Helper Springs Cure Sagging Rear End? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helper Springs Cure Sagging Rear End?

tbirdkatz

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 2wd
I have a 99 RWD Eddie Bauer with the typical sagging rear end. It has 133k on it with the stock suspension. I was wondering the easiest and most cost effective way to cure the sagging rear end. It has never been towed with or anything. I live in the Memphis area. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try swapping your leaf springs from one side to the other, that would be free. The truck carries a lot more weight on the left than the right, so the spring wears faster.

It sags pretty evenly. Probably about 2 in lower than the front.

The easiest, fastest way to fix it is to get a set of rear shocks that have coil spring helpers.

I've gone the add-a-leaf and helper spring route before, and would recommend trying the "Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjustable" shocks first if you just want to get back to stock ride height.

They're much less hassle to install (no fighting with 10 year old rusty u bolts, cutting off the center pin bolt, etc).

I used the ProComp add a leaf, kind of a band aid, I suppose, but 34 dollars shipped it was one the best things I've done to it. Pretty easy install also.

I used add-a-leafs. You can get a lift of 1-3" with AAL's. Mine cost under $70 and added 2.5" of lift.

For $50 I put on a set of Monroe load adjust shocks. My factory shock were shot anyways. They leveled out rear end nicely without adding a harsh ride. With adding some warrior shackles I got about 3 inches of lift (only about an inch and a half over factory height).

photobucket-5729-1309125180984.jpg

Hey Dave, where did you find those shocks for 50.00?

For $50 I put on a set of Monroe load adjust shocks. My factory shock were shot anyways. They leveled out rear end nicely without adding a harsh ride. With adding some warrior shackles I got about 3 inches of lift (only about an inch and a half over factory height).

photobucket-5729-1309125180984.jpg

You got a part number for those shock by chance? or a link, I just put some new leafs on my truck, from the link above, from ATS, it is a great kit. it helped mine alot, but I just want some extra help, my old shocks are nothing but rust right now anyway.

I thought I got them from www.justsuspension.com but I can't find the email for the rears. I may of got them off amazon but I can't find them now for less than $80. I can tell you I really love the way they perform. They are Monroe 58617 SENSATRAC

Get them re-arched if you're planning on keeping it -

i too just put the monroe extra load shocks on my sport. i didn't measure but i definately got between 2-3 inches and a decent ride. paid $90 on rockauto

Browsing the forums looking for something to do to the ex today and saw this thread.

Went right out and got a set of the Monroes, paid too much locally but couldn't wait.
Been looking for a easy way to fix my saggy rear.

Worked great and huge improvement in ride. Love this place...

I was Debating on whether or not to purchase these Monroe Sensa-Tracs, after seeing others install these without hassle, I will go for it! www.rockauto.com was $40.00 less than local.

i know there's a lot of debate over helper shocks and that the top support/brace/crossmember thingy not being made to support the weight. but when you think about it that brace (when the shocks are functioning properly) withstands up and down forces as it dampens every movement of the suspension. so, imo, the extra 500lbs +/- load capability of the shock shouldn't be an issue. if i were hauling a heavy trailer i would definately go upgraded springs but for ass and gear i should be good

For what it's worth, I bought helpers and the didn't "help." If your shocks are worn, best to replace them first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also installed a set of the Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjust rear shocks on my sport a few weeks ago, and so far i am very pleased with them. They eliminate the sagging rear and the ride comfort is very nice. They are $97 for the pair on justsuspension.com now. I also put Sensa-Tracs up front too.

Back