Ac compressor removal 2012 ford explorer 3.5? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ac compressor removal 2012 ford explorer 3.5?

shrtct

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I am in the process of replacing the ac compressor. Issue is the. Bottom right nut and shaft. The shaft seems to be part of the engine and when you try and slide it forward the ac compressor will hit the front cross frame. Now it seems I might have to pull the alternator and lift up and slide forward? Please any advice would well appreciated! The alternator seized and after installing the alternatori found the pulley on the ac compressor seized as well. Has not been a fun job hehe. Have to love living in new England!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced mine with a Four Seasons from RockAuto. That bolt you are referencing is threaded into the block. It comes out.

If I remember right, to remove the Alternator you gotta drain and pull the radiator. It’s not really all that difficult.

You should have plenty of room to work on both. I had a similar problem. My A/C Compressor clutch went out and the alternator (although producing normal voltage) was noisy.

Good luck!

Be happy the older explorers use R134a vs 1234yf

I replaced mine with a Four Seasons from RockAuto. That bolt you are referencing is threaded into the block. It comes out.

If I remember right, to remove the Alternator you gotta drain and pull the radiator. It’s not really all that difficult.

You should have plenty of room to work on both. I had a similar problem. My A/C Compressor clutch went out and the alternator (although producing normal voltage) was noisy.

Good luck!
I just replaced my alternator. It has the same deal with a threaded stud into the block and a nut on that. You don't need to remove the radiator but you do need to remove the fan.

I am in the process of replacing the ac compressor. Issue is the. Bottom right nut and shaft. The shaft seems to be part of the engine and when you try and slide it forward the ac compressor will hit the front cross frame. Now it seems I might have to pull the alternator and lift up and slide forward? Please any advice would well appreciated! The alternator seized and after installing the alternatori found the pulley on the ac compressor seized as well. Has not been a fun job hehe. Have to love living in new England!
It is supposed to come out. I am having the exactsame issue. Been struggling trying to get this thing out for two days... :(

SCN~us~en~file=Y4G12S00155B7xP16264-UxxVxx.jpg

I am doing the same thing! Just have to reverse out the stud- and jiggle until loose. It will fall out.

I can't figure out how to post a new note. But relates to 2012 Explorer AC compressor replacement. The clutch went out- I disconnected the harness so ac would not run so I could drive it. I'm hoping someone can recommend a place to buy the ac compressor? Rock auto? There was no leak in the system. I had it vac'd. Replacing alternator as well since it is right there. Anything else? I keep reading about "oriface tubes" make sure you replace the filter. I can't find what that is or where it is located? None of the videos I watched addressed this. I know what it is- but I am not certain this vehicle has? Mechanic wanted $1800 to replace and I just am done with that. Bought the equipment and just want to do this right. Any anyone help?

I am doing the same thing! Just have to reverse out the stud- and jiggle until loose. It will fall out.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
To post a message just scroll to the bottom of the page to where it says "Write your reply" and start typing.
I recommend Levittown Ford as a place to buy parts. They are a forum vendor and offer members a discount.
If replacing the alternator it is recommended to use a Motorcraft replacement to avoid possible issues that members have encountered with non-OEM alternators. Recommend to not buy a non Motorcraft alternator

Peter

Back