• Register Today It's free!

Helping people out of snow?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Just curious if anyone has tried pulling other cars out of a snow bank on the side of the road with their Explorers. Is it even worth attempting or is that best left for the 4x4s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use a good tow strap and proper adapter for your tow hitch it shouldn't be a problem pulling out lightly stuck vehicles.

Having winter tires would also be a plus. ;)

Peter

Just curious if anyone has tried pulling other cars out of a snow bank on the side of the road with their Explorers. Is it even worth attempting or is that best left for the 4x4s?

If you use a good tow strap and proper adapter for your tow hitch it shouldn't be a problem pulling out lightly stuck vehicles.

Having winter tires would also be a plus. ;)

Peter

Yes [pulled out] and no [not to help in an emergency]...

Our plow guy had no choice one day a few weeks ago and had to pile the snow in front of my MIL's car [this car was not being used so had been sitting around with a dead battery].

So, like Rick said, good stuff:

1645629672101.png

Like Peter said, tires:

1645629738358.png

Didn't put the Ex in any special mode, had very minimal tire spin and within 30 seconds it was out. Took me longer to prep and break down the towing gear...

Jay

Hi Jay. Those Blizzaks are what I am using but in the 255/55R20 size. Had the DM-V1 tires on a previous Explorer.

Peter

Hi Jay. Those Blizzaks are what I am using but in the 255/55R20 size. Had the DM-V1 tires on a previous Explorer.

Peter
Peter:

I wanted to go as small as I could and as the consensus has said, the 19s was the way to go.

Have been using Blizzaks for several years over several cars - even the wifey never has to think twice about going out in the snow if she has to... Great tires IMHO...

Jay

Peter:

I wanted to go as small as I could and as the consensus has said, the 19s was the way to go.

Have been using Blizzaks for several years over several cars - even the wifey never has to think twice about going out in the snow if she has to... Great tires IMHO...

Jay
I went 18" on my 2011 and 2017 but that was on the steel Interceptor rims. I lease my vehicles so I decide to go with the OEM size on the OEM rims this time since Ford has a habit of changing wheel sizes so often. :)

Peter

Back