A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Any updates yet??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gotta bring this back to life! any word?

I'm hanging in there too! Lost my job and can't afford a major rebuild like all of the trans shops say I need. If driven moderately, my trans will shift fine except for the 2-3. What's the latest??

Let off the gas just before the actual shift, regards.

Let off the gas just before the actual shift, regards.

EXACTLY ! Just wish the other drivers in the house would follow the instructions!

I'm hanging in there too! Lost my job and can't afford a major rebuild like all of the trans shops say I need. If driven moderately, my trans will shift fine except for the 2-3. What's the latest??

I'm in the same boat. I'm a subprime mortgage layoff victim. :(

I was just thinking about this too when we were driving around (wife was driving, hence the Explorer instead of my 78 VW Bus) and the problem kept hitting her. She, of course, blamed me being in the truck.

Sigh.

Guys I regret to inform you that the company decided to use a corporate test coordinator with his own fleet and we were left behind. I am sorry this didn't work out. I tried.

Too Bad. I was thinking that this might be the case after not hearing anything for so long.

I don't think this was all for nothing; we learned some valuable info about the EPC solenoid - mainly that it is susceptible to particle contamination. So if you replace the original EPC with another Ford OEM one, it would be a good idea to add an external filter to remove particle contamination.

Ask the company if they would send us the test reports to post on our website when they are finished. Will aftermarket companies start to manufacture this new design or will it only be available through a Ford dealer?

This will ultimately be an aftermarket product made by Borg Warner. Bosch makes the original design for FORD OEM.

I just wanted to thank Chris for trying to get this part for us.

Hopefully BW will decide to market this part, knowing (from the discussion here) that there is a desire from Explorer owners for an upgraded part.

I think in the meantime, if you are having problems with the EPC you will still need to use the Ford part, but you can potentially extend its life by adding an external filter.

Thanks for trying!

Looks like its too late to help my trans anyway. It makes a nice loud, high pitched squeal when there's any pressure on the throttle. It also slips really badly now in every gear. Acts like it has a high stall torque convertor. Goes right to 3k when you press the gas pedal and pretty much stays near there through every gear at light throttle. Feels like a CVT in traffic. When floored, it goes straight to 4500 and stays there until the speed catches up with where the engine rpm should normally match, then starts climbing from there. Gas mileage is terrible.

This trans has been a huge PITA since I got the truck. No more rebuilds for it. I'm replacing the trans and torque convertor as soon as it dies or sooner if I have the time. Hopefully the new part will be available by the time I get a new trans. I'm planning on upgrading the valve body/trans cooler/remote filter/anything else I can think of too.

Glacier,
Thanks for putting in all the effort on this project. Although it would have been awesome to be a part of this test, we now have the inside track on this item when it becomes available. I hope they will keep you in the "know" on the status of thier testing.

You have certainly spent a lot of time on this, and again I just want to say thanks for informing us and trying to get us involved in a great deal.
Regards,
Rusty...

Maybe they would offer everyone on this site a discount as an alternative?

I like the way you think :thumbsup:

maybe we could offer them a bulk purchase deal for a super discount

Hello again. We are back.

I apologize for the long delay, but there have been some significant organizational changes within our company since the last time we posted here. To make a long story short, however, there is still a need for fleet test participants. Glacier is correct, we (BorgWarner) will be working with another company to coordinate this effort, but the crowd of folks on this forum is still the preferred crew for the testing.

To add some substance to the above apology, we are also now offering $100 to each selected participant.

To sign up, please send an e-mail with “5R55E Fleet Test” as the subject and with the following information to Cwashington@valleytoolinc.com :

1. Name.
2. City and State of residence.
3. Vehicle type (year, make, model).
4. Vehicle mileage.
5. Driving type (estimated percents off road, towing/hauling, highway, city).

The fleet test coordinator will notify selected participants and make arrangements to distribute the EPC solenoids as well as the electronic questionnaire for your feedback.

Thanks again for your participation (and patience).

Interesting, I wonder how soon they might pull the trigger? I'm going back into my trans very shortly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will you have both the green & red EPC solenoids for testing? Is it possible to get both or is there a limit on the amount of vehicles one person could test? What about the solenoids integrated into a solenoid block? Would you have blocks for testing?

Back