• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Aviator owners - need a favor

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Can any of you post a photo of your hood struts?

I would very much like to put struts on my Explorer ST, since Ford decided their $55K+ SUV doesn't need any.

I'd just like to see where they're mounted/attached to. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

I would very much like to put struts on my Explorer ST, since Ford decided their $55K+ SUV doesn't need any.

It's actually a $34k vehicle

steweod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'19 F150
Just wondering how often are people opening their hoods to where it makes a difference? However, I guess if you add them to the explorer you have a backup for when they go bad.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Just wondering how often are people opening their hoods to where it makes a difference? However, I guess if you add them to the explorer you have a backup for when they go bad.
Well I have opened mine 3 times besides the initial let's look at the engine. Oil change, jlt install, adding windshield fluid.. next time will be for the next oil change. Sure would be nice but nothing I am concerned with or spend money to attempt to add.

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
It's actually a $34k vehicle
You can get an ST for $34K?

Well I have opened mine 3 times besides the initial let's look at the engine. Oil change, jlt install, adding windshield fluid.. next time will be for the next oil change. Sure would be nice but nothing I am concerned with or spend money to attempt to add.
Have you ever had a vehicle with hood struts? If not, you get spoiled by not having to raise and lower a prop rod. Sure it may not seem like a big deal, but there’s cars well under the Explorer’s price point with them, and the Aviator has them...so why not the Explorer? They’re the same vehicle with some body panel differences. It’s a little bit of “luxury” I’ve come to expect from automakers, and if you’re spending the money, why shouldn’t you expect a little extra?

Zeeb

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
St George, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Hybrid

Have you ever had a vehicle with hood struts? If not, you get spoiled by not having to raise and lower a prop rod. Sure it may not seem like a big deal, but there’s cars well under the Explorer’s price point with them, and the Aviator has them...so why not the Explorer? They’re the same vehicle with some body panel differences. It’s a little bit of “luxury” I’ve come to expect from automakers, and if you’re spending the money, why shouldn’t you expect a little extra?
Got an '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the hood struts. They require replacement at what seems like unrealistic timed intervals and they are not cheap.

Even my 2014 $64,000 VW Touareg had the rod to hold the hood open So finding a rod on my 2018 Explorer didn't surprise me at all. Look at all the money you'll save by not having gas struts under the hood to replace all the time.

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Got an '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the hood struts. They require replacement at what seems like unrealistic timed intervals and they are not cheap.

Even my 2014 $64,000 VW Touareg had the strut to hold the hood open So finding one on my 2018 Explorer didn't surprise me at all. Look at all the money you'll save by not having gas struts under the hood to replace all the time.
As previously asked, just how many times are you going to open your hood?

I mean, these aren’t being used as much as say...hatch struts.

But thankfully instead of wasting money, I’m wasting time by engaging in wars of words with you fine fellows...as I’m no further along in my request than when I started.

Zeeb

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
St George, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Hybrid

But thankfully instead of wasting money, I’m wasting time by engaging in wars of words with you fine fellows...as I’m no further along in my request than when I started.
Sorry you're offended but my Aviator is still in a parking lot in Chicago making pictures unrealistic. I was just trying to suggest that you not do it as I had to replace the Jeep's struts two months ago, again.....

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Here are some of mine. The lower part is not readily visible. It seems to be attached to a part of the fender. Hope they help.

Peter

hood strut.jpg

hood strut3.jpg

hood strut2.jpg

steweod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'19 F150

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Here are some of mine. The lower part is not readily visible. It seems to be attached to a part of the fender.
thanks for the pictures. Looks like there’s sheet metal with the “nubs” missing on my Explorer that would make this impossible. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

QwikEVO

Reaction score
City, State
New Baden, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
That doesn't look too bad. one could most likely find all that on parts.ford.com
On Tasca, the struts themselves are $40/each.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

An ST is just a regular base model for under $34k with extras.. Hood struts would not come on a higher trim where lower ones dont. They would either have it or it doesnt which is why it has no bearing on the price, be it a Base, XLT, Limited, ST or Platinum.

Yes my f350 has gas shocks for the hood and my Audi did as well. Frankly it does not do much for me as I dont go under the hood often. I just dont see the big deal about it not having them.

It's like saying my $70k Platinum F350 doesnt have them.. well that is no different then a $35k XL trim truck.

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

Redline Tuning is releasing a kit at the end of the first quarter 2020.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
thanks for the pictures. Looks like there’s sheet metal with the “nubs” missing on my Explorer that would make this impossible. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
This is what they looked like installed on the 5th gen. Check out pages 7 & 9. Hood Struts ??

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 EB

Don't you just love when you ask a question and all the answers you get are more just rabbit holes about how wrong you are to have the question then answers to the question.
If I had an Aviator, I'd send you pics.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

steweod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'19 F150

Had my Excursion hatch not stay up and went to replace the struts. Did not realize it only had one bad strut until I was holding it up and my buddy popped the first strut off that happened to be the one good one and boy did that get heavy real fast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Aviator Grand Touring Reviews? Returned a Tesla Model X Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 5
A Aviator- Turn signals not stopping blinking Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 3
E Moving tiles on Aviator settings menu Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 1
G Aviator GT garage plug-in Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 2
J Did Aviator Lane Keeping just change? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 4
T Had meeting with Aviator Engineers today!! - Issues/etc Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 18
T Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Aviator) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 33
N Just Found Out I Won a $75,000 Lincoln Aviator! Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 18
J Detroit Free Press Slams Aviator Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 8
A Aviator Speed Limit Sign Removal? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 5
T Do Aviator or Explorer have auto locking? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 22
M Aviator Quality issues Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 2
ParkM Aviator vs. Explorer: Differences Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 24
T Digital Display sometimes changes when starting Aviator. Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 0
ParkM Folding Power Mirrors - 2020 Explorer & Aviator Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 11
P Aviator Adaptive Cruise Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 16
F Things You Would Like to See in the Explorer / Aviator Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 36
F 2020 Aviator Perfect Position Seat Issue Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 2
E How to Remove Aviator front license bracket Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 4
J 2020 Aviator and plywood Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 1
J Aviator "Adaptive Suspension" vs "Adaptive Suspension with road preview" Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 6
F Aviator GT - 494 HP / 630 lbft Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 3
T When will professional aviator reviews come out? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 27
peterk9 List of Useful Threads 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 12
peterk9 6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 185
J 2020 Aviator Owner’s Manual Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 3
B Test drive 2020 Aviator Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 18
N 2020 Explorer / Aviator Shipping Info Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 48
Rick 2020 Lincoln Aviator - Built on Explorer platform Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 36
Exit32 2020 Explorer and Aviator Order Guides Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 10
G Canadian Ford Owners Ipsos Reid Poll Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 2
J 2020 Ford Explorer Owners Event - Engineers Meeting Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 6