• Register Today It's free!

Helper spring

mike-the-cobra

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Added a couple helper springs to the 1999 2 door, and it raised it a little, but unfortunately on both sides. Still have the sag.

I know I will probably need to bite the bullet and get new springs, but what do you guys think about a helper spring on just one side, the weak side? I am wondering if that would cause any kind of instability? Or would it just take the weak spring to where it was?

Any comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speaking hypothetically...

Using only one side... would make it unstable over bumps and turns.

However... if you slide the 'lower side' helper closer to the axle... and slide the 'taller side' helper closer to the rear bumper... it may help some.... just make sure to completely unload the springload/raise the truck by the frame first.

But in the long run... do it proper with new springs.

The front torsion adjustment may need tweaking. Depending on what helpers you have, there is sometimes several levels of height on installation. Mine has different holes where where a rivet (as a fulcrum) can go as needed.

The front torsion adjustment may need tweaking. Depending on what helpers you have, there is sometimes several levels of height on installation. Mine has different holes where where a rivet (as a fulcrum) can go as needed.

^^^ have the same pair... Superior I believe.

Yes... there is more than one hole for that rivet location... good call.

No adjustment or multiple holes on these....

Moving them might help, I put them the opposite (thought that's what I read somewhere...)

Thought I would give you guys an update;

Tried just one helper spring for one day, no good, still 2" off. (and it made me paranoid!)

Took the Explorer to Northern Springs shop here in the northern Detroit suburbs the next day. They said basically that the helper springs don't work. They said that the helper springs can actually force the car down. They adjusted the front first, one side the bolt was all the way up and the other was all the way down. There was a 2" difference in the front. They completely leveled the front.

After that they added a leaf to both rears, one just laid in and the other with tension. These 2 adjustments pretty much cured all. The difference now is less than 1/2". The ride is night and day difference. I no longer feel like I am on an angle!

Back