KOER Test Results, am I doing something wrong? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KOER Test Results, am I doing something wrong?

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
I did the KOEO Test and got all ones
Here are my KOER Results

Am I not reving the engine up enough? I am getting it into the redline and fully flooring it as far as I can tell.

This is frusterating as all hell. I am hoping to figure out what is wrong with my gas mileage and I do not seem to be getting the hang of computer diagnostics on this car. Any tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you revving the engine after the "goose" code? If I remember right from when I did this test there will be the engine ID which in the case of the V6 will be 3 flashes then a pause then the "goose" code which is just a single flash. You said that you are getting it into the redline and flooring it, I would say try a little less gas, that may be too much. When I did this test, after the "goose" signal I quickly depressed the throttle about halfway and then released it. Also, I'm assuming you are doing this without a scanner, right?

Also for anyone viewing the thread, code 412=Cannot control rpm during KOER high RPM check and code 538=Insufficient RPM change during KOER dynamic response test/ Operator error

In addition to what James909 mentions, I would add that there is a significant delay between engine id and the "goose" code. If you were to goose before the goose code, you would get both of those codes: the KOER 412 because you interfered with the engine speed while the computer was trying to control it, and the KOER 538 because the computer didn't see the "goose" after the trigger.

I would also say you are going above and beyond the call of duty on that goose. I don't think my gooses are ever long enough to carry the engine above 3k RPM. I just push the throttle in and out.

I AM USING AN ACTRON SCANNER- if this makes a difference at all.

I think I may have been goosing before the goose signal =-)

Ok, this is my next attempt
Hook up scanner
Start Truck and wait for three blinks
Hit brakes and wait for goose code which is a single blink
Rev engine quickly and not too hard- based on what you guys say I was giving way too much gas.
Then I should get the codes right?

That's the basic sequence of events. From my experience, it can take anywhere from ~20 sec to ~2 minutes after engine id before it will give the goose code. Be patient if needed. If you haven't yet, you might review my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes thread and see if there's any information in there to help.

Code 538

I was having a hell of a time with code 538 (Insufficient RPM Change) during the KOER test.

Thanks to this post I got a pass code. The blinking check engine light thing is key.

My scan tool was telling me “quickly press the gas” before the single light flash sequence. What a cluster. I was gassing my vehicle like crazy trying to achieve “sufficient RPM change”.

Thanks again.

Back