• Register Today It's free!

Sliding in snow in reverse

Kcrabtree

Reaction score
City, State
PLAIN CITY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hi! I have a 2020 Explorer ST and last year was the first year having it in the snow. My driveway has about a 25-30% incline. I noticed that when there was minimal snow I would slide down my driveway when backing out. NO CONTROL...I had to make sure no traffic. I reached out to the dealership and they suggested snow only tires. However, I had no issues at all driving it in the snow...its only when backing down my driveway. Even when backing out extremely slow..once I had all 4 tires in the snow...I would just slide down the drive. I have no issues going up the driveway in most instances...its always backing down. SUGGESTIONS??? Am I missing a button or something helping with traction control? Appreciate any feedback!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't mention putting it in Snow mode prior to backing out. That would be my first thought. Traction control is on every time you start the car. You can turn it off manually. It's obviously not working well in reverse with it on, so maybe try switching it off and modulate the brakes without computer assistance. I would definitely make sure you are all clear before any experimenting though.

You didn't mention putting it in Snow mode prior to backing out. That would be my first thought. Traction control is on every time you start the car. You can turn it off manually. It's obviously not working well in reverse with it on, so maybe try switching it off and modulate the brakes without computer assistance. I would definitely make sure you are all clear before any experimenting though.
Thanks! I cant recall if trying snow mode worked or not. Will definitely try both suggestions!

Honestly it sounds like a tire issue to me if you are sliding when the wheels are not turning. You should look into a different set of all-seasons or get a set of dedicated snow tires. Just a thought!

I used to be an avid off roader and winter snow driving was what I enjoyed most. When driving in reverse, there is essentially no techology that is going to keep you from sliding. The only thing that could help would be a very low gear, but you won't have that option in reverse,

I would recommend backing your vehicle into the garage if you knew snow was coming. Then use the hill descent control option, which I beleive the ST's have, and then your lowest gear, to slowly "walk" your explorer down the driveway.

You will have more control and coordination in operating the vehicle by driving forward instead of reverse, especially in the above settings.

Also light snow will often casue more problems backing down than heavy snow. Heavy, deep snow, will provide a some resistance and as you slide it will build up as you slide adding a little more resistance and that helps. So I would expect you to slide more on thinner layer so snow in contrast to very heavy snow. And depending on wet vs dry snow and whether some of the precipitation has a frozen layer under the snow will change how your explorer traverses your incline.

One snow storm you may have some control and another you may slide much more. All depends on the type and depth of snow.

Snow tires are not going to mitigate much, if any at all, of you sliding in reverse. They will provide much benefit on forward motion and some stability from sliding laterally, but not much of anything in reverse unless you were trying to accelerate, which you won't be doing on an incline.

I use to have a jeep wrangler with a highly modified suspension and very deep treaded mud tires. And I could power through very diffcult sections of snow. But on a hill in reverse, I would often slide significantly.

I always thought of 4 wheel drive to get home and up the drive into the garage. I would expect nothing good to happen on a untreated driveway with a slope as described in this post.

Thanks! I cant recall if trying snow mode worked or not. Will definitely try both suggestions!
Winter tires have a tread and rubber compound made for colder temperatures to help provide better grip. Not to say it would help in your situation but definitely better than 3 season tires.

Peter

I used to be an avid off roader and winter snow driving was what I enjoyed most. When driving in reverse, there is essentially no techology that is going to keep you from sliding. The only thing that could help would be a very low gear, but you won't have that option in reverse,

I would recommend backing your vehicle into the garage if you knew snow was coming. Then use the hill descent control option, which I beleive the ST's have, and then your lowest gear, to slowly "walk" your explorer down the driveway.

You will have more control and coordination in operating the vehicle by driving forward instead of reverse, especially in the above settings.

Also light snow will often casue more problems backing down than heavy snow. Heavy, deep snow, will provide a some resistance and as you slide it will build up as you slide adding a little more resistance and that helps. So I would expect you to slide more on thinner layer so snow in contrast to very heavy snow. And depending on wet vs dry snow and whether some of the precipitation has a frozen layer under the snow will change how your explorer traverses your incline.

One snow storm you may have some control and another you may slide much more. All depends on the type and depth of snow.

Snow tires are not going to mitigate much, if any at all, of you sliding in reverse. They will provide much benefit on forward motion and some stability from sliding laterally, but not much of anything in reverse unless you were trying to accelerate, which you won't be doing on an incline.

I use to have a jeep wrangler with a highly modified suspension and very deep treaded mud tires. And I could power through very diffcult sections of snow. But on a hill in reverse, I would often slide significantly.
Thanks. I do think we tried backing in last year, but with a few other suggestions I may try this again. Its crazy...Ive had cars and other SUVs going up and down this same drive with no issues..but none have been as 'heavy' as this explorer. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Hi! I have a 2020 Explorer ST and last year was the first year having it in the snow. My driveway has about a 25-30% incline. I noticed that when there was minimal snow I would slide down my driveway when backing out. NO CONTROL...I had to make sure no traffic. I reached out to the dealership and they suggested snow only tires. However, I had no issues at all driving it in the snow...its only when backing down my driveway. Even when backing out extremely slow..once I had all 4 tires in the snow...I would just slide down the drive. I have no issues going up the driveway in most instances...its always backing down. SUGGESTIONS??? Am I missing a button or something helping with traction control? Appreciate any feedback!
Try putting it in neutral once u start to slide. I have the same issue with my explorer. Not sure why but this helps. Also to stop the sliding immediately when u reach the bottom switch to drive mode. I don’t have a street to avoid but a bunch of trees. Stops me every time before I hit one.

Try putting it in neutral once u start to slide. I have the same issue with my explorer. Not sure why but this helps. Also to stop the sliding immediately when u reach the bottom switch to drive mode. I don’t have a street to avoid but a bunch of trees. Stops me every time before I hit one.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you responded to was last seen here on November 11, 2021, so likely isn't around any longer. To me, it sounds like the member may not have been using winter tires which would have provided better grip.

Peter

Back