Self-inflected DRL/Low beam/Signature LED issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Self-inflected DRL/Low beam/Signature LED issues

jwcgc629

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Out of brain-fade, I pressure washed the engine compartment recently, forgetting I never replaced the cap after installing brighter Halogen bulbs. I now have several issues. Right side DRL/LB wont turn off no matter the position of the headlight switch. It stays on for 10 minutes after opening a door or shutting down the engine which would appear the battery saved mode shutting it off, and not the selectable light delay. Left side (where the bulk of the water entered) is DOA for both DRL/LB and signature lighting. Forscan is showing 3 error related to the BCM.....B14E7:11-08 and B14E5:08...both bus signal/message failures with the LED ballasts. The 3rd is B14E0....exterior lamps power supply...fault "circuit short to ground" again, a BCM fault. The BCM has not other fault codes despite the number of functions it controls do I dont think it is the issue. Im wide open for suggestions as to how to use these codes to track down the faulty component or components. Im very savvy with electronics, but this is beyond my pay and knowledge grade. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you may need a whole replacement housing with new bulbs etc... Ouch, that'll be a pricey lesson.

Sounds like you may need a whole replacement housing with new bulbs etc... Ouch, that'll be a pricey lesson.
Thanks, but ouch is not much help in troubleshooting ...looking for others that have had and solved similar issues....the high beams are fine (bulbs).....and the LED DRL/LB in the right are fine, (Not bulbs) just not operating correctly which points to the ballast......The LEDs themselves should be relatively moisture proof, but the ballast is not. I wont know until I can substitute a ballast and understand the true meaning of the error codes which point to something other than the LED's themselves.

I would start by unhooking the connections from the lights and working back through the harness. Unplug anything that got wet and let everything dry out. You may get lucky. I imagine its possible something is shorted and will need a multimeter or something to verify voltage. Maybe check fuses to be sure nothing got zapped

Thanks, but ouch is not much help in troubleshooting ..the high beams are fine (bulbs).....and the LED DRL/LB in the right are fine, (Not bulbs) just not operating correctly which points to the ballast......The LEDs themselves should be relatively moisture proof, but the ballast is not. I wont know until I can substitute a ballast and understand the true meaning of the error codes which point to something other than the LED's themselves.

I would start by unhooking the connections from the lights and working back through the harness. Unplug anything that got wet and let everything dry out. You may get lucky. I imagine its possible something is shorted and will need a multimeter or something to verify voltage. Maybe check fuses to be sure nothing got zapped
Thanks....I did unplug, inspect and put contact cleaner (which also displaces moisture) on the connectors on the rear of both housings...left was very wet, right was bone dry. There are 2 50A fuses (48 and 50) which appear fine, though I have not removed to test. They are labeled Body Control Module RP1 and RP2 bus. All other BCM functions are fine, so I dont think it is the BCM itself. Tough to test for voltages without a schematic of the harness to know what Im looking for. It has been 2 weeks, so everything should be dry, but the problems remain. Given the LED control ballast it located at the very bottom of the housing with the connector facing upward, I fear that is the source of any moisture related short.....but headlight must be removed to check or replace, and bumper must be removed to remove headlight. Nothing can be easy with these 5th gens.

$_1.png

Thanks....I did unplug, inspect and put contact cleaner (which also displaces moisture) on the connectors on the rear of both housings...left was very wet, right was bone dry. There are 2 50A fuses (48 and 50) which appear fine, though I have not removed to test. They are labeled Body Control Module RP1 and RP2 bus. All other BCM functions are fine, so I dont think it is the BCM itself. Tough to test for voltages without a schematic of the harness to know what Im looking for. It has been 2 weeks, so everything should be dry, but the problems remain. Given the LED control ballast it located at the very bottom of the housing with the connector facing upward, I fear that is the source of any moisture related short.....but headlight must be removed to check or replace, and bumper must be removed to remove headlight. Nothing can be easy with these 5th gens.

View attachment 422895
I found a post in which an owner appeared to have a similar issue, but have no idea how to reach out given the age of his post.

led5.png

I believe the ballast comes as part of the headlight assembly, I do have a pair from a damaged pair of headlamps, let’s make a deal!

I believe the ballast comes as part of the headlight assembly, I do have a pair from a damaged pair of headlamps, let’s make a deal!
It bolts to the bottom of the assembly.....Sport is going in Thursday for some troubleshooting to pin down the error codes....Ive done all I can do with Forscan. If they are from 16-19 (LED low/DRL....halogen High) and the part #'s match, I would definitely be interested. What is the part# of yours ? These are the 2 that Ford shows for a 2018.

fords.png

It bolts to the bottom of the assembly.....Sport is going in Thursday for some troubleshooting to pin down the error codes....Ive done all I can do with Forscan. If they are from 16-19 (LED low/DRL....halogen High) and the part #'s match, I would definitely be interested. What is the part# of yours ? These are the 2 that Ford shows for a 2018.

View attachment 422947
Looks like the 2nd one, they are from a police utility

Back