Help! Having issue with possible wiring maybe?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Having issue with possible wiring maybe??

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
Hey I'm having an issue on my 2002 limited, first of all my puddle lights only work every now and then, seems like sometimes if I door slams a little hard they work, anyone having this issue??
Next issue that just started this last week is, my buttons to out my windows down stop working and to get it to work I have to open and close te door how ever many times to get it to work again, and first I thought maybe the switch but once my drivers door switch stops working all the doors switchs stop until I do the open and close the door thing to get it back?? Like what the hec could that be lol I love my EX but she does creepy stuff lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help! Can't figure out what heck is wrong!!

Hey I'm having an issue on my 2002 limited, first of all my puddle lights only work every now and then, seems like sometimes if I door slams a little hard they work, anyone having this issue??
Next issue that just started this last week is, my buttons to out my windows down stop working and to get it to work I have to open and close te door how ever many times to get it to work again, and first I thought maybe the switch but once my drivers door switch stops working all the doors switchs stop until I do the open and close the door thing to get it back?? Like what the hec could that be lol I love my EX but she does creepy stuff lol

Not 100% sure, but is definalty seems like a grounding issues. Take off your door panel. Pop off the plastic peice behind your door handle FIRST. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS FIRST OR YOU WILL BREAK A CLIP! Then take off the plastic panel with the window/lock controls. This just lifts up and is held on by a few clips. Disconnect the three wiring harness. Now the door is only held on by a few bolts on the bottom of the door panel. Unscrew those, take off the door panel. Inspect all the wires, make sure they are not damaged. I don't really know how to check if the wires are being grounded properly, but I know most people who's switches are not working is because the wire isn't being grounded. I'm sure if you search here you will see exactly where the wire will be grounded. I would also recommend using a circuit tester to check that power is being sent to those switches. If it isn't then bingo, you found your problems. If you need anything else let me know. I hope this helps you out.

I did a quick search for you. THIS post should help you out. He gave a very good description of things.

Sounds like wiring harness in the driver's door. Remove the door panel and pop the boot between the door and door jam and start looking for broken wire.

I agree with Fordy55 that it could be a grounding issue. Possibly a broken wire in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I had a bunch of electrical issues including the driver's door puddle light not working. I assumed it was a burned out bulb. When I fixed a broken ground wire in the boot it also fixed the issue with the driver's puddle light.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

The issue with the windows could also be related to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot. All window switches are routed through the master on the driver's door. When you take the door panel off you can check for loose connectors and check the wires for the switches.

If after all that you still have issues with the power windows then:

here is a great link for testing the windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out. :salute:

Back