2005 Explorer 4.0l forced induction? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer 4.0l forced induction?

$ilent$eal

Reaction score
City, State
Everett Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Well besides waiting for an eternity for explorer express to bring to market their replacement kit, is there anyone else out there that has something to fit this motor? I did look at STS as an option but was hoping for a few more solutions. What about vortech or procharger?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Custom bracket for a procharger centrifigul supercharger?

Well besides waiting for an eternity for explorer express to bring to market their replacement kit, is there anyone else out there that has something to fit this motor? I did look at STS as an option but was hoping for a few more solutions. What about vortech or procharger?

Thanks.

here is one:

http://www.bansheesupercharger.com/

he also makes a kit for the 4.0 that uses the m112. I have an m112 that i'd be willing to part with for a good price if you go that route.

This is an interesting topic. Loved the banshee website (except for the bloody music) that might be something for next xmas. How many internal changes would need to be done to run a roots style blower and can the stock tranny/diff handle the extra grunt? Apologies if this is a hijack.

You shouldn't have to change anything inside the motor as long as you keep the boost low (4-5 lbs) If you used water methanol injection you could turn the boost up some (prob no more than 10psi). Main thing either way is that you get a tune.

Despite some of the problems people see with our trannies due to wear issues, they seem to be pretty durable as far as holding power reliably. James Henson had swapped one into his Explorer when it was turboed and it held together while it was in his truck, so I'd say it shouldn't be a problem.

you have to realize a supercharged v6 will make roughly the same power as a modded 4.6L v8, the tranny should hold up fine... mines got 125K race car style miles on her today. Id say you wont have any problems. DO IT!!

Food for thought and a boat load of clams:D:thumbsup:

$1600 bucks without the actual supercharger!!!! Holy cow. Will the throttle-by-wire throttle still mount up?

Custom bracket for a procharger centrifigul supercharger?

I was looking at this model of vortech (4FU218-610L-2005-2006 Mustang V6 4.0L V-3 Si-Trim Standard System) Has anyone successfully installed one using a fabricated bracket?

David..

I ran a vortech (a centrifugal supercharger) on my old explorer (1991) 4.0 OHV. The OHV is not as much of a high RPM motor as the SOHC , so take this for what its worth:

I can tell you that while it was great under boost, I didn't get into any significant boost unless I really got on the throttle (floored it) and got over 4000RPM. Normal driving (part to mid throttle) would never get me into boost. I would think that an M90 (positive displacement supercharger) setup would be better for these heavy trucks since max boost comes up sooner in the RPM range and you would then get the power and torque starting lower in the RPM range...a heavy truck such as ours would really benefit from power and torque lower in the RPM range.

On the other hand, if your driving style or intended use for your truck is more of a street/strip application where wide open throttle situations are very common, you might like the vortech since it gives you all that power up top.

All I can say is that the vortech, while a good unit, was kind of like driving a turbo car with a huge amount of lag. Didn't see boost from 0-3000 RPM but when the boost came in it was very noticeable.

I ran a vortech (a centrifugal supercharger) on my old explorer (1991) 4.0 OHV. The OHV is not as much of a high RPM motor as the SOHC , so take this for what its worth:

I can tell you that while it was great under boost, I didn't get into any significant boost unless I really got on the throttle (floored it) and got over 4000RPM. Normal driving (part to mid throttle) would never get me into boost. I would think that an M90 (positive displacement supercharger) setup would be better for these heavy trucks since max boost comes up sooner in the RPM range and you would then get the power and torque starting lower in the RPM range...a heavy truck such as ours would really benefit from power and torque lower in the RPM range.

On the other hand, if your driving style or intended use for your truck is more of a street/strip application where wide open throttle situations are very common, you might like the vortech since it gives you all that power up top.

All I can say is that the vortech, while a good unit, was kind of like driving a turbo car with a huge amount of lag. Didn't see boost from 0-3000 RPM but when the boost came in it was very noticeable.

Can you tell me how you got the vortech installed? Any pictures of it? I was talking with an installer and they were curious as to what fabricating needs to be done?

David..

It was a kit made specifically for the Explorer so it had all the brackets and tubing. They stopped making it after a while. I ended up doing some custom work to reduce the amount of tubing and bends and I bought a custom upper intake to enable me to do it.

16158CIMG00041.jpg

16158CIMG00031.jpg

16158CIMG00021.jpg

16158CIMG00011.jpg

Only way to tell how much fabrication would be needed would be to buy just the head unit you want to run and figure how to run the brackets and tubing. The manual for the Vortech kit I ran is still on the Vortech website so you can download that to see how all the brackets worked.

Save the $3,000+ you are going to spend on a s/c and just buy a v8. Trust me doing custom work on a truck like the Explorer is not worth all the headaches you are going to have to deal with, especially when the performance you are going to get is going to be about what a V8 already has with stock reliability.

Thanks Ronin, nice pics.

I found an V3-Si satin kit for $3300 at superchargersonline.com.

Do all the kits come with a head unit or just the centri-power unit?

David..

not sure what a centri-power unit is. But yeah a kit generally comes with the supercharger (head unit) itself.

I was confused, lol. What I meant to say was do the kits come with the fancy manifold cover like the one in your pictures?

David..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After having spent a few hours with my installer we decided to go with the banshee supercharger @ bansheesupercharger.com. We then found a place that sells refurbished m90's for $800 (rebuilt from the ground up and with warrenty). Basically the guys said the same thing you did, 'positive displacement is much better for a truck my size'.

The whole thing including labor (and gauge install etc etc) is going to be $5100, and instead of my truck being out of action for over a week while they tried to figure out the fabrication process, and relocating the steering pump, and coil pack. This set up should have me back on the road in a few days. Its pretty funny how this whole thing has come full circle since I really wanted the x-charger from the very beginning over a year ago! :rolleyes:

David..

Back