Wanted - Noise sounds like turn signal on 99 Ex. It just started so I disconnect battery so not to kill it. Anyone have this prob? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Noise sounds like turn signal on 99 Ex. It just started so I disconnect battery so not to kill it. Anyone have this prob?

Parts or services wanted

CJYoung

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ijamsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOH
Callsign
Gunsmokes Band
Anyone have problem with a ticking turn signal sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you elaborate?

When does it happen, all the time (including engine off but key in accessory position, or engine off but key in run position), or only intermittently?

Where is the sound coming from?

Can you record this and post a link to it? If not can you better describe it? Does it sound like a relay going on/off or could it be a motor?

Any chance it is the HVAC, vac or motor actuator fault? If you turn HVAC completely off does it still happen?

If none of the above gives any clues as to what is going on, I'd check the current consumption by measuring fuse voltage drops, and see if the noise might be coming from the under dash relay box.

I'd also wonder if your multi-function switch is broken (or wires pulled out the rear of its harness connector and are shorting together) and it is causing the turn signal relay to activate, though I'd think you'd notice the dash indicator or the turn signal itself coming on if that's what is happening.

Can you elaborate?

When does it happen, all the time (including engine off but key in accessory position, or engine off but key in run position), or only intermittently?

Where is the sound coming from?

Can you record this and post a link to it? If not can you better describe it? Does it sound like a relay going on/off or could it be a motor?

Any chance it is the HVAC, vac or motor actuator fault? If you turn HVAC completely off does it still happen?

If none of the above gives any clues as to what is going on, I'd check the current consumption by measuring fuse voltage drops, and see if the noise might be coming from the under dash relay box.

I'd also wonder if your multi-function switch is broken (or wires pulled out the rear of its harness connector and are shorting together) and it is causing the turn signal relay to activate, though I'd think you'd notice the dash indicator or the turn signal itself coming on if that's what is happening.
Hi, It sounds like the 4 way flashers are on, but they are not.
It's all the time, regardless of key on, off, door locked, unlocked.
Ran Forscan, only code is p1000
I've felt all the relays, nothing.
Guess I'll pull them to see if I can pinpoint. Sound coming from behind dash, but weak sound under hood. Oh, new multi switch 4 mo. Ago , those features work fine.

Sometimes it's easier to pinpoint sound source by holding a piece of ear to your hose. ;)

I'd do that with the relay box under the dash on the driver's right footwell area, behind glovebox, and behind radio... and think about pulling the battery saver relay to see if it stops, and if it does, swap that with another relay.

P1000 just means drive cycle not completed since the battery was disconnected. I don't have any particular reason to suspect them, but would also wonder about the door and back hatch, latches and switches.

One of the following may be the driver's footwell relay locations for a '99. If it is either of these, please let me know so I can add that info to the file name to ID it again later.

Relay Box 2001 Explorer Sport.gif
1647296498046.jpeg

Sometimes it's easier to pinpoint sound source by holding a piece of ear to your hose. ;)

I'd do that with the relay box under the dash on the driver's right footwell area, behind glovebox, and behind radio... and think about pulling the battery saver relay to see if it stops, and if it does, swap that with another relay.

P1000 just means drive cycle not completed since the battery was disconnected. I don't have any particular reason to suspect them, but would also wonder about the door and back hatch, latches and switches.

One of the following may be the driver's footwell relay locations for a '99. If it is either of these, please let me know so I can add that info to the file name to ID it again later.

View attachment 427363View attachment 427364
All right!! I will tackle that area on Wednesday. Thank you so much JC. Your knowledge and info are the BEST

Even better would be if someone who had this fault happen already, notices the topic and replies. :)

Even better would be if someone who had this fault happen already, notices the topic and replies. :)
I've finally been able to try to FIND the above relays with NO LUCK.
The flasher relay was there, but that was all. That is what is Ticking. Put in new flasher (2), stopped ticking, but flashers, turn signals don't work.
I have LED marker lights with the LED Flasher relay. I'm going back to stock bulbs, but still would like to find relays in your diagram/pics.
I have dash Bezel, cluster, radio all out, still can't find. Any other ideas?

I'd use a multimeter and the attached wiring diagram to find where power stops on the flasher circuit.

I don't understand "still would like to find relays in your diagram/pics". Did you check for a relay box, up under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell? It may have a cover on it that needs opened to see them?

The cluster and radio illumination, I'd wonder if your dash dimmer dial has oxidized/dried-up-grease and needs cleaned out. There's a great topic about that with lots of pics here:

I'd use a multimeter and the attached wiring diagram to find where power stops on the flasher circuit.

I don't understand "still would like to find relays in your diagram/pics". Did you check for a relay box, up under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell? It may have a cover on it that needs opened to see them?

The cluster and radio illumination, I'd wonder if your dash dimmer dial has oxidized/dried-up-grease and needs cleaned out. There's a great topic about that with lots of pics here:

thanks JC, its the relay box i cant locate. I see a white box, , see if I can Open, or take it out. The cluster I removed to get it out of the way. Radio too, so, tomorrow I have clean schedule after 300, so then back to the Ex.

Here it is on my '98. For perspective, in the bottom left corner is the brake pedal. Hood release is in the top right corner. Arrow points to the black relay box. There's a springy plastic tab latch on the bottom, "maybe" one on the top as well.

It's accessed from the footwell, not behind the radio or cluster. Yes you need to be a contortionist, thanks Ford! I don't know if anything changed between '98 XLT and '99 EB.

relay-box.jpg
rb_latch.jpg

Here it is on my '98. For perspective, in the bottom left corner is the brake pedal. Hood release is in the top right corner. Arrow points to the black relay box. There's a springy plastic tab latch on the bottom, "maybe" one on the top as well.

It's accessed from the footwell, not behind the radio or cluster. Yes you need to be a contortionist, thanks Ford! I don't know if anything changed between '98 XLT and '99 EB.

View attachment 428020View attachment 428021
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
That's what I'll get to. I'll just pull seat out again to get in there.
I want to see if I can put the rails in the seat so I can sit back farther anyway...

Led bulbs could be causing issues for sure

The system wants to see some resistance because it is constantly looking for a bulb out warning. Led make it think a bulb is out
I would go back to halogen bulbs see if clicking goes away

You must also use a led compatible flasher if you want led bulbs to work without hyper flash or not working At all

In my 97 f350 every bulb is led truck was not happy so I added two halogen lights to the system and buried them inside the headache rack so they are not seen
Now everything works like stock but looks updated with all leds

Led bulbs could be causing issues for sure

The system wants to see some resistance because it is constantly looking for a bulb out warning. Led make it think a bulb is out
I would go back to halogen bulbs see if clicking goes away

You must also use a led compatible flasher if you want led bulbs to work without hyper flash or not working At all

In my 97 f350 every bulb is led truck was not happy so I added two halogen lights to the system and buried them inside the headache rack so they are not seen
Now everything works like stock but looks updated with all leds
Thanks, I have the LED flasher, with the vari turn sig bulbs
I have plenty incandescent bulbs, be giving those a try.
Thank you

View attachment 428020View attachment 428021
Thank you JC, I apologize not getting back sooner. Turns out the LED Flasher needed replacing. The "NEW" one was bad, it would click during test, but not flash when prompted. Then made its Flashing noise when it wasnt supposed to. Got a couple LED Flashers, 6. from the Amazon, so far so good.

Back