• Register Today It's free!

TSB 99-21-1

diamondjake

Reaction score
City, State
n. ridgeville, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer
This tsb is the one for the "grunting" sound in the steering. I was wondering if anyone has this tsb and could post it. I know i need to perform this tsb to fix my beloved x, but i would rather do it myself than pay somebody. If anyone could post this I would be forever greatful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to see this one. Anybody have access to Alldata?

I have an AllData subscription. I couldn't find the TSB you are asking for. It must not apply to my subscription (97 4.0L OHV, 4wd). There is a TSB 98-21-1 which is for an exhaust noise problem. It calls for reflashing the PCM and adding an exhaust brace to fix a booming noise at certain idle speeds.

also in the tsb is a new revised p/steering pressure hose for the grunting when turning

I think that is the one I just printed out a few weeks back for reference. Now I just have to remember how I got it. I think it was from Chiltons online.

Exhaust System - Boom/Grunt/Groan/Moan/Vibration
Article No.
98-21-1

10/26/98

NOISE - "BOOM/GRUNT/GROAN/MOAN" - DURING IDLE WITH ENGINE HOT OR COLD - 4.0L SOHC VEHICLES

VIBRATION - DURING IDLE WITH ENGINE HOT OR COLD - 4.0L SOHC VEHICLES

LIGHT TRUCK: 1997-99 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include additional Figures, additional symptoms and to include 1999 model year vehicles and Mountaineer.

ISSUE
A vehicle vibration may be present during a hot or cold idle condition and/or an audible "boom/grunt/groan/moan" may be present between 700-800 rpm during a cold engine start and low vehicle speed. This concern may be more noticeable on left turns. This may be caused by exhaust system vibration when the engine firing frequency lines up with a resonant frequency of the exhaust system.

ACTION
Install a Y-brace. The brace limits the vertical bending motion of the exhaust system and reduces the possibility of an objectionable vibration. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the latest calibration. Refer to TSB 98-1-18. (Do not reprogram 1998 vehicles built after 2/14/98.) The new calibrations limit the amount of time the vehicle will spend in the critical rpm range.

2.Neutralize the exhaust system as per the 1998 Explorer Workshop Manual, Page 100-04-29.

3.Install a new pressure Power Steering Hose (F87Z-3A719-JA). Isolate the metal lines on the steering assembly (use rubber hose). Refer to Figures 1 and 2

4.Install the new exhaust brace. The top "Y" portion of brace attaches to two (2) bolts at the bottom of the transmission bellhousing per the following process:

a. Install the Y-Brace (F87Z-5K249-AA) and hand start bolts in transmission bellhousing.

b. Attach to the left catalyst converter brace using a 2" U-bolt (F87Z-5A231-BA). Hand start the U-bolt nuts.

c. Torque transmission bellhousing bolts to 30 N.m (22 lb-ft).

d. Torque the U-bolt nuts to 40 N.m (30 lb-ft).

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F87Z-5K24S-AA Y-Brace
F87Z-5A231-BA U-Bolt
F87Z-3A71S-JA Power Steering Hose

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 98-1-18

SUPERSEDES: 98-15-14

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

982101A Install Service Parts 1.0 Hr.

982101B Reprogram Powertrain 1.5 Hrs.
Control Module (PCM) And
Install Service Parts

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
RECAL 42

OASIS CODES: 403000 608000, 608400, 702300, 703000, 703100

Figure 1

Attachments

• 78093729.gif
    78093729.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 926

Figure 2

Attachments

• 78093730.gif
    78093730.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 841

Thanks DF, I guess that one does not apply to me (5.0). I do have a rare Power Steering groan/grunting , it only does it maybe once a week. I need to check it out a little more. Thanks for the info.

Dog Friend,
Thanks for posting that TSB. That is the exact problem I'm having. Unfortunately it looks like I may have to fight with my extended warranty company to have them fix it. They are also resisting replacing the excluder seal which is also giving me problems.

Thanks again for the information.

Wlkingdude

Back