'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l

...I've been known to overlook the obvious, easy solution, due to the little voices in my head...:shifty_ey ...:D

That's why I have drugs to keep them shut up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...This week I had more time than money so I bought a wheel cylinder kit for a 94 X to stop the river poring out of the pass rear wheel...The parts were close but different so it was a waste of time but it did almost stop the leak...:rolleyes:

..AZ PN# 66820...

...I reaaly don't want to spend $100 inparts to make the rear brakes like new when I can spend that money on a 97-01 rear disc upgrade..Now comes the question that's been running thru my head and I can use some advice on this...

...Would it be beneficial to do the rear disc upgrade since I have the Detroit and no toner ring for the ABS???

...The only benefit I can see so far would be no sticky drums when I'm up in the snow...But will there be any other benefits since the ABS doesn't work?

...I also acquired a sort of starting problem this week and I'm betting it has to do with the deep water I played in a couple years ago that has had me swapping corroded electrical harness's since then...

...I will update this in the future but I have good ends on the battery and would have new cables except the 95's are a rare bird on these, for example...The cheapest price one of our Vendors has is about $153 for the pos cable while another vendor had sent me a wrong one in the box...Ford wanted $269 for the cable but they are obsolete...This cable has the connection for both sides of the starter solenoid on it...

...On another note, since this is the anniversary of my Ranger on this Forum, I took and spent 15 minutes washing it...I have pressure washed it 3 times since it's last bath which was right before CCR '08...

...Other than the pin striping and a few dings, I think she cleans up purtty..:biggthump
washed1.jpg

wash2.jpg

How are you going to fix that tail light? Won't you get a ticket driving around like that?

As for disc brakes, it is a very worthwhile upgrade - the truck will stop quicker! Worth every penny (I'm about to convert my '06 to discs.)

Ford Racing sells a kit with most of the parts to do the conversion - it only fits 31-spline axles. Look on Ranger-Forums, in the How-To section, and there is an article about converting 28-spline axles to disc.

Why don't you have a tone-ring? Not that my ABS ever goes off...

...Sorry I took so long to respond...:confused:

...I'm not 100% on why the tone ring was removed but I think it takes some modifying with the Detroit..I just need to pull the bulb...

...The tail light will get fixed but the offer I made you is still good...:p:

...As of today I officially am a first time owner of an Optima battery...I got a killer deal on a good refurbed one for $60 bucks...I now just need to find an over the top holder or I will be fabricating one when I get a chance...:(

is it my imagination or does your truck need an alignment? (refering to the washpics)

but at any rate i saw this guy in Utah the other day and at first glance thought it was you :p:

IMG00077-20100307-1200.jpg

truck was a 95% dead ringer for yours, single cab, short bed, Camper Shell, same wheels, Painted flares BLACK Paint clear lenses in the front.

but this one still had the full bumper in the front and bull bar on it

oh yea had Cali plates too :dunno:

...I'm not 100% on why the tone ring was removed but I think it takes some modifying with the Detroit..

IIRC, the tone ring just presses onto the differential. I wouldn't think a Detroit is any different than a Torsen...

...As of today I officially am a first time owner of an Optima battery...I got a killer deal on a good refurbed one for $60 bucks...I now just need to find an over the top holder or I will be fabricating one when I get a chance...:(

I have seen some nice battery mount/holders on eBay. 2-piece units, that clamp around the entire battery. Another upgrade I am planning on...

...I'm not 100% on why the tone ring was removed but I think it takes some modifying with the Detroit..I just need to pull the bulb...
No tone ring was installed because I never had one for that 8.8", and I don't think the ring I had for the original 7.5" would've fit. That and the RABS on my '90 never worked right to begin with.

...I'm good as I knew the axle did not have a tone ring before I even bought it...;)

...I went to a couple huge ricer shops out here today figuring they surely would have a billet or decent racing over the top only hold down for an Optima 34/78 redtop, but no luck...:thumbdwn:

nice lil wagon =]

...I went to a couple huge ricer shops out here today figuring they surely would have a billet or decent racing over the top only hold down for an Optima 34/78 redtop, but no luck...:thumbdwn:

Something like this:
sum-430015.jpg

...I would be more than happy if I could find just the top piece of the Arizona one and bolts to the stock battery tray..

I've got the optima to stock hold down adapter you can have.

Here's one for a little less money.

Optima Battery Hold-Down

He used to make them without the spider thing cut in the top bracket. When I order one, I am going to request no spider (I guess I'm not 16 anymore...)

...I appreciate the offer of their stock hold down but after my accident and seeing how the bottom holder failed, I am set on a top hold down and plan on this mod for all my future trucks...

...The X's battery popped out and the negative post was a mere fraction away from shorting out on the starter solenoid...:eek:

...I have seen the hold down you posted online for $110-$150....I really like that set up as I plan to use the GM post for accessories power and would be concerned with the ones I posted scarfing a wire...:dunno:...Just a little to expensive for me...

...Now if you have one of those just laying around for cheap, I can be down there ASAP and I'll even buy the taco's around the corner...:salute:

...Scott, that's the cheapest one I've seen yet...:biggthump...You would think that So Cal would sell these all over the place...:rolleyes:

Edit: I just saw that Ballistic has one for $39 bucks but I wonder if the bottom tabs will fit in the stock tray...:scratch:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-3478-Optima-Battery-Box_p_1624.html
thumbnail.asp

Ruffstuff has one for the same price:
normal_Battery%20box%202.jpg

Anymore I'd say don't order from Ballistic, unless you have 3-4 weeks to wait on them.

....Thanks for the heads up and I like that box as the fasteners for the top bracket are out of the way of the front cables and are located up top...

...and here is their link as they say they will be adding more styles...
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com....html?osCsid=a118aef38763670310f81cf6f4d4c8a8

...It is definitely looking more affordable and with choices so I won't have to be rockin the new bungie cord mod for long...:rolleyes:

...Thanks for the help Gentlemen...:salute:

I like the RuffStuff piece - and the price. If you get this one, let me know how you like it.

Just need to figure out what color to powder coat it...

...I'll let you know what I wind up with, possibly a group buy??

...Rattlecan FTW...:biggthump

...I'll let you know what I wind up with, possibly a group buy??

Not for me. I'm already rocking this one from them:
normal_Dual%20box%20w%20batteries%202.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back