Calling On Monmix...Do you have an opinion on Langka? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling On Monmix...Do you have an opinion on Langka?

Hey Monmix...When it comes to body work, I consider you the forum expert. Just wondering if you ever heard of this stuff:

http://www.langka.com/

I've got a few small scratches on different parts (doors, tailgate, hood, etc) and I'm looking for a cheap and easy fix when the weather warms up. I tried buffing them but it didn't work. I can get my finger nail into most of them so i know stronger measures are required. This Langka stuff may be the ticket provided it's not snake oil.

Have you ever heard of this and do you think it's worth a shot?

Appreciate you thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

couldnt get the page to load twice now.
I'll try again later.

I never heard of the stuff.
If your fingernail grabs it, it would need to be painted for the best results
Maybe this stuff works I have no clue till I can look at it, but the physics at play here say if perfection is your desired result, then paint it.
Touch up however fits well into your " cheap easy " request.
Repainting does not.

Thanks Monmix:

The page loads right up for me...don't know why you're have trouble.

Anyway here's the deal....I have touch up paint pens from paintscratch.com (black original color and clear coat). Langka claims there stuff works with paint to help fill in scratches and chips (I have a few of them to). They claim you just blob paint on over your scratch or chip, let it dry a little and apply langka and smooth out the blob with a small squeegie. Apparently langka doesn't harm the still good oem paint that surrounds the scratch...the web site explains it much better if you can get it to load.

I really don't have that steady of a hand for this type of detail work. I figure if langka does what it claims, I can blob it on and wipe it off without harming the rest of my paint in the area of the scratch.

Now, for all I know it just might be paint thinner in disguise or something. That's why I thought it was wise to run it by you before I give it a shot.

Lee

It sounds to me, from your description that it is some kind of filler. It makes sence in concept.
I have no worth wile advice to give you. Sounds like it might be okay.

If you do try it please report the results.

I have never seen were any of those color type fillers really work.
Most of those type of things makes your paint job look ok from a distance but I can't see how it could fill a chip and stay in there. This is just my .02 and like MONMIX I have never used this brand of stuff before.

The thing is the langka web site doesn't really describe it has a filler. The way I'm reading it is that you first blob your own touch up paint over the scratch or chip and let it dry a bit (I believe they say you can let it dry for a few days if you want). You then use langka and a small squeegie to smooth the blob.... in effect using your own touch up paint as the filler.

This doesn't sound like a colored filler product to me although there's a still a good chance it's a waste of money. I'm still undecided...I may consider giving it a try once I get the time set aside to do the fix. Either way I'm gonna use my base and clear coat color pens from paintscratch.com. It's just a matter of whether I put on several coats with the paint pen to build up the scratches or blob and langka it instead.

Lee

This thing has been discussed in great detail on autopia.org, as well as NASIOC, because Subaru paint is incredibly crappy. (The STi is not yet a year old and I have filled tons of chips). Anyway, it is highly recommended and works well (from what I have seen/read). I have never used it myself, and prefer to instead follow this process which has worked well for me. Although I learned that using a toothpick to fill the chips does not work well, and instead use a pin. Others suggest using a claybar to remove excess paint from repairs, but I don't have any experience with that.

Thanks for the reply B94Sport. I should have thought to look on autopia :banghead: I just read the process you linked as well. The good news is my X is black so I should have no problem with the color match. The bad news is I have several areas of scratches (caused by the previous owner) and not a real lot of patience for this kind of detail work. Actually the sanding part scares the heck out of me which is why I was looking for feedback on langka....it seems like it's designed to take the place of sanding :thumbsup: . I'll do a little more research at autopia etc. Thanks for chiming in and pointing me in the right direction.

Lee

Yeah, the first time I wetsanded, I looked at the marks it left on my hood (before buffing and polishing) and thought, "Oh crap, I just ruined that." But 3M rubbing compound and finish restorer are some amazing products! :)

Back