-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Well, should have the tires and such ordered in the next week or so. Still deciding on a hitch tire carrier or just throwing the spare in the back or on the roof once I get a basket. Since I can't afford an rlc swingout bumper or anything for a bit. But another old project idea came across my mind last week when my horn button stopped working, the horn works when I lock the truck like normal, just the steering wheel side with issues. But I wanted to add a train horn (more preferable, but the police don't exactly approve of that) or a dixie horn (thank you dukes of hazzard for that) for a while, but never got around to really getting into the details. Anyone know anybody that found good placement for some air horns? Haven't found much on here other than people saying the same thing, they want to do it, never any build updates or setups shown. I'll keep my standard horn for the sake of when I lock her up and legality just in case, but I'd like to do this for some kick when I need it, also just for fun, because why not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install an air horn that you like if it fits easily, and wire it to a switch that changes which horn blows. That will let you keep the original horn for public use, and switch it for when you want something else. That would take just one switch and one extra relay I believe.

Install an air horn that you like if it fits easily, and wire it to a switch that changes which horn blows. That will let you keep the original horn for public use, and switch it for when you want something else. That would take just one switch and one extra relay I believe.
Yeah, that would work great, problem is finding a place for it, especially under the hood. Not a crazy amount of space in there. That's why I was curious about knowing if anyone else had done the same thing

I know, I have looked for some extra space for external oil filters. You can find small spaces around the front frame mounts and just underneath the inner fenders. The stock vacuum ball and the horns are kind of hidden, there's plenty of space for those, but I'm not sure what else could be placed with them. Some small trumpet horn may fit in there with the stock horn. I've only had one of those that I bought, it was cheap and had two small plastic horns.

I know, I have looked for some extra space for external oil filters. You can find small spaces around the front frame mounts and just underneath the inner fenders. The stock vacuum ball and the horns are kind of hidden, there's plenty of space for those, but I'm not sure what else could be placed with them. Some small trumpet horn may fit in there with the stock horn. I've only had one of those that I bought, it was cheap and had two small plastic horns.
I've thought about there, but usually at least for the train one, they take a bunch of space. Like a foot long with a few horns, plus a compressor and such for them. I'll make it work, somehow, eventually when I get to it, maybe this summer. I'll figure out a way to wedge it by the stock horn, especially if I can find a smaller air horn setup. I'll be back there in the next couple weeks anyway to finally get to installing some grille lights, so I can take measurements and such to see what I can do.

I hope you find the space and it works great. I used to drive in an area where you would hear a train horn on rare days, someone in that area had a train horn which was heard for a mile away at least. There are no trains around Sevierville TN, it was cool to hear that sometimes.

I hope you find the space and it works great. I used to drive in an area where you would hear a train horn on rare days, someone in that area had a train horn which was heard for a mile away at least. There are no trains around Sevierville TN, it was cool to hear that sometimes.
Thanks, it'd be fun for things like truck meets when I finally go and monster jam, go there every year and there's always someone else there with one installed. I do agree sometimes they're fun to hear, but I live by some train tracks so I hear the real thing all the time anyway! Could even honk back at the trains, have some fun with it

Two and a half years...to fix the clunking when I brake hard or turn left...TWO...wasn't the differential, wasn't the cv axles; it was a free 1 minute fix. Literally this stupid piece of plastic around the fuel tank was just hanging off to the side as I drove so the force of a stop or left turn would pull it towards the rear driveshaft. Even left some wear on the pads on the shaft and the plastic, literally so annoyed that it was so simple but glad it wasn't worse. I'll work on a more permanent fix later, for now, everybody keep an eye on your tanks. I just love the fact that I tell the shop, I have been working on it for so long, tell them what I think, and they aren't even sure what it is, let alone how to fix it; especially since they couldn't simulate it on the lifter, got a nice laugh out of that

20220221_164921.jpg 20220221_165024.jpg 20220221_165044.jpg

Anybody ever tried these out? Warrior SOA Kit 4610, just found it after trying to find an old one from superlift that ain't produced anymore. It comes with everything that should be needed I believe. Besides, its from warrior so I'm already thinking its at least decent quality after running the 153 shackles for a while.

