Humming/Vibration from front wheels while driving? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Humming/Vibration from front wheels while driving?

Fire488

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited V8
I am getting some noise from the front tires from around 35 mph to 70 mph. (humms) I just had my tires replaced and a 4 wheel alignment. The mechanic told me that everything looks and feels tight still. I have about 120k on my 2007 Ford Explorer Limited V8. I tried turning the wheel from left to right at various speeds to make the humming sound get worse, but it did no change all that much. I actually drove my vehicle with this problem from NJ to SC and back and the sound did not increase or get worse. I did try to move the wheel slightly left to right while traveling at 75 mph and although the sound was audibly lower at that speed, I did feel changes and slight vibrations in the steering wheel. I can feel those vibrations at all speeds that I can hear the humm as well.
This all came on after I purchased new tires after putting a few hundred miles on them. The truck does not pull at all and tire pressure is correct.
Not sure what to check , but I will look at the wheel bearings first.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like front wheel bearing/hub.

Sounds like front wheel bearing/hub.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I guess tomorrow morning I'll jack up the front end and see if i can feel it by turning the wheel by hand. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Front wheel bearings are my guess too. I don't know if you'll get any satisfaction with jacking it up and looking for symptoms. I have an 07 that recently had all four bearings replaced on and it didn't follow any of the usual patterns for getting the noise to show up (like turning a certain way - as you've tried). Didn't work with mine at ALL. The noise was just there - usually all the time from 35-70 or so.

When you do replace those, do yourself a favor and get GOOD quality parts. My father-in-law replaced the fronts on his Aviator with Federals and less than a year later he needs them done again. Go with either Motorcraft, or Timken. You can shop them around online for better prices.

Front wheel bearings are my guess too. I don't know if you'll get any satisfaction with jacking it up and looking for symptoms. I have an 07 that recently had all four bearings replaced on and it didn't follow any of the usual patterns for getting the noise to show up (like turning a certain way - as you've tried). Didn't work with mine at ALL. The noise was just there - usually all the time from 35-70 or so.

When you do replace those, do yourself a favor and get GOOD quality parts. My father-in-law replaced the fronts on his Aviator with Federals and less than a year later he needs them done again. Go with either Motorcraft, or Timken. You can shop them around online for better prices.

Thank you for the advice and that sounds exactly like what I have with the noise and speeds you described. I have been reading that many people are replacing the entire hub assembly. I wonder if that is the route I should take?
Looks like it will be a relatively simple repair baring anything unforseen.

In the front that's the only way: entire hub assembly. Simple job. Motorcraft is using Timken, so get just Timken from eBay for about 220. Do not go for the ones for $ 99, I had 2 of those, lasted maybe 40 miles all together - seriously :)

In the front that's the only way: entire hub assembly. Simple job. Motorcraft is using Timken, so get just Timken from eBay for about 220. Do not go for the ones for $ 99, I had 2 of those, lasted maybe 40 miles all together - seriously :)

Looking now. Is motor craft original equipment?

Yes, it is. It will come in motorcraft box, but when you look at the bearing itself, it will have tiny "TIMKEN" on it.

What type of tires did you install? If you went from a road tire to an all terrain or a mud tire you will hear the hum of the tread on the pavement. Do you have 4x4? I have heard of some guys having a noticeable hum from the front end rolling, which in my past 4x4 experience was just normal wear and tear.

What type of tires did you install? If you went from a road tire to an all terrain or a mud tire you will hear the hum of the tread on the pavement. Do you have 4x4? I have heard of some guys having a noticeable hum from the front end rolling, which in my past 4x4 experience was just normal wear and tear.

The problem did start shortly after having these 4 new tires installed, but they were very quite for about 200 miles or so. may just be coincidence. The vehicle is a 2007 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4x4.

235/65R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Uni-T AQII

Unless there is a fault with one of the tires the tread pattern on those should be fairly quiet.

Don't forget SKF as a good quality hub. I used Timken for fronts and SKF for the rears. After the repair, the quiet was deafening!

Don't forget SKF as a good quality hub. I used Timken for fronts and SKF for the rears. After the repair, the quiet was deafening!

The rear is not making any noise at this time, should I do those as well?

Unless there is a fault with one of the tires the tread pattern on those should be fairly quiet.

Visually the tires appear to be fine and are wearing flat. They also balance well. still could be the tires i guess, but the bearings do have 120k on them so they are due anyway I guess.

Sound update: Today when driving the vehicle the sound or hum feels and sounds exactly like when the truck is in 4v4 high. It may be stuck in 4v4, but I have no way of knowing that. I switch from 4v4 auto to 4v4 high and hear little if no difference at all.

I found the sound masked lots of other stuff going on in the truck.

Get a tech to take a ride with you. Someone who deals with this stuff - day-in-day-out would have a better idea of what to tell you.

If that truck has never had the hubs replaced, then the fronts are long overdue. I thought I didn't have noise from my backs either, but I did and replacing the backs revealed it. I replaced the backs under advice of the techs. It is an expensive proposition so I understand your reluctance to jump in. How long do you plan to keep the truck?

You can save at least 100 between a dealer and online.

Do the rears when they need to be changed. I did both of mine and it's a pain. The wheel was wiggeling in both cases, you'll hear it and feel it in your hands.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can save at least 100 between a dealer and online.

I saved $400 on parts when you figure both fronts and rears ($300 front - $100 rears). I paid $600 for all the parts, but my dealer wanted 1k for all. I said I'll bring my own parts thanks.

Back