TT!!!!! vs torsion key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TT!!!!! vs torsion key

jlyons85

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can find a torsion key for my 2002 ford explorer sport trac???? I cant find them anywhere. Also if I get the torsion keys what should be the most I should lift it? I heard if it's over 2" it can cause damage. Also should I do warrior shackles for the back? Or will the torsion keys make it look level? THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about torsion keys or the adjustment bolts?

Are you 4x4 or 2wd?

What do torsion keys do? I read that they were unnecessary and you just crank the bolts with a ratchet?

Torsion keys can be found at Truxxx.com.

CMOS

the labor is insane. they will charge me about 500-700 bucks, and i cant do it myself
When I did mine, it was just me and my little wife at the time. I took my time doing it on a weekend.

I don't like the idea of cranking the torsion bars 3" even with different keys. It puts more angle on the halfshafts and CV joints. Also know that Rangers are sprung-over in the back and Explorers and Sport Tracs are sprung under...so a rear add-a-leaf will not get you as much lift in a Trac as it would a Ranger. I've never tried both (I did shackles only), but I'd say you'll still need extended rear shackles in addition to the add-a-leafs.

A body lift is about the same money or less although labor to install would be more, but if you want a 3" lift I advise that route instead and you can fit 32's or 33's.

Does anyone know what the difference is between a torsion twist and putting in a torsion key. I figure I could do the TT myself, or i could buy a torsion key and have someone do it for me for 150 bucks. What should I do?

Do the TT. The torsion keys I have seen will raise the front 3". This is fine if you have a 2WD but 2" is all you want for a 4WD.

Do the TT. The torsion keys I have seen will raise the front 3". This is fine if you have a 2WD but 2" is all you want for a 4WD.

And Whys that? Don't I want 3"? and can't TT be really bad for the cv joints?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And Whys that? Don't I want 3"? and can't TT be really bad for the cv joints?

From what the "experts" say 2" torsion lift is the most you can do and avoid your cv joint wearing out early. So that is why I said not to get the new keys onless you have a 2WD. Either way a TT or new keys will increase the angle of the cv joints.

Back