Change Trans Filter: Two Questions About How-to-Do | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change Trans Filter: Two Questions About How-to-Do

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer 4DR 2WD 4.0L SOHC Job 1, VIN E, 5R55E 5-speed Automatic O/D Transmission.
I plan to drop the transmission pan, and replace the filter, O-rings, bolt, and pan gasket.
1 - The cat is under the pan and "kind of" in the way. Can I do the job without removing the cat?
2 - How do I remove the heat shield that's attached to the transmission?
3 - What is the torque spec for the pan bolts?
Please advise. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 Explorer 4DR 2WD 4.0L SOHC Job 1, VIN E, 5R55E 5-speed Automatic O/D Transmission.
I plan to drop the transmission pan, and replace the filter, O-rings, bolt, and pan gasket.
1 - The cat is under the pan and "kind of" in the way. Can I do the job without removing the cat?
2 - How do I remove the heat shield that's attached to the transmission?
3 - What is the torque spec for the pan bolts?
Please advise. Thanks.
response
1. No comment
2. The heat shield clip on to the oil pan. I believe it Also uses one bolt from the pan.
3. The pan bolts is 8 ft/#.
The filter bolt maybe different in length. Check that. The Wix replacement filter comes with a longer bolt and spacer.

its been a bit since ive got a drain plug in m trans, but iirc its fine with it in place. i juet tilted it off to te side so its not hitting the cat iirc when draining. but its been a bit!

@Pete Deering - Good info. Thanks!

@Fix4Dirt - I've come to learn that the cat on 4WDs is angled and offset from the trans pan, while the cat on 2WDs (what I have) is squarely beneath the trans pan and gets in the way quite-a-bit.

@Pete Deering - Good info. Thanks!

@Fix4Dirt - I've come to learn that the cat on 4WDs is angled and offset from the trans pan, while the cat on 2WDs (what I have) is squarely beneath the trans pan and gets in the way quite-a-bit.
ah i see, ive got a 4wd so i didnt have that issue maybe!

The catalytic converter can Be left on
I suggest pumping the fluid out through the dipstick tube
so when you remove the pan you don't get a mess on your catalytic converter transmission fluid is flammable
Mine held about a gallon
Just unclip the heat shield and let it hang out of the way there will be plenty of room
The torque for the pan bolts Verys depending on the gasket you use
72 inch lbs sounds about right just tighten it Evenly by hand till the gasket Squishies out
Install the gasket clean and dry the pan clean and dry and the transmission clean and dry

The filter bolts are 89 inch pounds
Just my experience

@donalds - Roger that. Great tips! Many thanks! Re the torque specs, some follow-up questions:
  1. For the new pan gasket, I'm going to use a Ford F5TZ-7A191-A. Should I torque the pan bolts to 72 in-lb, or 96 in-lb... which one?
  2. For the filter bolt/s, I'll use 89 in-lb.
  3. While the pan is off, I want to make sure the valve body bolts are tightened properly. Is 96 in-lb correct for these bolts?
Please advise. Thanks.

For the new pan gasket, I'm going to use a Ford F5TZ-7A191-A. Should I torque the pan bolts to 72 in-lb, or 96 in-lb... which one?
If that gasket comes with the little metal incerts then the higher spec if it don't have them then the lower spec .....but more the by feel squash factor wrist tight

1654859093752.png

@donalds - Thanks for the reference to your 2019 post entitled “5r55e rebuilt 30k oil change cut open filter and loose band adjustment.” It’s very helpful. Also… just so you know… I do search the forum before posting questions. However, sometimes I don’t find all the relevant content. So, again, thanks for helping, posting, and advising. I always appreciate it.

@donalds - Thanks for the reference to your 2019 post entitled “5r55e rebuilt 30k oil change cut open filter and loose band adjustment.” It’s very helpful. Also… just so you know… I do search the forum before posting questions. However, sometimes I don’t find all the relevant content. So, again, thanks for helping, posting, and advising. I always appreciate it.
I'm always happy to help but you know that ;)

The pan 97-115 lb- in, filter 91-97 lb- in

IMG_20220610_094124.jpg IMG_20220610_094106.jpg

@Pete Deering - Thanks. Re the pages you photographed, are they for the 5R55E in the 2WD, or in the 4WD, which one?

@Pete Deering - Thanks. Re the pages you photographed, are they for the 5R55E in the 2WD, or in the 4WD, which one?
for 5r55e. I will look for the 2wd speed, the listing is for4R44E and4R55E

I have that book and the Factory service manual
but from experience tightening pan bolts too much is a bad idea :popcorn:

I have that book and the Factory service manual
but from experience tightening pan bolts too much is a bad idea :popcorn:
Where can i find these books?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And, just a thought, these torque values are minuscule. You need a GOOD torque wrench to hit these targets.

I also agree with suctioning the pan out through the dipstick. Way less mess, and worth the 10-15 you’d have in a pump.

Back