Test Drivers Wanted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test Drivers Wanted

Allbert

Reaction score
Anyone wishing to participate in the vehicle testing of a new EPC for the 5R55E transmission, please send an e-mail with “5R55E Fleet Test” as the subject and with the following information to Cwashington@valleytoolinc.com :

1. Name.
2. City and State of residence.
3. Vehicle type (year, make, model).
4. Vehicle mileage.
5. Driving type (estimated percents off road, towing/hauling, highway, city).

There is a $100 incentive to participate in this study.

Vehicles with 4R44E, 4R55E, and 5R44E transmissions are also eligible.

This is the study that was originally mentioned in "A modest proposal..." by Glacier, but given the age and length of that thread, it was suggested that a new thread be started so everyone would know that the process is finally underway.

So far, we have 7 participants. We are shooting for 15 vehicles total. Our fleet test coordinator will be sending the first 7 partipants an e-mail confirming their acceptance and with our survey form attached. We plan to have EPCs ready to ship by Wednesday the 7th.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already replied, but I am subscribing and bumping this thread :thumbsup:

Bump....

i would like to be part of this

EDIT: email sent

Allbert -- for those users who have not read the other thread, can you please briefly outline the problem(s) this new EPC aims to resolve?

EDIT -- well on second thought, I'll just quote Glacier's first post :D

Ok... I'm doing a little searching here. For those of you with 5R55E transmissions who either need to or are thinking about replacing the EPC solenoid due to 2-3 shift flare or other potential EPC related issues.... let me float an idea past you....

The current model EPC solenoid is made by Bosch. It apparently, as we all know, has a little problem in that it seems to need replacement more often than other solenoids... sometimes as soon as 60,000 miles or so. (Though usually longer). As was described in the thread about the 2-3 flare, the design of this solenoid makes it terribly unforgiving of any contamination.

Now... just for grins... let's suppose that a major manufacturer had worked up an alternative design of the EPC solenoid.... one possibly more resistant to failure and forgiving of contaminants.

Ok a fair Q here - why not have FORD test it? Well... think a minute, think FORD and BOSCH might already have a long term deal? WHY would they want to help? So, now what can the Mfgr do?

Well, let's suppose that same manufacturer wanted to find an independent test group to utilize their design... probably fill out some periodic questionairres, and in effect provide a "test-bed fleet".... in exchange for providing a solenoid for little or no cost?

Psst... THAT's US!

How many would be interested in providing a platform for such a test?

For now just reply here. As this thing possibly firms up should the numbers be of interest to the company, we can get more specifics, probably directly from them.

Fire away guys. I know I want one! (actually I have several VB's I could apply them to, but the discussion here is one per vehicle driven.

does trans milage matter? I'm on my second trans, after the first one disinegraded 2nd or 3rd gear(can't remember which now:rolleyes:) trans #2 is only about 30-35k miles on it and already acts weird sometimes:rolleyes:

does it matter if i have never had a 2-3 flare? maybe i have had it and jsut do not know what it means

I told them my mileage on the original trans in the 96 and am particpating in this program. my trans has 138k on it. Only thing ever done to it present owners have done was change fluid and filter.

my 96 has the green epc

If anyone receives a response from them, please post that here. I had replaced my EPC 14,000 miles ago, and I don't have any current symptoms. I wonder what their criteria is to selecting volunteers?

I got picked, probably because I have around 160k on the tranny.

Speaking of that, how hard will it be to switch in the new solenoid?

Speaking of that, how hard will it be to switch in the new solenoid?

you just drop the pan, take out a bolt, and its retaining clip comes off, from there, you just grab it and wiggle it out after disconnecting the wiring harness, it jsut slides off

this is the response I got from them, i replied with all necessary info and stuff like what miles were on the tranny and what terrains/weather conditions I drove in and stuff like how heavy loads I tow with it, and then they asked for my mailing address and gave me a survey to fill out after I get it installed and a form saying their not reliable for damages and all that that I need to sign and send to e-mail/fax them

Glen,
I am the test coordinator for this project. We are producing an aftermarket
EPC solenoid and are looking for individuals interested in participating in
the test group. We are paying $100.00 in appreciation for anyone who chooses
to participate and sends back information on our product. If interested
please advise the following and we can determine if you auto and location
would be a good test area.

Make
Model
Mileage
Location of vehicle state Or province
Breakdown of driving conditions
City,highway,towing,off road

I believe the solenoid will come with instructions on how to install it.

One of the questions in the survey chosen participants are required to fill out is "Ease of installation".

i snet an email earleir and haven't gotten a response, hopefully i will

Charlie,

Thanks for participating in our test group. I expect to ship next week. I will be shipping via UPS. I will need a good shipping address. Please fill out the waiver and send back. I will ship the part and notify you the date of shipment. Once the solenoid is installed return the survey filling in items 1-17. I will process the $100.00 Payment within 30 days of receipt of survey. We would contact you periodically to get your response over the next year as to the performance of the product.

That is the response I got. Filled out the waiver form. Whats better than this though? I was starting to get the rough 2-3 shift, and had to do it anyway. Now I get it for free and get paid! Glad I saw this :)

i pulled my epc to see what color it was, it wasnt terribly hard just needed some prying, that sucker was in there good, i was very careful and not too forceful though knowing i would have to reuse my epc and knowing the innards were probably alloy

if you havent done so yet, get yourself an inch pound torque wrench

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My other response was very similar to Charlie's

Glen,
Thanks for being willing to participate. I will be shipping the parts next
week via UPS. I will need to know a good shipping address. I have attached
some forms to be filled out. Please return the liability waiver. Once you
receive the part fill out the survey lines 1-17 and return back. We will
process the survey for the 100.00 payment within 30 days of receipt of the
survey. We would be in contact over the next 12 month's for your feed back
regarding the performance of the solenoid.
Thanks
cayce

Back