Day Night sensor fell into dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Day Night sensor fell into dash

trailblazr81

Reaction score
City, State
Hollister
So I just picked up a 98 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD Explorer and noticed whenever I turn it on headlights tail lights and dash lights come on. I noticed on the dash on passenger side near the windshield a small round hole. I'm guessing this is where the day night sensor should be. Is it difficult to get back into place or is there a way to just make the lights go on n off via the headlight switch?

20221105_143238.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you’re describing is normal operation—all lights should be on with the headlights

If you want manual control, remove connector on back side of rear view mirror

The day/night sensor is built into the rearview mirror, yes? I agree with C420sailor, if the rearview mirror circuit is malfunctioning then pulling its connector should shut the lights off.

Where is Hollister? It can't be a city AND a state. Do you have daytime running lamps, maybe Canadian vehicle?

Im not sure on what that hole is, do ya have a picture of the hole? The lights are controlled by a slider on the mirror, yes. Unplug that from behind and then they're manually controlled by the switch left of the steering wheel

What you’re describing is normal operation—all lights should be on with the headlights

If you want manual control, remove connector on back side of rear view mirror
Headlights, taillights and dash lights on in the middle of the day? I've had a 2000 and a 96 X that didn't do this. I dontblike it. 😜

Mine has the hole passenger side trim under the windshield

@trailblazr81 Because others seem to be misunderstanding what you're describing, I'll let you know, I understand you.

People... He's not saying that all those lights come on when the headlamp switch is on. He's saying those lights come on automatically when the engine is running and the switch is off. Similar to a problem most of us are familiar with.

I've seen the little sensor thingy you're talking about. As far as whether it's the cause of the problem... that's another story, will discuss below.

I'll second @J_C on checking the glove compartment; it's fairly easy to remove, and there's plenty of space behind it. If yours fell down inside the dash, it could be there. Be careful what you whack in there though, if you've got the passenger side air bag.

Hazey's right wind shield wiper.

20221106_203910.jpg

The Vulture's right wind shield wiper.

20221106_203935.jpg

One of my vehicles has it, the other is missing it. Both have issues with the auto-lamp function, but the Vulture's issue seems more like the one you described. I'm inclined to believe however that this sensor "might" be for some thing else (any ideas, any one?) because the Vulture's lights don't come on automatically all the time (i.e., the sensor missing from the hole doesn't make the headlights come on automatically), only when it is dark outside. Knowing more conditions (such as whether you park under a tree, in a garage, etc.) that could affect your auto-lamps would make for interesting discussion, since auto-lamp issues are far from uncommon.

If you wish to disable the automatic headlamps altogether, and just use the switch to turn them on and off, do as @C420sailor and @J_C say, unplug the little wire to the "delay" slider on the back of the rear-view mirror, and that should bypass the entire circuit.

Let us know what you do, and let us know what the results are.

Otherwise... dude, that is one fine looking truck! Great find. Mind if I go off-topic and ask the mileage?

According to some research, auto lighting changed over the years.

Early models used the photocells on the mirror exclusively. Later models used the dash photocell (in the hole) for the lights and the mirror photocell for mirror auto-dimming in response to brights behind you.

Can anyone confirm?

Next time I'm in my '98 w/autolamps feature, I'll check for this sensor, but I'm pretty sure the back of my rearview mirror (facing forward down the road) has a light sensor there, as I recognize the CDS cell on the bottom left (driver's side) corner, located where it wouldn't be able to do anything related to the auto-dimming of the mirror, unless somehow sensed light reflected back off the windshield which seems unreliable since the angle of the windshield would only reflect onto that, if light was coming from my lap.

Here's a pic I got off ebay, and I imagine it is possible that later model years used the dash sensor, I mean I know they did on later generations of Ford vehicles but I wasn't aware of this change within the 2nd gen implementation of this... guess it had to happen, because there's a sensor hole in the dash, lol!

s-l1600.jpg

Next time I'm in my '98 w/autolamps feature, I'll check for this sensor, but I'm pretty sure the back of my rearview mirror (facing forward down the road) has a light sensor there, as I recognize the CDS cell on the bottom left (driver's side) corner, located where it wouldn't be able to do anything related to the auto-dimming of the mirror, unless somehow sensed light reflected back off the windshield which seems unreliable since the angle of the windshield would only reflect onto that, if light was coming from my lap.

