• Register Today It's free!

Blowing Hoses

bunyun76

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Ok i remember seeing this once before but i can not find the answer. I have a 92 X, with the 4.0 no 4wd. Sometimes when i start it blows the hoses off this small piece on the rear of the engine. I have no idead what this piece is called but its on the upper drivers side of the engine in the rear. 5 hoses connect to it. My just want to know what is causing the engine to blow this hoses off and what can be done. The engine will still run fine after i but them on but it is annoying that this happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yada yada yada

Check the hoses for slight oilyness. This problem usually occurs when the transmission vacuum modulator starts leaking. This softens the hoses and they fall off. Check tranny fluid level too. It may be down by now. Vacuum modulator is only about $15 but a pain to get at. About $140 if you have someone do it. If you put it off, keep checking levels and buy some hose clamps.

It could be your EGR vaccum. perhaps your EGR is clogged?

Just happened to my son for the first time too. He said the engine "popped" and then ran very rough. I noticed 2 hoses off, replaced them and running fine.

I too would like to know why it popped. Anyone

Sounds like it is backfiring up through the intake and blowing off your vacuum lines.

Opera House you are right the hoses are covered in oil thanks for the help

LONESTAR: or ANYONE: What causes backfires. My 92 X does this at startup after sitting for a while. An underhood explosion occurs with a puff of white smoke all I have to do is pop the hood, replace whichever vacuum hose blew off, then it starts right up. But when warm, no problems and decent power/gas mileage, it is piXXing me off. Help

Blown Hoses

My 91 4.0 blows off hoses if it "coughs" when you start it also and I would sure like to know how to cure it. Especially since the little woman drives it and gives me the business when it happens.

my toyota backfires on deceleration when i use compression braking..... from what i have learned about it, my carb settings and timing are slightly off

The first thing I would start looking at would be the fuel pressure and the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). It might also be caused by a faulty sensor.

Any update as to the startup back fire and vacuum hose(s) poping off?

Mine happened today at cold startup.

According to a mechanic I spoke to, trans fluid is more flammable than oil. When my truck backfired thru the intake, he said the tranny fluid trapped in my intake from the bad modulator evaporated, filling the intake with flammable gas. I started the truck and it ignited. It is not real rare to get an occasional backfire in the intake, the fittings should be tight enough not to blow off. The elbow fittings on the vacuum tee at the back of the manifold shout be tight. If they are loose enough to blow off or be removed easily they need to be replaced. I replaced the four elbows with new ones from the dealer, and they were a b*tch to get on. It takes a fair amount of effort to get them back off. That's how you know they seal well. If they are oily, replace your vacuum modulator valve, drive a few miles to flush out the last of the fluid in the lines, and then replace any lines that have softened and swelled.

Thanks everyone for the above info :thumbsup:. Last night when I was leaving work I heard a pop from the intake manifold and 3 of the vacuum lines blew off. Needless to say the engine died. The rubber fittings were oily and slid off easily.. I will now look into replacing the vacuum modulator valve

I do wonder if the cold played any part in this.. It was in the single digits last night..

when my vacuum lines popped off my mustang, you could tell instantly...such a relief for it to be an easy fix. when you hera that after a hard accelration, one tends to worry...ya know

Back