-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

RLC made this one. Not a straight bolt-on, gotta cut/drill the frame ends, but not bad.
-Dan
Yeah, I've seen that being the case, but they claim they won't do custom bumpers anymore, when I messaged on facebook at least. I wanted a grille guard setup on the bumper, hopefully similar to the way mine is because I like how my guard looks. And I could keep my lightbar if it was setup the same. They say they're too busy now a days to go custom, just standard or standard grille guard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cannot figure out the DRLs to save my life. Thought maybe the yellow is a switched ground, tried that and nothing still, the fogs work, DRLs we're at a loss for.
Looking at the Vinstar diagram - looks like you don't use the existing DRL power from the harness, just powered from any ACC-On power?

This is what I mean, the connectors between the oem and the aftermarket ones are different styles. The diagram is the start of the new ones. They won't connect to the factory harness, meaning I can't use the foglight switch, which is exactly what I need. The wider connector is the factory harness, the smaller one is for connecting the harness between both fogs for the daytime running lights. Theres a long harness between the two to hook up the daytime running lights via one ground and one positive with an inline fuse with the end connector. Theres also some small extension bits for the "supposed" to attach to the factory harness. Also, tested them, they work when given power. The daytime running lights do not, so we were thinking maybe it's a common ground between them and the fog, so if those aren't ground then it won't come on, but then I'm not sure what the yellow wire is. Unless the yellow is a second positive for connecting a switch, just without a fuse like the other two had, but if that were the case, the red would be useless. I'm started to see why I put this project off again, pita of a project. They came with zero instructions than what's shown on that diagram which is backwards on the box

View attachment 427589 View attachment 427590 View attachment 427591 View attachment 427592 View attachment 427593 View attachment 427594 View attachment 427595 View attachment 427596 View attachment 427597 View attachment 427598 View attachment 427599 View attachment 427600 View attachment 427601

I think I know what you are doing there now. The factory fog lights have the short wiring section to connect the lights to the vehicle harness. You should be able to use that as an adapter harness, cut off the front connector and solder the new light pigtail onto that. They sent that short pigtail yes? Just change the factory connector there, and then it plugs in, those come with weather seals right?

That's the same as doing a radio, wiring in the adapter of the HU, with a vehicle adapter harness you buy, to make one adapter harness which connects the two.

I think I know what you are doing there now. The factory fog lights have the short wiring section to connect the lights to the vehicle harness. You should be able to use that as an adapter harness, cut off the front connector and solder the new light pigtail onto that. They sent that short pigtail yes? Just change the factory connector there, and then it plugs in, those come with weather seals right?

That's the same as doing a radio, wiring in the adapter of the HU, with a vehicle adapter harness you buy, to make one adapter harness which connects the two.
This little one came with it, yes, but it's more of an extension since it's literally the same end as the previous onces you attach it. The freaking radio was easy, this is ridiculous!

20220321_113234.jpg

Yeah, I've seen that being the case, but they claim they won't do custom bumpers anymore, when I messaged on facebook at least. I wanted a grille guard setup on the bumper, hopefully similar to the way mine is because I like how my guard looks. And I could keep my lightbar if it was setup the same. They say they're too busy now a days to go custom, just standard or standard grille guard.
I'm going to fab-up a grill guard with a light mount bar. That will get welded to the top of the bumper over the winch.
Just have this "work" thing that keeps getting in the way.

I'm going to fab-up a grill guard with a light mount bar. That will get welded to the top of the bumper over the winch.
Just have this "work" thing that keeps getting in the way.
I don't have the equipment or experience to try that right now, so I'll keep bugging rlc till they say sure to the custom one, that's their whole thing, is custom yet now they won't do custom.

This little one came with it, yes, but it's more of an extension since it's literally the same end as the previous onces you attach it. The freaking radio was easy, this is ridiculous!

View attachment 427604
Does that diagram on the Vinstar not show it just getting ACC power to the DRL LED's? Then the White taps the headlight power to cancel/trigger the DRL's to turn off.

