alldata help - accelerator pedal bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

alldata help - accelerator pedal bracket

alite34

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Limited
My 98 LTD 4X4 SOHC's gas pedal bracket fell off the fire wall, gas pedal is laying on floor! Could someone post the detail for TSB Nov 00 # 00-24-3 titled: accelerator pedal bracket - cracks & fatigue? Anyone had this happen already - and advise how you fixed it? It appears the spot welds have broken off the back of the bracket where it was attached to the firewall. Thanks in advance!! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Accelerator Pedal Bracket - Cracks or Fatigues
Article No.
00-24-3

11/27/00

ACCELERATOR PEDAL BRACKET - SHEET METAL CRACKS OR FATIGUES AT DASH PANE AREA - ALL MODELS - VEHICLES BUILT 9/1/1990 THROUGH 7/1/1999

FORD:
1991-1999 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
1997-1999 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
The accelerator pedal bracket may become loose or separated from the dash panel on some vehicles. This may be caused by repeated excessive force on the accelerator pedal, resulting in cracking of the dash panel sheet metal at the accelerator pedal bracket.

ACTION
Repair loose or separated accelerator bracket and/or crack at dash panel. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Refer to Figure 1 illustration throughout Service Procedure.

Remove accelerator pedal pivot bolt and pedal from bracket.

With bracket placed in original position on dash panel, use the two (2) holes in base of bracket as pilots, and drill two (2) holes in dash panel using a 9 mm (11/32") drill.

Examine dash panel on engine side for any cracks related to the attachment failure. If cracks are present, clean the surface with a suitable solvent and apply sealant to the cracks, such as RTV Sealant (F5TZ-19G204-AB).

Apply same sealant on the underside of the head flanges and all around the shanks of two (2) M8 x 16 hex flange Bolts (W500022-S309).

From inside the vehicle, with bracket held in original position, insert bolts through holes in bracket and dash panel.

On engine side of dash panel, assemble on (1) Flatwasher (391982-S191) (7/16" ID x 1.0" OD), and one (1) M8 prevailing torque hex flange Nut (W520112-S309) on each of the bolts. Tighten nuts to a torque of 27-33 Nm (20-24 lb-ft).

Replace pedal and pivot bolt and tighten pivot bolt to a torque of 9-12 Nm (80-108 lb-in).

Check accelerator pedal for proper operation.

PART INFORMATION
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Cover

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

002403A Repair Of Accelerator 0.6
Pedal Bracket

Attachments

• 84766087.gif
    84766087.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 18,509

ISSUE
The accelerator pedal bracket may become loose or separated from the dash panel on some vehicles. This may be caused by repeated excessive force on the accelerator pedal, resulting in cracking of the dash panel sheet metal at the accelerator pedal bracket.

Gotta love it. It's not an engineering problem it's "repeated excessive force on the accelerator pedal"

Its a common theme in most of the TSB's:

The real problem is the Ford Customers. If they wouldn't use the product, then it wouldn't break as often. ;) :D

Dang, I hope I'm not applying my brakes with excessive force. I would hate to hit the brakes only to have my foot go through the dash:D

Just out of curiousity how common of a problem is this? We've got the pedal laying on the floor in the Explorer now.:rolleyes:

I'm gonna go look for :mattmoon: right now. This could be dangerous.

Back