Making an OBDII PCM to dongle adaptor cable | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making an OBDII PCM to dongle adaptor cable

1998 Explorer PCM pinout
pins1-png.438622

pins2-png.438623

DATA link connector picture out of a 1999 F150. I assume this is the same model to model.
1999datalinkconnector.jpg

1999 Crown Victoria PCM pinout
hU2l6Sa.png

IeBNYlS.png

Label wires on 1999 Crown Vic PCM harness before removal. Keep PCM/harness wired stock. Address very few plug end differences.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune 5 wires on the DATA connector? leaving the chassis ground wire out of it?
And a toggle switch for PCM pin 71 for KOEO and KOER.

Junkyard connectors
pcmdatacon.jpg

I spent several minutes this morning picking out the wires to keep. Instead of pulling the connector apart to pull out the excess wires, I think that I will cut them flush with the gray connector. There is a pair of power wires that I have a question about. I cut the connector off of a 1997 Explorer. On the Explorer, wires 71 and 97 have key on power (hot in start or run). On the 1999 Crown Vic PCM pin 97 is not used. I'm inclined to leave wire #97 in place so that this harness will work on the Explorer PCM and the Crown Vic. Maybe someone knows the answer to this question? Since on the '99 CV PCM it says #97 pin not used, would it cause a problem when the test harness is plugged in to the Crown Vic PCM?
pcmtest2.jpg

I'm also shopping for a harness to go between the data connector and a Laptop or PC. Has anyone used this item pictured below and is it adequate for using TunerPro software?
usbvlinker.jpg

im wuite sure all the dongles are created newr equally, since the 15 dollar one does everything (wuth forscan) any other adapter has done

thebonly difference might be huild quality

I clicked
Like because of all the wicked spelling errors

I do this often so it’s great to see somebody else do it too! Stupid smart phones

@410Fortune @Fix4Dirt His fingers must be bigger than his keypad.
Jamie, I was going to ask you what you thought about the key on power wires on the PCMs? Two for the Explorer and one for the '99 Crown Vic.

the second power feed on the explorer pcm won’t hurt the crown Vic pcm because if that pin was not used in the crown Vic the power will simply go nowhere

Now let me go look see in my explorer wiring books what that pin and power is for

@410Fortune If you scroll up to the top of page 2, I have the pinout chart for a 1998 Explorer PCM & the '99 Crown Vic. I found the 2 wires in question factory tapped (connected) together.

Geeze man okay pin 97 is red wire vpwr out from pcm relay to several relays and the pcm (so key on power into the pcm)
this is the red wire that powers everything like injectors iac and more

Circuit 361 not sure why the crown Vic pcm does not need it it likely gets power from somewhere else like the ignition switch

I have the 96 explorer wiring book in my
Lap

C57B7791-BB34-486F-8DE7-BF5021D87C54.jpeg

2109C716-EB6C-46A6-9963-5BE0A24DE542.jpeg

81098533-9AF9-4DCC-869D-34218D613ED5.jpeg

As you can see this is power feed from pcm relay to many places
Ignition switch turns on relay in start or run positions

The 96-97.5 5.0 had lots of wires over the years they eliminated many of them. Too
Many redundant feeds not needed

His fingers must be bigger than his keypad.
nope, not really, theyre actually on the smaller side! just tired of autocorrect making changes, or like pcm auto corrects to pam, so i gave up :p just end up typing faster on the phone

nope, not really, theyre actually on the smaller side! just tired of autocorrect making changes, or like pcm auto corrects to pam, so i gave up :p just end up typing faster on the phone
A brutal response would be, I use speech to text on my phone.

if i used StT half the words would be um and why doesnt this thing work lol

@410Fortune Thanks again Jamie for your expertise and your Service manuals. I have a pile of short wires on the floor under me. Do you know anything about cracking in to these PCMs? Me and Don have a discussion going, back and forth about it all...

I can't use talk to text, the words would have to be edited or blacked out. I don't do well with technology, hell I cuss at my car radio all the time, the bad songs and constant advertisements make me change the station constantly(while cussing it).

I need to make a video before I retire, of my delivering mail. It would be enlightening to anyone not having a good idea what it's like. But it will have to have music dubbed over it, or me not speaking; my yelling at the radio would not be safe for work content.

I'm over halfway together on my little black box. I just have the soldering to do.
blackbox.jpg

55 constant power keep alive power (yellow)
71-97 paired together-Power hot in start or run (red)
24-Power ground and other spliced together (black with white stripes)
13-DLC (purple)
15-DLC bus - neg (pink with blue stripe)
16-DLC bus +pos (tan with orange stripe)
note: can bus wires twisted together
Below is picture from trucks forum. I don't know what potentials I mea...
is. It came with the picture.
Payson's OBDII Data Link Key Off & KOEO Plus Diagram.jpg

Added info from other places in thread

@410Fortune Jamie, Do you think that anything needs to be done with wire #7 and wire #16 in the datalink connector?
I ask because I'm wondering how my VCM2/J2534 device will get power?

@410Fortune @CDW6212R @donalds I'm back around to working on my DLC/PCM connector bench test "black box". I still have a question about wire #7 and #16 in the Data Link Connector. Thursday morning, I will be finishing the soldering. I just have these two wires that have me wondering. I do have a junkyard $20- PCM to hook up all of this for when I have the software all situated. I have a code writer friend that is helping me put all of the software where it should be. I'm not a PC repair or computer brainiac by any means. I can just barely surf the web.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DLC pin 7 is using a different, ISO9141 data bus to the GEM, also connected to airbag module, memory seats, RAP, ABS, and auto ride control. It is not needed to communicate with the PCM.

Pin 16 is just a fused 12V lead from the battery. It is for powering something plugged into the DLC (like an external code reader, not power to the PCM) or getting a system (battery + alternator) voltage reading off it, nothing more. You could power your VCM2/J2534 device with that pin, but there is no real need to, when you can just run 12V direct to it instead (assuming it needs 12V?) ... I didn't follow the topic carefully enough to know which is going to be easier.

I posted a diagram here: Mice :(

Back