• Register Today It's free!

quick strut instal

Thomas Mackin

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Tomorrow my quick struts arrive for the rear of my 02 xlt. I have been looking for instillation tips and can not find much. Any suggestions would be helpful. Already put pb blaster on and I have wrenches and an impact wrench. Hopefully it is easier than I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thomas,

The rear quick struts go in really easy. Installed them last night. My best advice, the 2x4 works wonders with and extra pair of hands to press down the lower control arm to install the strut, and a RATCHETING 13mm wrench will be your best friend! There wasn't enough room for me to slip a ratchet over the top bolts on mine, and removing the first set of bolts i was using a standard 13mm wrench which was a major PITA. After that, i went to Advanced Auto and bought a $12 ratcheting 13mm wrench. Very much worth the investment as it will easily cut your time and effort by about 75%! Just my 2cents. Good luck!

So there is room under/above the fender well to get a wrench on to get the bolts off the mount on the rear struts? I've got the rears in the garage and front are shipping today for my 04. Did your springs break on the rear? Did this improve the ride?

So there is room under/above the fender well to get a wrench on to get the bolts off the mount on the rear struts? I've got the rears in the garage and front are shipping today for my 04. Did your springs break on the rear? Did this improve the ride?

Josh, there is room to get the 13mm wrench in there to remove the nuts. You would be hard pressed to get a socket in there however, and a ratcheting 13mm wrench will be your best friend! For a little more clearance room, remove some of the inner fender liner and you will have more space. It's tight, but easily doable. My best advice would be to spend the $12 at autozone for a ratcheting 13mm wrench if you don't have one. It will make life alot easier on the front as well. Just my experience.

My rear springs were broken (2002). I installed Monroe Quick Struts on the rear and Monroe Reflex struts on the front. So far it improved my ride, i can really notice it over major bumps, small bumps it still hits hard and rides like a truck. I would also plan on getting an alignment right after you're done. I was planning on waiting a few weeks and just doing an allignment when i get new tires, and have since blown out my rear hubs.

Awesome thanks. You said everything I already had in mind!

quick struts

just installed 2 monroe quickstruts on the rear of my 02' it all went smooth except for the top 3 bolts on the struts. I had the ratcheting 13mm wrench but lucky me! The bolts were rusted so bad I had to basically cut them all off with a small grinder. But I am very happy with the results. This pic shows just how overdue the change was! Raised my vehicle at least 3 inches on the rear.
strut.jpg

Back