91 X by black91EB | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X by black91EB

I have been a member for a few months on here, and just went elite yesterday, this site has saved me 20 bucks at least so I felt it was well worth it. I have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I have done some minor mods to thus far, and I also completed my first "major" modification yesterday in going to a 1354 Manual case. Found it at a U-Pull-It yard for under $100 including the shifter and boot. In addition I had to change the rear diff cover, something about the stock fiberglass cover not standing up well to a log I had to back over. :(
Anyway, I figured I would start a thread showing what I have done, and add as I make progress, and maybe help some people out in how I did something, and get ideas along the way.
DSCN0676.jpg

Here's what I have now.

DSCN0694.jpg

Manual case really looks good in my truck:D

DSCN0689.jpg

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the shifter that was on the TC when I got it would not clear the transmission shifter. I don't know if they used a different shifter for the manual, since the TC came out of a 91 ex with an automatic. BTW, do NOT try to bend the shifter for clearance, it will break, thus the gorrilla welds. (you know, big strong and ugly)

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0691.jpg

There is the broken diff cover, I have a steel one off an f-series on there now. (good thing about being a parts packrat)
Anyway, thats all I have for now, the next thing will probably be some auxilary lighting front and back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so an update
I love my tires. They are by far the best thing that I have done to this truck.

My 96 ex sport I talked about in the last post, well, trans and t-case are good, its just the minor fact that the trans case adapter is only bolted to the transmission with three out of the six bolts, and of the three that are there, two have backed out half an inch.

Surgery will begin on the 91 later this week, when my plasma cutter arrives. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well, got my first wheeling in 2 months this week. First time out, lost the remnants of my muffler and tailpipe, will be putting the one off the parts truck anyway so no great concern. Tires did great, life was good.

Second time out tonight was a mess. First, my brother, driving the SAS'd f-150 pictured a few posts ago, popped a lockout and dropped his rear driveshaft coming up out of a ditch. So, i attempt to pull him out, only to blow my radiator in the process. (had a feeling it was coming, just wished it hadn't have happened tonight.) So my buddy who was also there in his 81 K10 with 6" lift and 33x12.50s, got my brother's truck far enough out so that it wouldnt get swamped if it rained, and was in the process of towing me back to the house, when he lost his fan belt, which of course, was destroyed when it came off. SO, tu-shu express back to the house, and get to make a parts run tomorrow. Have 3 4x4s stuck in the woods behind the house, in various states of drivablity.

Will try to take pics tomorrow when we go on the great retreival mission. (taking the winch this time, should have tonight but was in a hurry)

Oh, and my front tow point works great, except it makes a great shovel on ditch crossings. Guess I shoulda mounted it a lil further back.

I guess when it rains, it pours! lol I hope the retrieval goes smoothly for you and I will check back for pictures :thumbsup:

I guess when it rains, it pours! lol I hope the retrieval goes smoothly for you and I will check back for pictures

This is very true. Got them all out, Ex is in workshop. Tried a junkyard radiator, it leaks, so that is going back tomorrow, went and bought a brand new one from autozone. The second one worked out, the first one I got from them had the tanks put on backwards, so the fan shroud clips were facing the front of the car. Doesn't work too well like that. (first new part, other than tires and clutch slave cyl. that this truck has had!)

Also found while I had it apart that the idler pully had frozen some time ago, enough that the belt had worn a flat on the pulley. Amazing how much power that sucks, ran like a whole new engine.

Forgot camera, will get pics in morning. Radiator has a very large split in pass. side tank.

Also started on my new console tonight, made out of steel rather than plastic. I keep asking myself why I didn't buy a plasma cutter sooner. Straight, clean cuts=happy welding.I am taking pics of that as it progresses, will upload soon.

well, got some pics, and have gotten some stuff done this week. First off, pics from the other night.

DSCN1144.jpg

There is the radiator damage. Crack runs from the neck to the third rib.

