Some Damage

rkalb

ElecExplorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nevada City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD,1996 XLT 4x4
Here is my explorer after i STUPIDLY thought after blowing a hole in my axle that i could just take it and drive it straight on the hubs!.... WRONG and here is the result

It Was rubbing straight on the rotors as the caliper mounts were the only thing holding the wheel to the knuckle. The caliper mount snapped and i drove on the knuckle for about 100ft before coming to rest in the dirt.
IT Took 3 new hubs to get it home cause they kept braking off.

Eventually i got the last hub to stay on by putting the half-shaft in and using some wire to hold it where the AXLE would go. It would have been bad if the axle fell off the wire but i got it home

Attachments

• SNC00266 (Medium).jpg
    SNC00266 (Medium).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 801
  • SNC00267 (Medium).jpg
    SNC00267 (Medium).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 752
  • SNC00269 (Medium).jpg
    SNC00269 (Medium).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 755
  • SNC00270 (Medium).jpg
    SNC00270 (Medium).jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 851

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is going to happen considering when you remove the cv joint there is nothing to support the bearing from coming apart. The cv joint holds the bearing together. Sorry to hear about your truck getting ####ed up but it is kind your own fault.

ooops.
You can cut the cv's into a stub if you absolutely need to. Just disassemble them and use the outer part --
Techieman33 knows how to do this. You might send him a pm.

This actually happened a while ago i just finally had a chance to post the PICS. I realize that it was COMPLETELY my fault but when i asked around town nobody could give me a straight answer about if i could drive straight on the hubs or not. Apparently not. But hey it was a learning experience and now i can change the HUBS REALLY FAST.

Yea if you would have read on here.. The CV axles atleast the outer part are crucical for holding the hub bearing to the spindle assembly. Your lucky you didn't hit anyone. Just cut a half shaft in half or enough that you have the shaft end sticking out for the 1.25" nut for the cv axle. Dasfrem lost a 35" somewhere in NY.. From what I heard his tire actually ran over some people's cars..

I had a hub assembly seize to the spindle on my old 97.. It was a fun ride when it occured. lol

Back