Cargo area cover for 22 Timberline or EXT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area cover for 22 Timberline or EXT?

jsgoofn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Beautiful Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST-Line
I've got a 22 Timberline Inbound in a month or so. I have a cargo area cover (fabric cover) for my 15 Ex Sport but so far haven't been able to locate one. I realize that attaching to the headrests might not work with the bucket seats in the second row. Has anyone given any thought to this or have seen something that might work? I always have "stuff" in the back and leave the 3rd row stowed and prefer not to make it easy for people to see and maybe steal my "stuff". Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also could not find any for the newer Explorer in my searches. Did find a post of yours from last December in the ExplorerST Forum.
There appear to be covers for behind the 3rd row but that is about all I could find. Happy hunting!

Peter

I also could not find any for the newer Explorer in my searches. Did find a post of yours from last December in the ExplorerST Forum.
There appear to be covers for behind the 3rd row but that is about all I could find. Happy hunting!

Peter
Thanks, Peter! I'm going to see if the one I have will fit. The 22 has a similar cargo net so the attachment points should be similar in the rear. The one I have attaches to the 2d row with elastic strips over the headrests and stretches back to the attachment points. Might have to get a little creative! There are no 22 or 21 Ex's anywhere to check! The soonest I can expect one to come available is April. Thanks again. 😊

I keep a moving blanket in the rear, especially if we are going shopping, on vacation, etc.... with the darker windows and a black moving blanket ... works just fine and super easy to fold up or spread out.

Sounds like a good idea. I usually keep stuff in the back that I like to keep there and a blanket might work. Thanks for the idea!

Sounds like a good idea. I usually keep stuff in the back that I like to keep there and a blanket might work. Thanks for the idea!
I do this as well. Between the tinted windows and the moving blanket, you really can't see anything back there.

Cool. Also, i have a cover for my 2015 and the Timberline has the hooks in the rear on the sides so I might try to make that work too.

Thanks for the great blanket suggestion. I will definitely be using that. 👍😊

I keep a moving blanket in the rear, especially if we are going shopping, on vacation, etc.... with the darker windows and a black moving blanket ... works just fine and super easy to fold up or spread out.
I just noticed your avatar. George from Seinfeld - I love that show. My favorite was the marine biologist - "the sea was angry that day my friends!"

I just noticed your avatar. George from Seinfeld - I love that show. My favorite was the marine biologist - "the sea was angry that day my friends!"
^^ Hole in one! :)

Good old Kramer - "was it a Titleist?" 😉😊

LOL - To bring this back on track, it seems there isn't an OEM option/solution for the rear cover area but we have some "DIY" options so far.

Definitely. As soon as I actually get my Ex, I'll be DIYing lots of stuff I'm sure. 😉

Found this in Ebay from a Chinese seller. Ex is popular there I'm thinking so these parts should be legit. I've messaged the seller but who knows if they can understand that I need measurements and a pic of the rear of the cover. The front attaches using plastic clips to the headrest. And the rear looks like it should fit in the space with the plastic hooks on either side. Looks rather substantial. Has anyone actually ordered a Chinese Ford part?

20220429_151724.jpg Screenshot_20220429-192314_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220429-192326_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220429-192344_eBay.jpg

Hey JS:

If you get any feedback [or if you happen to just get it], pls keep us posted - some of us have been looking for something like this.

Am curious as to how it clips on once it is fully pulled...

Jay

Hey JS:

If you get any feedback [or if you happen to just get it], pls keep us posted - some of us have been looking for something like this.

Am curious as to how it clips on once it is fully pulled...

Jay
After closely looking at the picture, it's definitely Not a 22 Explorer. Initially, I thought the two clamps would attach to the headrests and the bar would extend back to the two indents on the side. But that's not the case. So, the search continues.
However, I got a cover from my 15 Ex that sort of works. It attaches by elastic over the two headrests and the has loops that fit in the hooks in the back. I'll show pics. It doesn't look that great but it does cover the stuff.
Here is the one I have.
The two small elastic loops at the bottom of the pic fit on the hooks in the back.
The top of the pic there are two elastic loops that fit over the headrest and the square thing hangs down over the space between the seats to provide cover.
It is floppy and not taut but it does serve the purpose.
Most Ford parts places have them as well as Ebay.

Here's the website for this listing. You can get these for much less.

Screenshot_20220504-111551_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220504-111622_Chrome.jpg

I've found that the black blanket does a great job and is much easier to "install" than the factory cover I had in my 2015 Explorer.

The problem with the blanket, at least for me, is that it is not attached anywhere. I use the back area a lot and reshuffling things and then recovering with the blanket is too involved. I guess my minor OCD-ness enters into the equation as well! 😉😊

Here's a pic of the 2015 cover I use in my 22. I also used the 2015 cargo net. They don't fit perfectly but they work for my purposes. 😊

20220504_132540.jpg

Back