• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2017 Fog Lights Problem

under4egg

Reaction score
City, State
Ukraine
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Platinum '17
Hi! I have '17 Explorer Platinum. It had front damage so I've got LED foglights with bumper installed from newer car.

The problem chain is following:

suddenly after repair my distronic radar stopped working with B142E DTC code. I tried to initiate calibration but it failed because of active DTC codes. The only one active DTC after clearing was B14E5:55 - not configured. I tried to re-initialize both headlights. It was successful for the right one and failed for the left.

I run BCM self-diagnosis and found the following codes: B14E5:61, B14E5:55, B1147:15, B143C:11, B143B:11, B1305:01.

B1147:15 says my left fog-light doesn't seem to be working but it actually does! I have current on the foglight's input. I tried to disconnect the right one - BCM reports me about that.

I even tried to connect left foglight to the right connector and the BCM says right is fine but the left one is still missing.

So I have current on both pins, I have 100% working foglight but for some reason BCM thinks it's not working or even not installed.

What I'm missing here?

PS. Both of headlights are taken from another car as well as foglights since my was totally destroyed. Right headlight is equipped with original LED ballast control module and the left one has the same color but still taken from another car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave: I don't have the answer to the problem but what was the donor vehicle?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave: I don't have the answer to the problem but what was the donor vehicle?

Peter
Idk to be honest because they have lots of donors there and I wasn't present at that time when they took headlights and control module from that specific donor.
I'm not sure if that will help to clarify the situtation but I've noticed the left LED DRL is not working if car is parked at the daytime. Right one works. That's the only difference between headlights, other modes work just the same. You can see that on the pic.

Unfortunately, front grill is not from Platinum, but I'll fix that later :)

photo_2023-06-15_00-29-37.jpg

Idk to be honest because they have lots of donors there and I wasn't present at that time when they took headlights and control module from that specific donor.
I'm not sure if that will help to clarify the situtation but I've noticed the left LED DRL is not working if car is parked at the daytime. Right one works. That's the only difference between headlights, other modes work just the same. You can see that on the pic.

Unfortunately, front grill is not from Platinum, but I'll fix that later :)
The DRL runs on the LED low beam at reduced brightness. The LED light ring around the headlight is called The Signature Light. Not all vehicles have the Signature Lights operational. Do you know if both headlamps came out of the same donor vehicle?

Peter

The DRL runs on the LED low beam at reduced brightness. The LED light ring around the headlight is called The Signature Light. Not all vehicles have the Signature Lights operational. Do you know if both headlamps came out of the same donor vehicle?

Peter
Thanks for clarifying this! I really thought it's the part of DRL system since it starts to work right after the vehicle start :)
I believe both headlights are from the same donor car but modules are not. Right is mine and the left is from donor.
Btw, when the car is running or at least is not parked then the Signature Light is working on both headlights.

Well, it seems like my problem is finally solved :)
First of all I bought vgate vlinker fs instead of very Chinese version of els327. It gave me opportunity to run re-initialize left headlight successfully. Also I programmed cruise control and set it to ordinary instead of adaptive so my Explorer finally got a cruise control.
As for CCM calibration it said I need to do a horizontal alignment. The problem is this alignment is set by radar bracket, so I removed the front bumper and foud the radar bracket is bent.
My car was at the body shop after buying so I didn't see they installed bent bracket. Surelly it won't calibrate and there is no brackets in stock in Ukraine, so I straighten the bracket, straghten and fixed all fastenings, then leveled radar vertically with the inclinometer and horizontally by moving bracket in parallel to the radiators installation panel.
After that I've got some new DTCs with the ABS and CCM module. I reconfigured ABS to default, then set CCM to default and got U2300. This was because misconfiguration of BCM, so I reset BCM to default settings and that's it. Now I have adaptive cruise control working and hopefully it won't stop working after few kilometers :)

photo_2023-07-01_22-23-18.jpg

photo_2023-07-01_22-23-17 (3).jpg

Back