• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage 6th Gen?

Jay4Pay

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
What are the highest mileage 6th Gen Explorers out there? My 20’ Explorer XLT has 112k miles. I have a 100+ mile daily commute! It’s actually supposed to have more than that but months ago my partner bought a new 2022 Tundra and we let the Explorer sit down for most days and unfortunately now, it’s in the body shop getting repaired for a deer accident! I’d estimate that it would’ve been well over 120k+ by now. Anywho, the only problems that we’ve had so far was a defective transmission, which was replaced under warranty within the first 2 months of ownership, and a defective thermostat which went around 90k! We’ve had regular maintenance, oil changes, air filters, tires and spark plugs and transmission fluid both replaced/changed at 100k. Are there any out there that have as many or more than as us?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow. Impressive. Only have 66k miles now.

Warranty work: LH catalytic converter downpipe, exterior b pillar replaced, passenger quarter window and trim replaced, a few modules updated (see below)
Out of pocket work (but would have been covered under warranty): driver's headlight seal fixed, driver's tail light moisture (replaced), midpipes with flex section failed (replaced with aftermarket), drivers window switch peeling (replaced), front axle speed sensor, undercarriage cover loose, axle hub actuator leak, both front axles replaced.
Modules updated (dealer and DIY): (AWD, BCM, RGTM, SCMJ, TRM ACM, IPC, ABS, GSM, IPMA, IPMB, PSCM, APIM, PCM, TCU)
Maintenance: Oil/filter changes every 10k miles, AEM air filter changes x2, brake bleeds x2, alignments x2, Front differential drain and fill, transfer case drain and fill, spark plugs, cabin filters x2, shocks/struts replaced

This is one 'club' I'll never be in. 6k miles in 39 months.🤣

Peter

good to hear of high milaege trouble free Explorers. I enjoy coming to this forum but so many seem to be haveing serious problems. I guess that is what the forum is for! Still, nice to hear the good stuff. I am problem free at 15,000 miles ( lol). There are the little things.. there is an interior rattle at times. I am not worried as i know its interior and not mechanical . It annoys me but at some point I'll figure it out. At time the trans shifts hard from 1 - 2 when cold but is fine otherwise and does not do it often. It seems to do it less and less as the car gets older. While I have been a loyal "Ford" guy for a long time, my biggest complaint is the dealer service dept. that are in my area. Those of you that have a good service dept are lucky.

Wow. Impressive. Only have 62k miles now.

Warranty work: LH catalytic converter downpipe (about to get this done), exterior b pillar replaced, passenger quarter window and trim replaced, a few modules updated (see below)
Out of pocket work (but would have been covered under warranty): driver's headlight seal fixed, driver's tail light moisture (replaced), midpipes with flex section failed (replaced with aftermarket), drivers window switch peeling (replaced), front axle speed sensor,
Modules updated (dealer and DIY): (AWD, BCM, RGTM, SCMJ, TRM ACM, IPC, ABS, GSM, IPMA, IPMB, PSCM, APIM, PCM, TCU)
Maintenance: Oil/filter changes every 10k miles, AEM air filter changes x2, brake bleeds x2, alignments x2, Front differential drain and fill, transfer case drain and fill, spark plugs, cabin filters x2
Wow you’ve seemed to have had a fair share of issues!

This is one 'club' I'll never be in. 6k miles in 39 months.🤣

Peter
Wow, we hit 6k within 1 1/2 month of ownership because I remember around that time the tranny went! We got ours in Dec 2019

good to hear of high milaege trouble free Explorers. I enjoy coming to this forum but so many seem to be haveing serious problems. I guess that is what the forum is for! Still, nice to hear the good stuff. I am problem free at 15,000 miles ( lol). There are the little things.. there is an interior rattle at times. I am not worried as i know its interior and not mechanical . It annoys me but at some point I'll figure it out. At time the trans shifts hard from 1 - 2 when cold but is fine otherwise and does not do it often. It seems to do it less and less as the car gets older. While I have been a loyal "Ford" guy for a long time, my biggest complaint is the dealer service dept. that are in my area. Those of you that have a good service dept are lucky.
I’ve actually on multiple instances thought of trading it in for a GV80 because I’m just not feeling the Explorer anymore. The trade in value of this high mileage Explorer is basically forcing me to keep it, as I’d be upside down on my new loan. This is my 2nd Explorer, my first was a 2014!

Wow you’ve seemed to have had a fair share of issues!
Yup. But after I get the catalytic converter replaced today, I feel like the issues are behind me. It has been a fairly reliable car. I did not get an extended warranty.

2021 Explorer Limited 63500 miles (125000 extended warranty)...
Warranty Issues = none
Recall Issues = 2... rear camera software update which didn't do anything for the intermittent blue screen AND rear axle bolt-shear software update which if it did anything I don't have any idea what it did - nothing noticeable.
Out of Pocket/DIY repairs = nothing major. Replaced the 3 plastic underbody cover fasteners with stainless steel washers and nuts to match the rest of the fasteners for the underbody covers
Maintenance work = oil/filter changes every 5000 miles or so, air filter at 35000, cabin air filter at 35000, tires at 61,000 (stayed with Pirellis - great tires)

22,576 on mine, 7K of which is by me since 5/31/22. In-service was 10/9/20, so 23K in 27 months. If not for a 2,600-mile road trip in July, it would be a good bit less. My commute is only 16 miles, round-trip.

I had an '88 Chevy 1500 which got 65K in 30 months (it spent five weeks in the shop).

Waddaya think a that? Low or High? No issues (knock on wood)

Waddaya think a that? Low or High? No issues (knock on wood)
Low. Personally, I consider high mileage to be north of 100K miles.

Peter

Glad to see longevity in these. My new-to-me '20 Limited is just a bit over 26k.
Hoping it runs long into our ownership & may go to my oldest daughter when she starts driving in 4.5 years.

Low. Personally, I consider high mileage to be north of 100K miles.

Peter
High mileage is north of 20K/year. 100K over ten years is not high mileage.

High mileage is north of 20K/year. 100K over ten years is not high mileage.
We're not talking yearly mileage but total mileage.

Peter

Understood, but with many vehicles passing 150K with no issues and running just fine, high mileage should be miles/year, not total. In the '50s, when NOTHING lasted that many miles, 100K was north of "remarkable". Now, north of 200K, "remarkable" is more appropriate.

Miles/year was how I evaluated used Explorers, some seemed high, but when you consider miles/year aren't comparatively as bad. I only do about 10k/yr on average, since the Expedition takes road trip duty.
My first 2 cars were early 80s diesel Mercedes, both with well over 300k on them & still running great.
Out of the 12 cars (14 including my wife's) that I've had, only 5 of mine have had under 100k when I bought them, 4 under 50k, and one of those was new.

My dad just sold his 02 Silverado Z71 a couple months ago, with 347k on it, original engine, 2nd trans & tfr case. Well maintained (he works for a Chevrolet dealer & has 35 years in the car business on the svc side). Got something like 7500 for it.,

Miles/year was how I evaluated used Explorers, some seemed high, but when you consider miles/year aren't comparatively as bad. I only do about 10k/yr on average, since the Expedition takes road trip duty.

I've got a low mileage 1st gen. Only 140k on a '93. 4600 miles a year. Only one problem. Those were really rough miles. :D

ditch5.jpg

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back