2004 Ford explorer transmission questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford explorer transmission questions

pat2023

Reaction score
City, State
Barnell, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford explorer
So I've had the known issues with my Ford explorers transmission for some time, aka, the solenoid pack not wanting to shift correctly, not wanting to go into reverse immediately, etc. nothing horrible, very tolerable and since I'm not a mechanic I've just babied it. Recently though it went horrible in one day and wouldn't shift into 2nd or third on the way home, engine revving, dropping out of gear. I got it home but feared the worst. I dropped the pan to inspect for damage hoping I could just change the solenoid pack and move on. I don't think this has been serviced, I purchased used with high milage as a work vehicle so I'm concerned with the stuff located on the magnet, do not know if this is normal. Also, there is a part I do not know what it is, what it does, see images, and it seems to have some flimsy piece of very thing metal in it that moves very easily. I don't know if this is normal, supposed to be like that, or needs replacing. Before I proceed with sinking money into purchasing anything I wanted feedback from some people who have more experience with these, if I can change the pack, I will and cross my fingers but if I've got to sink more money into it or take it to a transmission shop then it might not be worth it .

PXL_20240128_202307663.jpg

PXL_20240128_202335688.jpg

So I've had the known issues with my Ford explorers transmission for some time, aka, the solenoid pack not wanting to shift correctly, not wanting to go into reverse immediately, etc. nothing horrible, very tolerable and since I'm not a mechanic I've just babied it. Recently though it went horrible in one day and wouldn't shift into 2nd or third on the way home, engine revving, dropping out of gear. I got it home but feared the worst. I dropped the pan to inspect for damage hoping I could just change the solenoid pack and move on. I don't think this has been serviced, I purchased used with high milage as a work vehicle so I'm concerned with the stuff located on the magnet, do not know if this is normal. Also, there is a part I do not know what it is, what it does, see images, and it seems to have some flimsy piece of very thing metal in it that moves very easily. I don't know if this is normal, supposed to be like that, or needs replacing. Before I proceed with sinking money into purchasing anything I wanted feedback from some people who have more experience with these, if I can change the pack, I will and cross my fingers but if I've got to sink more money into it or take it to a transmission shop then it might not be worth it .

View attachment 449408

View attachment 449409

PXL_20240128_202535918.jpg

Back