Exhaust broken after cat: what are my options? (pics insinde) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust broken after cat: what are my options? (pics insinde)

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hello there; after going over some train tracks (nothing crazy) my truck had an awful exhaust leak. I found it to be the pipe which connects the muffler to the end of the cat has came off.

When the truck is running if I push the tailpipe towards the front of the truck I am able to stop the leak and reconnect things.

When I let go it has the tendency to go back to how it was and let out noise.

What are my options here? I have inspection in September and I am trying to brainstorm what would be my best and most cost efficient way of fixing this.

Here are some crude photos I took. Not the easiest trying to take photos with a phone, while holding a light and trying to move the pipe!

photo1670n.jpg

photo1671.jpg

photo1672.jpg

photo1672.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is pretty rusty. Any repair will not hold. You need a new exhaust.

Try to find a "mom and pop" type exhaust shop. Stay away from big name chain stores.

As suggested, you probably need some new components of your exhaust. However, it is likely in this case that the "doughnut seal" inside that joint has "dissolved". They can be replaced assuming that you can get the two bolts off that are holding the joint AND that the "flange wings" are not completed rusted to hold new bolts. I normally take a grinder and cut the bolts off if there is room (appears to be)... its faster / easier that fighting with the rust. Good luck.... otherwise, you are likely into a "few $$" if you can't do the "quick fix".

The exhaust flange gasket (doughnut) in there which will need to be replaced. The flange itself on the downstream side looks to be rusted through where it would normally hold the pipe. There is an aftermarket two piece bolt on flange replacement. The bolts can likely be reused if you can get them out. Heat and a long breaker bar will be needed. If you get a enough lift under the truck to work comfortably with a torch, this is a $30 permanent fix. If not, the book time is 1 hour. Muffler shops should be able to weld on a new flange and replace the doughnut for under $100. Call around and tell them exactly what you want done - flange & seal.

The exhaust flange gasket (doughnut) in there which will need to be replaced. The flange itself on the downstream side looks to be rusted through where it would normally hold the pipe. There is an aftermarket two piece bolt on flange replacement. The bolts can likely be reused if you can get them out. Heat and a long breaker bar will be needed. If you get a enough lift under the truck to work comfortably with a torch, this is a $30 permanent fix. If not, the book time is 1 hour. Muffler shops should be able to weld on a new flange and replace the doughnut for under $100. Call around and tell them exactly what you want done - flange & seal.

Let me just clarify something first. The whole flange does not move; that stays stationary. The pipe itself is removed from the flange. So I can move the labeled pipe away from the flange and both flanges stay in one spot.

Does your solution still remain?

EDIT: Just re-read your post it does seem you understand completely what I am saying; I will try to locate that flange replacement.

EDIT 2: I am only able to locate the gaskets and not the flanges themselves. Everyone I find isn't for a 98; grrr.

Done and done! Thank you so much for all your help everyone! Just ordered all my parts; rockauto's prices killed amazon's! Will order from them again!

Now to load up on some PB Blaster and wait for a day when I have a lot of patience...

Back