Ford Explorer 2012 Noisy AC or Cabin Fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2012 Noisy AC or Cabin Fan

Philippe_T

Reaction score
City, State
NB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
I got a problem with the AC or the cabin fan of my 2012 Explorer. When it has been operating for a while (15 minutes) and running the AC at low speed I can hear an oscillating noise like a whistle noise, which can get pretty loud. I went outside and I can't hear it. It seems it is coming from inside the cabin.

I want to go to the stealership, but they won't know where to look either.

It all started shortly after they changed the AC compressor because the shaft on it broke.

Thanks for the help!

I'm guessing that this whistling sound is present whether the vehicle is idling or driving, right? Does the sound level change with the fan speed or does it remain at a constant level? Does the sound disappear when you turn the AC off?

Peter

Yes the sound is present from idling and under load. It changes the pitch with the rpm but not by a lot. It almost sounds like a supercharger but without the power... And when it gets worst the sound gets worst like an ON an OFF Pulse.

It occurs more when driving. Because when I'm parked to troubleshoot the issue it fades in. And for the AC on or off I will confirm I can't remember... The AC company who changed the compressor blames it on the cabinie fan.

Thanks

I checked and it only does it when the ac is on. To me it sounds like an issue with the compressor.

Back