ATTN: TTB Gurus... i have a travel/binding issue...i think... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: TTB Gurus... i have a travel/binding issue...i think...

I see you found the binding (BTDT).
Tack-weld that cap back into the yoke, then smear some RTV around it to reseal it (mud & water will cause the slip-shaft to lock up with rust).
You also can trim up to an inch or so off the axle spline so it doesn't bottom out in the yoke as soon, though unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the air (jumping), that bit of loss in total droop travel shouldn't be detrimental to anything (it will not bottom out during articulated flex, though flexing may cause the shaft to rub within the passengerside beam window, requiring you to open it up some with a grinder)

For your steering, you'll need to match up the centerlink's position with that of your beam pivots (if that is a 3" JD lift, it'll need to be dropped down 1"). You can do this by simply remounting the tierod bracket using a block of steel between it & the centerlink tube (no need to mess around with the pitman or idler arms, other than gusseting it up some for extra strength).

th_centerlink.jpg

the shaft just kisses the window in the beam. enough to fub the dirt off it but so far not the paint. i shoulda opened it when i had everything out but didnt. i might have to trim those splines, and clearance the window while im in there.

the only thing i still cant figure out is what changed to cause the binding. i have the truck on the lift alot, monthly atleast and i see no signs of a bend in any of the brackets yet. i know the bind wasnt there up till this point.

thats a 6" JD lift with 8" skyjacker coils in it, yes the center link needs to be modded a we bit as a few of you have pointed out to level the links, as the're no where near level now. i think im gonna wait till i break the new springs in, see where it sits and then modify the centerlink from there.

So your running a 6" drop brackets and 8" coils?

Back