Not a glowing report on the 2022 Ex. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not a glowing report on the 2022 Ex.

We have had 4 brand new vehicles from CAP. 2013 Explorer Sport, 2016 Explorer Platinum, 2020 Lincoln Aviator, 2022 Lincoln Aviator. All 4 of them had issues that should have prevented them from leaving the factory yet they all did.

2013-torn headrest and several paint defects.
2016 Half of the rear gate was un painted.
2020 litterly pieces taped into place with masking tape over all the missing fasteners.
2022 front body panels put together so poorly 1 week in the body shop still couldn't fix it and now it has to go back for Lincoln to send a Field Engineer out to try and fix it.

CAP has always had quality control issues. I have expressed this to Ford/Lincoln along with this is the last vehicle we buy that comes from that plant. And for reference my latest body panels issue is not the only Aviator this body shop has had to fix. Mine just happened to be the worse.

So I do not buy the whole COVID/Pandemic excuse. That plant has put out sub par work for years.

Your right there is no excuse for any of those issues, that's just extremely poor QC.

I had a 2011 Explorer that Ford actually bought back it was so fraught with issues.

What's interesting is they know when vehicles are built, which worker put on what part at what time and still they have issues, there isn't really much anonymity on the production line anymore.

When the George Floyd debacle happened the negative QC reports from big fleets receiving PIU's was disturbing, it was like the PIU's were being sabotaged

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your right there is no excuse for any of those issues, that's just extremely poor QC.

I had a 2011 Explorer that Ford actually bought back it was so fraught with issues.

What's interesting is they know when vehicles are built, which worker put on what part at what time and still they have issues, there isn't really much anonymity on the production line anymore.

When the George Floyd debacle happened the negative QC reports from big fleets receiving PIU's was disturbing, it was like the PIU's were being sabotaged
Can you really trust anything out of Chicago?

We really like out Aviator but are just tired of all the dumb issues that really do come from it being put together crappy.

This last time when on the phone with Lincoln about the fact I could still fit my hand between the headlight and hood because the alignment of body panels was still so bad after a week in the body shop, they actually asked "well what is it you are wanting?" Response "I want a vehicle that has ****ing been built correctly!" Lincoln "oh.. okay". 🤯

Bought a '21 in May of 21. Literally the only thing I've done is tightened one nut holding a panel on under the vehicle that was rattling. Zero other issues to report.

Per the frequent posters I guess I got a unicorn...

Your mileage may vary...

Interesting that both transmission major and transmission minor are above average reliability per CR....

Capture.PNG

That is for the 2021 although I believe it is the same one in the 2022.

Peter

There is no information on the 22. That was a screenshot from CR from this AM.

Interestingly, the "road test" for the 20, 21 and 22 are all identical - word for work. In other words, CR has mailed it in for the last 2 years, ever since the re-design.

Quite frankly, I don't find that even a bit surprising.

I also find it incredible that they have a double red down arrow for reliability, when not even one sub category shows a double red arrow down. Body Integrity and Power Equipment both show a single orange arrow down. There are 7 double green up arrows and 8 single green up arrows and somehow these buffoons average all that into a double red down. Perhaps they don't even read their own propaganda.

It's funny that while CR rates the Ex poorly, JD Power ranks the 2021 MY 4th out of 13 on "Quality & Reliability". Above the Hyundai Palisade and Honda Pilot. For 2020 MY it was 12th out of 13, so it made a huge improvement for 2021. Eager to see what the 2022 MY rating is.

So while JD Power showed a huge improvement for 2021 over 2020, CR did not. Makes me think CR is basing almost their entire review and ratings for the 2022 MY on 2020 MY data. Clearly the Ex's launch in 2020 was poor, and there should definitely be some improvement for subsequent model years.

Regarding fuel economy, I drove 3 hours to trade in my 2017 for the 2022. On the way over I got about 23.5 mpg in the 2017, and over 27 mpg in the 2022 on the way back. And that was with only 300 miles, not even broken in yet.

Regarding fuel economy, I drove 3 hours to trade in my 2017 for the 2022. On the way over I got about 23.5 mpg in the 2017, and over 27 mpg in the 2022 on the way back. And that was with only 300 miles, not even broken in yet.
Was that uphill or downhill? Funny perhaps, but when I drove into the city and back one day (50 miles) my fuel mileage was better going in than coming back due to the elevation changes.
Curious about the difference in the reports. I've read several times where the two outfits are quite close in their findings.

Peter

I had a 2.3L 2020 and now I have a 3.5L 2017. I maybe got 1 mpg more with the 2.5L probably just a fraction of that. I like the torquey v6 a little better than the buzzy 2.5L, but I'm considering trading the 17 for a 22, due to the stupid used car prices.

