Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Where is everyone getting the police interceptor wheels from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would doubt that they do. Check your area scrap yards if they've got any. I have 3 yards in my area and all 3 had them.

Good idea, I found one with four wheels but they wanted $125/wheel. I couldn't pass up new ones for $87CAD/$73USD each in Canada so I went that route. I called in the order and the wheels showed up the next day! Crossing the border went smoothly (no duty).

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly. Now to get the package put together. Happy New Year!

Peter

Good idea, I found one with four wheels but they wanted $125/wheel. I couldn't pass up new ones for $87CAD/$73USD each in Canada so I went that route. I called in the order and the wheels showed up the next day! Crossing the border went smoothly (no duty).

Mind sharing which dealer? I never got around to crossing the border for my wheels, but would still be interested for that price.

Anyone know what size lug nuts for the hubcaps? I'm assuming a standard acorn style would work to hold them? I just don't want to pay $200+ for lugnuts.

Thanks guys.

Which wheel are you going with? The one in post 52 or 301? They have different lug nuts to hold the hubcap in place.

Peter

Which wheel are you going with? The one in post 52 or 301? They have different lug nuts to hold the hubcap in place.

Peter

The base style 17" with the full hubcap. I've got the wheels and hubcaps, but I can't seem to find any lugnuts other than from Ford. The cheapest I found them for is 8.62 each, and I really don't want to spend that kind of money on lugnuts.

I paid $12.57 ($251.40 CDN) each for mine from the dealer back in October 2011 :eek: Good luck.

Peter

Could you post a picture of them? I'm looking for some that will work without having to pony up for the oems from the dealer.

Unfortunately I don't have them anymore. When the dealer talked me out of the final year of my lease, I sold the whole tire package to a neighbour's son-in-law who has a 2013 Limited. The picture is all I have that shows the built in flange that holds the wheel cover on.

Peter

Attachments

• PC040274a.jpg
    PC040274a.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 696

Thanks. I found some for 7.41 so I figured I'd go for it.

If anyone is looking for some for cheap, I found them at carparts(dot)com.

Sport vs XLT wheels

I'm looking hard at buying a 2016 EX Sport. Here in Iowa the winters are real hard on wheel corrosion. I had a 2008 Ex Adrenalin and it all but trashed the 20" wheels on it. I see Explorer and Edge wheel bolt pattern are the same but will I run into brake caliper clearance problems if I go to a 17" or 18" wheel?

I'm looking hard at buying a 2016 EX Sport. Here in Iowa the winters are real hard on wheel corrosion. I had a 2008 Ex Adrenalin and it all but trashed the 20" wheels on it. I see Explorer and Edge wheel bolt pattern are the same but will I run into brake caliper clearance problems if I go to a 17" or 18" wheel?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Don't go smaller than 18". Have you considered going with the 18" steel Interceptor wheels? I have those for Winter as have a few other members.
Check out post 367 in this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3358062&postcount=367
Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Don't go smaller than 18". Have you considered going with the 18" steel Interceptor wheels? I have those for Winter as have a few other members.
Check out post 367 in this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3358062&postcount=367
Peter

Im looking at ordering a set of interceptor wheels with some snows next winter. Luckily I live close to the Canadian boarder because they are way less expensive up there. US dealer wanted right around 300 each. Ford dealer in Ontario Canada said 105 each.

The Canadian dealer gave me a price of $1278.03 (tax included) for wheels, caps, TPMS and lug nuts.

I found the caps, TPMS and lugs online for $361, set of Pirelli winter tires for $568 and after the exchange I can get the wheels for about $380 after the exchange rate totaling about $1309.

Getting winter tires for my sport rims was about the same price. I think I am going to go with the interceptor wheel setup. One questions though, will I run into any issues with the TPMS as I swap wheels through the seasons? Will the vehicle automatically pickup whats currently mounted? Any advice for people running the setup?

Thanks!

My invoice shows the Interceptor wheels were listed at $102.95 and they sold them to me for $88 each.
There was at least one other member who crossed and bought his in Windsor, Ontario.

Peter

My invoice shows the Interceptor wheels were listed at $102.95 and they sold them to me for $88 each.
There was at least one other member who crossed and bought his in Windsor, Ontario.

Peter

Yeah they told me they were listed at 118 each but he'd give them to me for 105. Idk if its worth arguing comparing my other local prices. I'll have to see if there's any other Canadian Ford dealers within reasonable distance where it would be worth a longer dive for a better price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have Bridgestone Blizzak LM 60 Tires that I use for Winter that ride very well and are quiet. They have the snowflake and mountain symbol. They are called winter tires but can be used in the summer. Life of the tires is unknown since they would wear more in the summer as the temp rises. Living up north with cooler summers they would probably last longer. They are more expensive ( $250 plus or minus each) than some all season tires but they ride and grip very well on all surfaces.

For now for the explorer tire size this may be the best option.

Back