Figured it out. The connections are all fine, need to just hook up the old connector to this new one for the fogs to mount to the factory one. But the red wire supplies the power for the DRLs, which would mean hooking them into the factory DRLs on the switch. So like the headlight halos, turn the headlight switch once and the halos and other running lights come on, turn it again, them and the headlights and DRLs come on. So that's what I need to do for the red, yellow I can cap off, it's just used to switch the DRLs off when the fogs themselves come on, which I don't really want/need to have happen. So once I setup the modified new pigtail, should work fine, especially when I figure out where the wiring is for the factory trucks DRLs.

Well, on a side note, one project down, 999 more to go. I'll get some more pictures when it gets a bit darker out.

20220321_172013.jpg 20220321_172033.jpg

Swapped my old rgb leds from the visor for my old brighter green ones. Think it came out pretty nice!

20220321_194627.jpg 20220321_194553.jpg

Finally pulled the one of the cameras out for some nicer pictures, and dang those grille lights are nice and bright

DSCN1564.JPG DSCN1566.JPG

Suggestions for the other green grille leds? It was a 10 pack and I only used 4, dad was thinking rear shock lights, I was thinking running boards or both. Other places that would work well, or think either of those are a better choice? If not the running boards, only the shocks, then that still leaves four to use somewhere, I want to hear some creativity! Hate to leave them sitting around, while y'all give that some thought, I'm going to start taking measurements and cutting up some metal to makeshift brackets for the fogs

I do apologize for sending so much lately, been trying to get as much as possible done in my two days off. Working on making brackets to hook the fogs to the factory screws, decided to sling a hunk of metal at my hand while I was at it. But they're all four cut, have to cut a bit out of the center of each for the rounded mounts of the fogs, so that's going to be fun, ones almost halfway done with that, but the battery for the angle grinder died, man I need more than one battery. As some info, since while I had the factory fogs apart I didn't nab a picture: the mounts on the new fogs, sit about a centimeter closer together, just between the factory screw spots, so I use the sheet metal to mount in the factory locations, and mount the new fogs to the sheet metal, redneck ingenuity at its finest. Keep everyone updated on how this goes, hopefully it stays as easy as it is right now

20220322_102554.jpg

Suggestions for the other green grille leds? It was a 10 pack and I only used 4, dad was thinking rear shock lights, I was thinking running boards or both. Other places that would work well, or think either of those are a better choice? If not the running boards, only the shocks, then that still leaves four to use somewhere, I want to hear some creativity! Hate to leave them sitting around, while y'all give that some thought, I'm going to start taking measurements and cutting up some metal to makeshift brackets for the fogs
Do the shocks, then put the others away for spares for when the undercarriage stuff gets smashed by a rock...
Just sayin...

-Dan

Do the shocks, then put the others away for spares for when the undercarriage stuff gets smashed by a rock...
Just sayin...

-Dan
Yeah, guess that ain't a bad way to do it, just as a precaution, thank you!

Well, they're tight in the bumper trim pieces, but they hold, mostly. I'll go get some actual screws for them once I know they work while they're in, so ones held in by two screws and the other by one. Yes, I'm aware those homemade mounting brackets ain't great, I didn't have anything more than my hands, a drill, a file, and an angle grinder with one blade, so they're not perfect but they hold everything together and sit nice and tight. Now to worry about the wiring though.

20220322_142820.jpg 20220322_142809.jpg 20220322_142757.jpg 20220322_120542.jpg

Anyone 100% know which fuse to tap into for the powering the fogs DRLs? Trying to run them off the parking lamps so they work with the halos, think it's the interior fuse #30? But if it is, it'd be nice to know which wire color I'm looking for before I try to untangle that whole mess of wires. If theres a closer spot to connect them, that'd be nice to know as well, rather than trying to run it all the way to the interior fuse panel

And there we go, all done and hooked up, get some pictures tonight after work. Looking absolutely fantastic! Even during the day, the whole garage was lit by them

20220323_112455.jpg 20220323_111130.jpg 20220323_105655.jpg 20220323_105631.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure you said it here but where did you get the head lights at?
The headlights I got off of carid.com, the company that makes them is Anzo, can buy them in either led or halogen, I stuck with the halogens in the projectors. Have to use your own blinker bulb/led though. That and the two mounts on top, I broke one on each headlight and they're a year old, just thin plastic, so it's not the greatest, still deciding how to redo the ssecond mount. Also, as a warning, they're more expensive now a days, couple months after I swapped they went up close to $300, mine were only about $250.

Back