How To: Rear Hatch Dome Light Bypass Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Rear Hatch Dome Light Bypass Switch

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
For those that camp or tailgate with their 91-94s know that the dome light stays on anytime the hatch is open. The quick solution is to engage the latch on the driver's side of the hatch to turn the light off but don't forget to turn the door handle to release it before closing the door.

The switch and latch all in one:

m_DSC04241.jpg

This is a how-to for installing a switch that will turn the dome light on or off while the hatch is open.

Tools needed:

Phillips screwdriver
Utility knife
Putty knife or small flat screw driver for prying
pliers
wire cutters
wire strippers
wire crimpers
drill and drill bit
heat source for heat shrink

Supplies needed:

SPST toggle switch, o-ring sealed is preferred for an outside installation
~20" of 16ga wire
2 female spades
2 butt connectors
heat shrink
electrical tape
masking or duct tape
2 or 3 small zip ties

Procedure:

Remove the plastic trim from the rear hatch. Start by removing the pull handle (2 screws) and then remove carefully, it hooks into the hatch in addition to the 2 screws.
m_DSC04244.jpg

Next pry up the cover over the door lock with a putty knife or small flat screwdriver and remove the single screw

Remove the screws at the top of the hatch and then gently slide the entire cover towards the top of the hatch to unhook it from the hatch.

Peel back the plastic on the driver's side of the hatch.

Remove the plastic push pin as seen in the picture below. This holds the wire you will need to work with. Push up on it with a screwdriver or pliers while gently pulling up from inside the hatch.

m_DSC04246.jpg

Next remove the electrical connector from the door latch, it has a single retaining hook that you need to pry up with your fingers to remove.

m_DSC04249.jpg

Next, decide where you want your switch. I mounted mine in the side of the hatch just above the latch. You can mount it on the inside if you want just allow room for the switch and wires. Longer wire leads will be needed. Note that there is a small tab I had to bend back with pliers on the inside to make room for the switch in this position. I drilled a 1/2" hole with a step-bit to fit my switch.

m_DSC04252.jpg

Make your harness out of 2, 10" long pieces of 16ga wire. 2 female spades for the switch end (your switch may vary) and then a butt connector on the other with heat shrink.

m_DSC04253.jpg

Carefully cut back the layer of tape on the stock harness and then cut and strip 1 of the wires. It does not matter which one you cut.

m_DSC04254.jpg

Splice in the 2, 10" pieces of wire and then re-wrap with electrical tape. I added 2 zip ties as well.

m_DSC04255.jpg

Install the switch and tighten it and then hook up the wires. Reinstall the electrical plug into the latch and then the plastic push pin into the same hole it came out of. Secure any loose wires with a zip tie. Also note in the picture below the small tab with a hole in it is the one I had to bend back.

m_DSC04257.jpg

Use masking or duct tape to secure the plastic sheet and then reinstall the plastic trim on the hatch.

The finished switch, tucked out of the way and easy to reach. On leaves the dome lights on and in the off position turns them off by disconnecting the circuit.

m_DSC04262.jpg

Finished! Now you can simply flip the switch to turn the dome lights off while the rear hatch is still up and not have to get your hands dirty or find a screwdriver to close the stock latch or have to remember to unlock the latch before closing it.

..:shifty_ey ..Now I know why you laffed when I asked you what project you were working on, on the X..:p:

..Btw, I got swamped today so I didn't get to do the other thing yet..;)

Nice Write Up , I Installed A Ford Probe Dome light with a Switch built in for The door Switch or to turn it off All the way , Should Snag pics to show the Similarity to the Stock light

Thanks for the How-To article. My wife took the kids to the drive-in movie a couple weeks ago and called me at 2am for a jump start. Battery was dead because she had left the rear hatch open during both movies (5hrs +/-) She could not figure out how to make the light go out, so they colored a piece of paper with a black marker and taped it to the headliner to block the light. :bsnicker:

I figured out how to flip the lock mechanism to kill the light, but she's slammed the hatch closed 2 times without remembering to turn the handle and unlock it before she tries to shut it. Got another call at 2am the next weekend asking why the hatch won't close.

"You have to turn the handle to open the latch, honey. Or it won't close." They're addicted to drive-in movies. I don't get it, but whatever. It's cheap entertainment for 'em. I'm gonna put a switch in before they make another trip to the movies. I HATE that call at 2am.... "blah blah hatch is broken blah blah dead battery blah blah blah ...... can you come help us again?" :hammer:

Back