Not the greatest pictures, from a couple hours ago when I got home. But tires weren't supposed to be in until Tuesday, the wheels literally just shipped. Yet heres all 5 of the wheels and 3/5 tires. Even the driver said: I guess whichever of you got these won't be doing anything yet. Funkiest order I've had yet, still waiting on two tires, roof basket, center caps and some heavy duty cv axles to better handle the tt. Once all that is in, shes being started, well, I'll start on the leaf swap tuesday while I'm off and go from there. Tires are 265/75R16 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the wheels are 16x8" Pro Comp Series 252. I'm not going to lie, comparing the size between these an my stock ones, a little scared to throw them on, probably won't until I get my cv axles, torsion keys, and leafs done, that way I should certainly have the height to support it fully, probably going to have to trim the bumper still though, which I dont so much mind doing

20220224_220057.jpg 20220224_220103.jpg 20220224_220109.jpg

I am on 285/75r16's. They are almost 33" tires. I also have Add a leaf, Shackles and 3" TT. I am going to safe my pennys and get these for my CV axles. Can get them from Rock Auto. I have been watching the web site for when they are available for Explorers. It is from TracMotive.

I am on 285/75r16's. They are almost 33" tires. I also have Add a leaf, Shackles and 3" TT. I am going to safe my pennys and get these for my CV axles. Can get them from Rock Auto. I have been watching the web site for when they are available for Explorers. It is from TracMotive.

I'm going pretty much the same setup, just with the f150 leafs instead. I actually ordered those exact CVs so I could play it safe with the TT, were supposed to be in yesterday, but now I guess its anytime today or tomorrow. So yeah, I'll get those and the keys thrown in, if you don't have yours yet, I can let you know how mine are working out, cause you can bet as soon as it's all on together, I'm breaking in those tires!

Got the roof basket finally. 84" Arksen Roof Basket, definitely would be nice to get it welded together and possibly recoated in bedliner. But it works and looks nice

20220301_132820.jpg 20220301_132856(0).jpg

I'm going pretty much the same setup, just with the f150 leafs instead. I actually ordered those exact CVs so I could play it safe with the TT, were supposed to be in yesterday, but now I guess its anytime today or tomorrow. So yeah, I'll get those and the keys thrown in, if you don't have yours yet, I can let you know how mine are working out, cause you can bet as soon as it's all out together, I'm breaking in those tires!
NICE!! I cannot wait to see them installed. I am planning to do those axles then torque the heck out of my Keys and see if a SOA (Spring over axle) Will still look good that way. I had the rear spring over axle and it looked great. but front was a little low. So I am hoping with new CV's I will be able to get the height I want with SOA and run that way.

NICE!! I cannot wait to see them installed. I am planning to do those axles then torque the heck out of my Keys and see if a SOA (Spring over axle) Will still look good that way. I had the rear spring over axle and it looked great. but front was a little low. So I am hoping with new CV's I will be able to get the height I want with SOA and run that way.
Yeah I was curious, what all did you do for your SOA? Would like to crank the keys for as much lift as I safely can, which means the f150 leafs even under the axle may not cut it, to match I may have to do the SOA swap as well

All I did was ordered a set of leaf string axle perches and welded them on. I took the leaf springs completely out though so I would not have to disconnect the e-brake. welded them on and put the Stock springs back on. I used 2 sets of jack stands and had the axle almost on the floor to get the springs back on. I will have to look thru my phone to see if I have a picture of them up close.

All I did was ordered a set of leaf string axle perches and welded them on. I took the leaf springs completely out though so I would not have to disconnect the e-brake. welded them on and put the Stock springs back on. I used 2 sets of jack stands and had the axle almost on the floor to get the springs back on. I will have to look thru my phone to see if I have a picture of them up close.
That would be great if you do. Did you use the same mounts as before, just new perches?

That would be great if you do. Did you use the same mounts as before, just new perches?
Sorry for the delay I was finally able to find the Pictures. One is how I have my Shocks mounted and the other is how I have my SOA done.
New 97 65.jpeg

Yes there is another Bolt in the Bottom hole. The one that was there got lost when I was out on the trails.
New 97 66.jpeg

Right now I have my Springs Under my Axle. Soon after I get motor running again I will have the Springs over the top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the delay I was finally able to find the Pictures. One is how I have my Shocks mounted and the other is how I have my SOA done. View attachment 426907
Yes there is another Bolt in the Bottom hole. The one that was there got lost when I was out on the trails.
View attachment 426908

Right now I have my Springs Under my Axle. Soon after I get motor running again I will have the Springs over the top.
Ahhh, so you did use the same leaf mounts just flipped? Where did you get the shock mounts? Found a kit from warrior that is supposed to be a full soa kit, with new mounts for the leafs and shocks, can't find anyone else using it though

Back