Derrick C.

Moderator Drinkin Corona
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 92 XL
I was getting sick of trying to work 3 pedals while trying to negotiate rocks. So I added a hand throttle. Its actually a gear changeing switch for a mountain bike. It goes all the way up 3500 rpm and as low as 1000 rpm. Rock crawling has been like driving an automatic tranny since.

Attachments

• handthrottle010001.jpg
    handthrottle010001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres how I attached it to the throttle cable on the throttle body. Excuse the dirt there was a mudd puddle I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• handthrottle020001.jpg
    handthrottle020001.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,396

Sure glad I have a automatic so I don't have to worry about all that stuff.

I think Rick has the same kind of set up in his truck.

That's awesome! Looks good.

now does that run paralel to your gas pedal or replace it? 3500 is high enough for crawling but not high enough for bombing around the city or on the freeway

that's a great idea. i'll hae to do that when i build up my explorer.

jim, they have both the hand throttle and the gas pedal I think. The hand throttle makes it much easier in a manual tranny so you don't have to have the clutch in when crawling, right?

Yep alecs right.

I still have my gas pedal. The hand throttle is for rock crawling only. I can just click it up a few notches and it wheels like an automatic tranny. Instead of killing it or burning the clutch. Best $12 I ever spent!!:)

it's also good if you have a high power system in your truck. the alternator puts out more power at higher RPMs. :)

Originally posted by leenjen
it's also good if you have a high power system in your truck. the alternator puts out more power at higher RPMs. :)

hahaha... you can turn a making a new gas pedal into a post about stereo's....

sweet.... :chug:

you could have one coming out of the car so when your db dragging and have your controls outside, yo can also rev the car... lol

Arent your pedal and the hand throttle directly connected that way? What happens when you drive normally on the road? Do you have to disconnect the hand one in order to go higher than 3500 rpm? Maybe I'm confused about the way you installed it.

Originally posted by 98FordX24
Arent your pedal and the hand throttle directly connected that way? What happens when you drive normally on the road? Do you have to disconnect the hand one in order to go higher than 3500 rpm? Maybe I'm confused about the way you installed it.

my understanding is basically there is only so far he can press the handle, about 3500rpms.... but with the pedal, you can always press it to the floor

But if they are directly connected, when he pushes the pedal far enough and the hand one cant go any further, that will keep the pedal from going further because there is no more cable left on the hand one. :confused:

but the if you can press the gas pedal 6 inches, and you can only press the hand brake in 2 inches.. you see what I mean..... ? ? ? ?

Ok ummm I'm not sure how to explain this. With the hand throttle it only goes up to 3500 rpms because of the tension on the hand throttle cable not the throttle body cable.

See in the second pic if you look closely the hand throttle cable is just looped around the throttle cable. When I use the gas pedal the hand throttle doesn't move at all.

Right, I was thinking backwards. It makes sense now. I was thinking that it would pull on the cable rather than take tension off of it.

I have the same one Rick has. Had it for a few years now. It works GREAT on the rocks! It can be fun for doing brake stands in the mud with the hubs un-locked too... :D Mine is hooked up so I can take it to the red. :D I bought mine through Rubicon Express just because I figured it would come with decent instructions. It didn't if I did it again I would just buy the stuff from a bike store.

I can use mine on the highway if I want, it's sort of a cruise control for me too. :D Its fun getting used to using it too. Makes having a Stick that much more fun.

Yeah I can use mine as a cruise control too. As long as its a flat road. Hills give it to much trouble.

but dont all explorers already have cruise control? i never saw one without. the buttons are built into the steering wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using it as a cruise control on the highway sounds pretty risky to me, factory cruise controls auto disengage if you put on the brake. If you are using the hand throttle and something bolts across the road, you have to first kill the hand throttle, and then brake.

Back