Here is the truck I wheel with, my lil brother's '80 F-150 with a 351M, NP-435, NP-205, 9" with full spool and a d-44 SAS with 37x12.50 IROKs
DSCN1145.jpg

Next, I have been working on my bumper. I started out with this piece of 8x8 .25 inch wall tubing, 15 feet long. I bought it at a local wrecking company for 82 bucks.
DSCN1142.jpg

I have pics of building it, and I'll post them later, but here is the end result. I still have to build the grill guard, that will be done by the end of the week.
DSCN1160.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

dude that bumper is sweet,how much time and money you think that thing cost you?any pic of how that bumper and winch mount up

dude that bumper is sweet,how much time and money you think that thing cost you?any pic of how that bumper and winch mount up
08-24-2009 01:56 PM

not yet, I haven't gotten all the pics taken, but all in all, I spent 94 on the steel including the piece of 6 foot 5x2 angle iron I used for the brackets that you can see in the pic on the trailer (along with the 351W I picked up last week) :D 175 for the used winch, 20 for a spool of welding wire, and 25 bucks for the lights, and 8 bucks for a can of rustoleum spray on bedliner. So it has been a very cost efficient project. I got it done in less than 2 days. Plus we're gonna make a bumper for my brother's truck, so he is going to pay me back for the steel in exchange for my fabrication.

Holy crap, man- that bumper is baller. Can you post up a side shot so we can get an idea of your entry angle?

Holy crap, man- that bumper is baller. Can you post up a side shot so we can get an idea of your entry angle?

couldnt have said it better myself...i just might copy that bumper, but with a few changes. looks nice.

thanks for the complements guys, will post more pictures in the next few days. Should look even better with the brush guard and 2 6" KC lights.

build me one of those bumpers.. lol

Shipping would be ridiculous, that joker is stout, lol. Used your bedliner paint idea there, worked out great. I really like the texture that gives.

For those of you asking about the mounting, the frame rails actually extend into the bumper on the back. The way everything is arranged, the winch sits between the tips of the frame rails for max strength. Brackets are made from 5x2 angle, 1/4" thick, and I used the stock bumper bolts, as those suckers are strong.

Do you have any pics as you were building it? You have any of the inside of the bumper?

yeah, I do have a couple, but I have to wait till I have some sort of high-speed connection to upload them, since I live in a place that cannot get high-speed internet. I was pressed for time the other day, that's why I only uploaded those few. Got more from the switch panel and console i'm fabbing, again, have to get a faster connection.

so an update. The ex has no interior in it, as I took everything out today. The nice interior from the parts car is going in there tomorrow, along with a whole bunch of new wiring. Tomorrow this time my ex should have a Fosgate 8" sub with a 150W JBL amp, reverse lights, my side lights on the bumper wired, wiring set up for my later on-board air system, as well as several extra switches and wiring set up for later use for anything else I want to add. Oh and a CB radio too. Taking pics as I go, expect a whole bunch later on this week or first part of next. Will be nice to have EB leathers again, I've been sitting in a ragged old grey cloth 97 mustang seat for the better part of a year. I'm also swapping the rear windows, hatch and sun roof from the parts car, as well as doing some body work.

Ford used the tophat hubs on the F150 for 87/88.

Yeah, did some more digging and figured that out, any idea why they stopped? Seemed like a good idea to me.

starting point of bumper:
DSCN1151.jpg

Winch cutout finished:
DSCN1152.jpg

Bracket cutouts finished:
DSCN1153.jpg

Trimming started:
DSCN1154.jpg

Trimming, body welding and fog light buckets finished:
DSCN1155.jpg

Install mockup:
08-20-09_2332.jpg

Side pieces welded on, painted:
08-22-09_0052.jpg

Final result:
08-24-09_1924.jpg

Knockoff KC lights installed, with GE 130 watt bulbs:
08-27-09_2156.jpg

Night pic with all lights on:
08-30-09_0034.jpg

Another night pic, this one is with hi beams, fogs, KC's and spotlight on:
08-30-09_2146.jpg

nice man!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back