go wrong. Considering I've not actually driven this Explorer, I don't even know if the speedo works. So this makes good sense. Thanks for the tip!

Today I did a little bit of work. I got most of the bolts into the center console. Currently I'm trying to reduce the stock pile of parts. The more I install, the less there is to work with. Getting closer.

Speedo gear arrived. Need to get that cluster out.

Speedo gear and new bulbs going in.
D667C6DB-8C76-4932-9594-62BB9FCEA93E.jpeg
9F3691A5-08DD-4D99-BF5B-292F7E1E3816.jpeg

I’m still on the warpath. Today i fitted and installed the new grill. It looks nice, the Taiwanese parts leave a bit to be desired. Had to do a fair amount of filing to get them to fit right. Yeaterday I wet sanded the headlights and clear coated them. They turned out pretty nice. Im going to install new bulbs before i put the turn signal housings back in. The day before in replaced the grey plastics on the bumper with better used pieces. Brand new fog light assemblies with new bulbs. Getting closer to the end.View attachment 425224 View attachment 425225 View attachment 425226 View attachment 425227 View attachment 425228 View attachment 425229 View attachment 425230 View attachment 425231 View attachment 425232 View attachment 425233 View attachment 425234 View attachment 425235 View attachment 425236 View attachment 425237 View attachment 425238 View attachment 425239 View attachment 425240 View attachment 425241
Love that chrome grill surround!

Where did you get it?
A seller on ebay. The quality of the part was decent, but not factory quality. Note that it doesn't come with the Ford emblem. I bought that separately.

817DE417-FE71-467E-8339-9FCCF205F87B.png

Just standard 194s. Could be my phones camera, they look pretty normal to me in person.
Oh ok also battery voltage seems low on the gauge

/\ Good eye...oh no...alternator time! :)
Yep my 99 4.0 sohc does the same thing and sometimes it hits L until I hit the throttle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back