Was that uphill or downhill? Funny perhaps, but when I drove into the city and back one day (50 miles) my fuel mileage was better going in than coming back due to the elevation changes.
Curious about the difference in the reports. I've read several times where the two outfits are quite close in their findings.

Peter
Florida is flat.

I had a 2.3L 2020 and now I have a 3.5L 2017. I maybe got 1 mpg more with the 2.5L probably just a fraction of that. I like the torquey v6 a little better than the buzzy 2.5L, but I'm considering trading the 17 for a 22, due to the stupid used car prices.
I'm confused, you went from a 2020 to a 2017? And you state both 2.3L and 2.5L.

The EPA rating was 20 on the '17 and 23 on the '22. So a 3mpg improvement makes sense. Seems I got 4mpg difference on this trip but maybe it was a fluke.

I also traded in my '17 for a '22. My trade in value was at a record high and I got D Plan pricing on the 22 from the only dealer I found in the state that would accept the D Plan on a stock unit.

The key is to search out a decent deal on the new one. If you're going to pay sticker or above then even with high trade in value it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I can't believe the world of difference in ride and handling. I mean I know the 17 was a very old design but the 22 feels like 2 or 3 generations newer than the 17.

I'm confused, you went from a 2020 to a 2017? And you state both 2.3L and 2.5L.

The EPA rating was 20 on the '17 and 23 on the '22. So a 3mpg improvement makes sense. Seems I got 4mpg difference on this trip but maybe it was a fluke.

I also traded in my '17 for a '22. My trade in value was at a record high and I got D Plan pricing on the 22 from the only dealer I found in the state that would accept the D Plan on a stock unit.

The key is to search out a decent deal on the new one. If you're going to pay sticker or above then even with high trade in value it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I can't believe the world of difference in ride and handling. I mean I know the 17 was a very old design but the 22 feels like 2 or 3 generations newer than the 17.
I worked for Ford until 12/2020. When I retired I had to turn all my company cars in, plus buy one for my daughter, so I wasn't real interested in dropping 100k on new cars. I bought my wife a 2018 MKZ with under 20k mile for something like 28k and I got myself the 2017 with under 20k mile for like 30k IIRC. We took the Explorer to Seattle and back, plus numerous other trips and now I have over 50k on the clock. I got my daughter a 2009 Focus (with the good transmission) for like 6k. It had around 50k miles. So, I turned the whole fleet over for under 70k. Try that now...

The 2.5L was a fat finger. 20s came in 2.3L, 3.0L (both turbo) and 3.3L NA cop and fleet.

I worked for Ford until 12/2020. When I retired I had to turn all my company cars in, plus buy one for my daughter, so I wasn't real interested in dropping 100k on new cars. I bought my wife a 2018 MKZ with under 20k mile for something like 28k and I got myself the 2017 with under 20k mile for like 30k IIRC. We took the Explorer to Seattle and back, plus numerous other trips and now I have over 50k on the clock. I got my daughter a 2009 Focus (with the good transmission) for like 6k. It had around 50k miles. So, I turned the whole fleet over for under 70k. Try that now...

The 2.5L was a fat finger. 20s came in 2.3L, 3.0L (both turbo) and 3.3L NA cop and fleet.
Fat finger? Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

I'm just a bit confused as to where the 2.5L came into this? I'm guessing that the 2020 XLT that shows in your profile is the one that you no longer have.

Peter

I'm just a bit confused as to where the 2.5L came into this? I'm guessing that the 2020 XLT that shows in your profile is the one that you no longer have.

Peter
As I mentioned in my post above, the 5 was a typo. The 2.3L turbo was the powertrain I had.

As I mentioned in my post above, the 5 was a typo. The 2.3L turbo was the powertrain I had.
Okay, now the "fat finger" remark makes sense. :)

Peter

OK but now I don't get another statement: "I like the torquey v6 a little better than the buzzy 2.5L <actually 2.3L>"

No way the old 3.5 V6 can be considered more "torquey" than the new 2.3 Ecoboost. Torque is 310 ft-lb @ 3,000 rpm compared to the V6's 255 ft-lb @4000 rpm. And it has 10 more hp @ 1,000 fewer rpms. Based on my immediate before and after drives acceleration is definitely more effortless around town with the 2.3 Ecoboost. I will agree it's a bit "buzzy".

On fuelly.com the average reported mpg of 2016-2019 owners with the base 3.5 V6 is around 18 mpg. For 2020-2021 owners it's 21.5 mpg. Can't argue with all that data. Some of that improvement is surely due to the 10-speed over the 6-speed. But it's gotta mostly be due to the engine.

About 3mpg better economy yet >1 sec faster. Gotta love powertrain tech progress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A V6 will always “feel” more torquey than a 4-cylinder.
And less gears let you “feel” the torque developing over a broader rpm range. Even if it’s less and more inefficient.
And that’s quite likable imo.

Back