Getting rid of those orange bulbs?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting rid of those orange bulbs??

I don't like how the top part of the explorer lights or orange. I looked in there and saw the there are actually orange bulbs in there. Can I just go to autozone and buy clear bulbs and replace them? Also I just ordered some silverstars so can I put the silverstars in, and then put my old lights where these orange ones are?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can use clear bulbs. I believe that orange or clear are acceptable to DOT standards. Silverstars come in 3157 also. Check out the Sylvania website. About $20. per pair and you would need 2 pair.

I am the same boat. But I have a 1st Gen.

I just bought the 6 pc. Diamond Cut Headlamp/Turn Signal/Corner Marker lights.

I also ordered the 9004 SilverStars.

I DO NOT WANT to see 'orange' of the 194A bulbs if everything else has a Silver coated glass.

Do they make a 194A bulb with a Silver or Platinum colored glass, yet emits an Amber (aka LEGAL) color when on?

I haven't found one yet.....

Ryan

You can paint them with high-temp silver paint. I was told only amber is DOT approved.

You's gots to have amber on your signals or expect a fat ticket like i did.

I score my "chrome" bulbs from this seller:

http://www.superlumination.com/

He also sells on eBay under a few names. The chrome bulbs look sillverish, but shine amber when powered. They look great under clear corners. I've tried the Silverstars, but don't really care for the blue/multi-color cast (when unlit). They are a bit brighter than the chromes.

I just ordered from that site. Thanks!

I ordered:

2 x Silver-White 3156 (Reverse Lamps, for future Altezza purchase)
2 x Silver-Amber 3157 (Front Turn Signals)
2 x Silver-Amber 194 (Front Corner Lamps)

It came to $22.44 with shipping. Not bad at all, considering the SilverStar 3157's are $20.00.

While these aren't 'SilverStars', they will look very good with the other matching bulbs I will have installed.

Ryan

Greddy X-Plorer said:
You's gots to have amber on your signals or expect a fat ticket like i did.

not in okie! lol, ex g/f's dad is a cop and he approved just clear bulbs w/ no amber housing...

Is it true that you also need an amber reflecter in conjuction with the amber corner lights to be DOT legal?

I swaped out my amber bulbs for clear ones about 3 years ago and have had no problem in Maryland. Dont know if it is illegal or not, or the cops just do not care. Honestly, most people probably do not even notice, but I think it looks alot better.

.......Well I finally got to install the Reverse Lamps into the Altezza Taillights I got for my `92....

They look awesome! The Amber bulbs are still working (I have heard bad things about 'off brand' bulbs) and haven't lost any of the color.

Ryan

As my sig states... I swapped mine out to all white and it makes the X stand out from the other million or so on the road. The top and sides are kind of dim until they flash with the signal, then they are bright. That is the illegal part, white flashing lights. As for the corners they are bright all the time and really stand out.

I chaged the bulbs above headlight to clear and not really happy. If they were brighter it would be great. When just lit they look all faded, but when the turning indicator is blinking and it's at it's brightest it matches the headlight and looks awsome! :thumbsup: I'll probbaly chage back to amber when they burn out :rolleyes: Or I'll make it so the top corner part blinks and top one does not.

You can get bright light for the top turn signal light by adding another light bulb. There isnt enough room to add another bulb on the side.
You need a 1 1/4" hole saw. A NAPA light sockett # LS6445 and a 1156 bulb. Danco O ring #35743B to seal the sockett.
Drill a hole next to the OEM light sockett, making sure there is clearence when you put the houseing back in, install the new bulb & sockett & splice into the parking light wires.

I just took out the 3157's out of the blinker above the headlamps and left the ones on the side in. I then stuck hyper white 194 bulbs in the corners and itlooks a lot cleaner. Looks like the 2000+ explorer sport front ends.

Back