Here's a pic I got off ebay,

View attachment 436236
Yeah, I'll do the same when I get back home tonight. See if my '99 XLT has the dash spot, can't recall if it does. All I know is my slider in the mirror was busted and stuck on unless I held it just right, so I unplugged it. Have to look for that on the back too and nab some pics

Yeah, I'll do the same when I get back home tonight. See if my '99 XLT has the dash spot, can't recall if it does. All I know is my slider in the mirror was busted and stuck on unless I held it just right, so I unplugged it. Have to look for that on the back too and nab some pics
Yeah, no idea where mines at either, but I do have the spot for it, which is interesting to know. Along with the mirror bit like shown before. But as said, unplug the mirror and it wont matter really, that'll give ya manual control over all the lights, rather than them just coming on every time via the sensor, wherever it may be in the dash lol

Sorry the photos are kind of crappy, wasnt digging out the keys tonight and just nabbed it through the foggy windshield. First of the mirror backside and the other two of the dash sensor spot

20221106_235000.jpg 20221106_234924.jpg 20221106_234920.jpg

@trailblazr81 Because others seem to be misunderstanding what you're describing, I'll let you know, I understand you.

People... He's not saying that all those lights come on when the headlamp switch is on. He's saying those lights come on automatically when the engine is running and the switch is off. Similar to a problem most of us are familiar with.

I've seen the little sensor thingy you're talking about. As far as whether it's the cause of the problem... that's another story, will discuss below.

I'll second @J_C on checking the glove compartment; it's fairly easy to remove, and there's plenty of space behind it. If yours fell down inside the dash, it could be there. Be careful what you whack in there though, if you've got the passenger side air bag.

View attachment 436232

View attachment 436232

View attachment 436233

One of my vehicles has it, the other is missing it. Both have issues with the auto-lamp function, but the Vulture's issue seems more like the one you described. I'm inclined to believe however that this sensor "might" be for some thing else (any ideas, any one?) because the Vulture's lights don't come on automatically all the time (i.e., the sensor missing from the hole doesn't make the headlights come on automatically), only when it is dark outside. Knowing more conditions (such as whether you park under a tree, in a garage, etc.) that could affect your auto-lamps would make for interesting discussion, since auto-lamp issues are far from uncommon.

If you wish to disable the automatic headlamps altogether, and just use the switch to turn them on and off, do as @C420sailor and @J_C say, unplug the little wire to the "delay" slider on the back of the rear-view mirror, and that should bypass the entire circuit.

Let us know what you do, and let us know what the results are.

Otherwise... dude, that is one fine looking truck! Great find. Mind if I go off-topic and ask the mileage?
Yes, thank you. I pulled the glove box n couldn't see a sensor. I did unplug the mirror and now have manual control and I'm satisfied. I was looking for a 4x4 4.0 SOHC explorer or a 2003+ model but everything in my price range had over 160,000 miles or was over 2 hours drive away. I found this one 20 minutes from my house with 112,000 miles. It's clean inside n out. Just normal 24 year old car stuff. Recently had all fluids replaced too.

The day/night sensor is built into the rearview mirror, yes? I agree with C420sailor, if the rearview mirror circuit is malfunctioning then pulling its connector should shut the lights off.

Where is Hollister? It can't be a city AND a state. Do you have daytime running lamps, maybe Canadian vehicle?
Hollister, CA birthplace of the American Biker. Ever see Marlon Brando in The Wild One? Anyways I disconnected the mirror and now all my lights aren't on in the daytime.

@trailblazr81 Sounds like a happily-ever-after is in order! One thing to be wary of, though, if all fluids were changed recently, that's either just good consideration before selling, or an indication that all fluids were ignored until the pre-sale check was made. Drive her around some and pay attention for the common issues associated with neglected maintenance, just to be sure. Either way, at 116k, she's still got more than 2/3 of her life left in her!

@trailblazr81 Sounds like a happily-ever-after is in order! One thing to be wary of, though, if all fluids were changed recently, that's either just good consideration before selling, or an indication that all fluids were ignored until the pre-sale check was made. Drive her around some and pay attention for the common issues associated with neglected maintenance, just to be sure. Either way, at 116k, she's still got more than 2/3 of her life left in her!
Ya you never really know but it was an old lady's car that she took care of til she had a stroke then it sat for a while. Her son did some repairs maintenance and replaced fluids before selling.

Back