Interesting Find/2009 EB V6 Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interesting Find/2009 EB V6 Intake

Brent60

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Eddie Bauer
Okay so this may have been found before or discussed but just throwing this out there. I have been interested in doing the Airbox mods suggested on the forums about drilling holes and removing the restrictive tube from inside the intake hose. Upon disassembling my intake I may a few interesting discoveries.

First I discovered that there is actually already a forced Air induction type system built into the truck. I have the EB grill with the giant intake holes on the sides upon looking in I noticed that there are actual slats cut into the plastic to allow air in and passage on the side(Im guessing its not just a straight shot in because of water)

20110210153102.jpg

Then Straight behind that was this.

20110210153042.jpg

Upon opening the airbox I found this in the bottom

20110210153007.jpg

Reaching down into the airbox it feels like a direct shot from the opening with no restrictors.

My first question is Isnt this pretty much the results of drilling holes into your airbox? and instead of drilling into the box maybe about twenty or so drilled holes in that first plastic piece behind the grille and in doing this will I have to worry about water getting into the airbox either by drilling holes or cutting off that plastic.

I had then heard about a restrictive tube on the intake tubing and upon removing the top of the airbox from the main tube I found this.

20110210152945.jpg

It does look smaller but the larger area is where the MAF housing and the intake tube connect but yeah theres no little restrictor. Once again confused. (Prior 08 Mustang GT owner new to the EX) Was this something they changed for the Fourth Gen EX or Late models? It looks to me that all the things suggested by the others on the forum have been done..pretty much. The only final thing I noticed were these two extremely ugly and restrictive looking housing units.

20110210153635.jpg

20110210153643.jpg

My final questions, Are these somesort of external restrictor? Can they be removed? and How can I plug the holes?

So id like to get any opinions and once again Im sorry if this has already been discussed but just thought Id see what you guys knew. This thread is a bit rushed but ill be on most tonight discussing this. Anyways hope to hear from a few of you EX Gurus out there!:salute:

My final questions, Are these somesort of external restrictor?
Helmholtz resonators. No need to remove them, they don't rob the engine of power.

Back