New 33x12.5 BFGs on DC-1 wheels on my 03 Sport!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 33x12.5 BFGs on DC-1 wheels on my 03 Sport!!!!

So i FINALLY was able to afford new wheels/tires/toys for my X and picked up my new wheel and tire combo from 4 wheel parts in Denver yesterday. After lots of reading (pretty much since I bought this in March 2005) and drooling over sweet setups I finally decided on my own. Splurged on 33x12.5 on 15x8 Dick Cepek DC-1's and have a body lift on the way. I've had some warrior shackles sitting here for a long time ready to go on...

Anyway, I have a screw in my front tire and after work today was bored so I thought I would just throw the new wheels on to see how they looked, not expecting them to fit but just to get a visual. The wheel wells are so big on this sport, and they actually ended up fitting!!! Not ideal obviously and will be much better when the body lift is on, but I was super surprised. The rear wheels are plenty of room... and the front is the only problem. Rubs when they wheels are turned fully, but that's it! Turning street corners are fine. I couldn't believe they'd fit on there. Looks like I'll just be leaving them on. Oh, and they look sweet as hell. A torsion twist would probably do the trick....

I'll post some pics in a bit... just wanted to share my news :D

-jenni

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah c'mon the audience is waiting :D

pics

ok, i just took some pics... i was driving it around to make sure all is well, seems ok except for the rubbing if i turn too far. took it on the highway, there wasn't any problems getting up to speed. i was kind of worried it was going to be really sluggish after. i'm also dumb and realized that i probably was supposed to put the center caps on before i put the wheels on, not after??? i've only dealt with wheels that had hubcaps before, or my stock explorer wheels where the cap pops off. it doesn't seem like it goes on after... oh well, hopefully it won't be a big deal for the time being with them off. i'm tired right now :p:

the truck is super dirty, it snowed here a couple days ago and then gets up to the 40s and turns to slush ;-)

The pics suck, i'll put up some better ones when it is day

n14811518_37671869_790.jpg

n14811518_37671870_1088.jpg

n14811518_37671872_6611.jpg

And here it is in November...moving the rest of my stuff out here to CO. Stupid Uhaul people... this is like a blackmail pic, we told the dumb lady it was an Expedition :exp:

n14811518_37671858_3500.jpg

Lookin good!

thanks guys... i was just pumped to get these under there. i'm impatient and waiting for the body lift was just cruel when these pretty wheels were in my garage :)

well my snowboarding season is over, i took a digger about a month ago and jacked my shoulder... i have surgery next thursday to fix all the torn ligaments and such. i might as well take those board racks off for now!

It won't be long and the dc-1's will be as common as black steelies, not that there's anything wrong with that, they are some really nice looking rims. Now post some pics, we all want to see them.

no kidding!! these are everywhere out here... i saw two jeeps just today with them, it's nuts! they are real sharp though, look good on black trucks if i do say so myself ;-) one of the jeeps today was yellow and that looked sweet too.

looks awesome!

Did you have any problems fitting the 15" rim? I am shoping for new rims and tires and always thought that I would have to use 16" rims.

Did you have any problems fitting the 15" rim? I am shoping for new rims and tires and always thought that I would have to use 16" rims.

i was worried about that too... so i called 4 wheel parts and they told me just to bring it down and they would test the rim. it clears the rotors ok, comes really close to some stuff in the front toward the bottom, but this particular one fits fine. the guy was telling me they tested one on another explorer and it didn't even come close to fitting. i guess it just all depends, but for a 01+ sport and these, you are good to go!!! he actually accidentally mounted my tires on the chrome ones, and those fit too :confused:

so now that it's light outside i'm trying to figure out these center caps... i thought they screwed on or just popped on somehow, but they seem to be just a touch bigger than the open circle. does anybody know about this? do i just kind of bend them in, or are they supposed to come through the inside of the wheel before the wheel is put on? any ideas? i'm probably just an idiot...

not sure if this helps... maybe somebody has the wheel that knows?

n14811518_37674112_7320.jpg

I doubt you'd want to sell those warriors, huh?

I would be doing this to my '01 sport in a heartbeat if i didn't have to re-gear afterward. are you running with 4.10s or 3.73s?

It's very likely the center caps need to go on behind the wheel and come through. If there's no obvious way to put them on, you're likely not an idiot :)

haha thanks.. yeah i figured they needed to come through... i got a little carried away when i tested them on there and saw they fit, and decided just to change them all out :) now i don't feel like taking them off again right now. i need new brake pads anyway so i'll just wait i think...

i have the 3.73, and it doesn't seem to bad yet. i will probably want to re-gear eventually, but it works for now. makes the X look soooo much better, so i guess it's worth it.

as for the shackles, if i don't need them after the body lift, i'd be down to sell them. i was just looking at the stock ones, and they come awfully close to the hitch. i got them before i moved out here to CO, i'll have to track them down anyway :) i might need the extra room, even with the add a leafs the back is still a bit lower.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey... nice looking wheels... good choice...

here's the pic of my rig with those same rims... and some trxsus tires

DSC00235.jpg

Back